A business credit card that lets you enjoy premium Delta flyer benefits and earn Medallion Status faster.
- Get this card if you often fly Delta and want to achieve Medallion Status.
- Pick something else if you don’t want to pay high annual fee.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher.
|Product Name||Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card|
|Card Type||American Express|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||17.74%, 21.74% or 26.74% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR||0% for the first 6 months (then 17.74%, 21.74% or 26.74% variable)|
|Cash Advance Rate||27.24% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $38|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Rates & Fees||Rates & Fees|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1 miles|
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card is the mid-tier card of the Delta suite of cards offered by American Express. It lets you earn the same 2x miles on Delta purchases as the other two, and for purchasing Delta-marketed flight tickets you get additional 5x miles just by being a SkyMiles member. All in all you can earn 7x miles for Delta flights. Once you reach a Medallion Status, you’ll earn up to 11x miles.
In addition, you earn miles with Delta’s partner airlines, including: AeroMexico, Korean Air, Virgin Atlantic, Aeroflot, China Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines and more. Another great feature of the Delta cards is that you can redeem your miles for the partner airlines as well.
And aside from earning miles, you get a decent easy-to-earn welcome offer, an annual companion certificate, free first checked bag for you and your companions, priority boarding, Delta Sky Club® discounted access and more.
What can I buy with Delta Skymiles?
In general, flights have the highest redeem value of an average 1.5 cents per mile.
Among the products and services offered at the Delta marketplace, you can use miles to buy:
- $250 Gift card for 35,700 miles — value of 0.7 cents per mile.
- $150 Samsonite 20″ carry-on bag for 26,600 miles — value of 0.56 cents per mile.
- $1,299 Apple MacBook Pro 13″ for 258,200 miles — value of 0.50 cents per mile.
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in the first three months of card membership.
Also, earn a $100 statement credit after you use your card to make a Delta purchase within the first three months.
For every direct Delta purchase you earn 2x miles. For all other purchases, you earn 1 mile per dollar spent. Redeem miles for flights, seat upgrades, gift cards, shopping and more.
Intro APR: 0% on purchases for the first six months.
After the intro APR expires, you’ll have a purchase APR of 17.74%, 21.74% or 26.74% variable.
Get a domestic main cabin companion ticket every year you renew your card. Taxes and fees of up to $75 are not covered with the companion certificate.
First checked bag free.
Get a first checked bag free for you and nine other passengers traveling on your reservation. With this perk, you can save $50 on a round trip. If you travel at least once a month, that’s $600 saved on checked bags per year.
Discounted Delta Sky Club® access.
Enjoy discounted Delta Sky Club® access of $29 per person for you and up to two guests. Regular price of a day pass is $59 per person, which means you can save up to $360 annually if you visit Delta Sky Club® once a month.
You’ll also like
Spend $25,000 with your card in one calendar year and earn additional 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs. Spend $25,000 more and earn another 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs. Paired with the card’s welcome offer, this automatically earns you Silver Medallion Status if you haven’t already reached it by flying with Delta.
Board your plane sooner with Zone 1 priority boarding.
Get 20% back as a statement credit for all in-flight purchases on food, beverages and audio headsets.
0% foreign transaction fees.
You won’t pay any international transaction fees when you use your card abroad. Other cards have up to 3% fees for every transaction. This may not sound like a lot, but it can add up on a trip spanning several days.
Travel insurance and roadside assistance.
You’re insured against accidental death and dismemberment when traveling on paid-for public air, land and sea carriers. Also, your baggage is insured against damage, loss or theft.
And if you need roadside help for towing, changing a tire or charging your car battery — or if you’re traveling more than 100 miles from home and need an emergency service — the card’s roadside and global assistance hotlines are one call away.
What to watch out for
To get all the benefits this card offers, you’ll have to pay a $195 annual fee. However, if you make at least four round trips per year, you’ll offset the annual fee with the first checked bag free perk alone.
Avoid late payments.
You’ll pay fees up to $38 for late payments. If you make two late or returned payments in 12 months, Amex will stick you with a penalty APR of 29.99%. You’ll need to make 12 consecutive timely payments to remove the penalty APR.
No balance transfers.
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card has no balance transfer option.
Consider other cards if …
You often fly with other airlines.
Depending on the airline you prefer to fly with, you may consider any of the following cards and enjoy the frequent flyer benefits that come with them:
- United MileagePlus® Explorer Business Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
- Alaska Airlines Visa® Business Card
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
- Hawaiian Airlines® Business Mastercard®
- JetBlue Business Mastercard®
You want a general travel rewards card.
Consider the Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express. It allows you to earn 3x points from a category of your choice, for example flight tickets purchased directly from airlines. It also offers 2x points on four other categories, 2x points at American Express Travel and 1x point on all other purchases. For the highest redeem value, book flights and hotels with points through Amex Travel.
You want cash back.
The SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express has one of the largest cashback rates of 5% for US office supplies and wireless telephone services, 3% back on a category of your choice and 1% back on all other purchases. The 5% and 3% cash back apply for the first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year, after that a 1% cashback rate applies.
You want an intro APR on balance transfers.
Consider the Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express. You get a 0% intro APR period for 15 months on balance transfers and purchases. After that, the rate reverts to a variable 13.24%, 17.24% or 21.24%.
Compare travel credit cards
What size business is the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card good for?
Small to medium size businesses that spend anywhere from $30,000 to $50,000 per year and frequently fly on Delta could find this card useful. With annual purchases of up to $50,000, you’ll get to use the card’s full potential and earn Medallion Status if you’ve already earned the welcome offer. After that, you’ll get to earn even more miles on Delta flights.
What is Medallion Status?Delta’s tiered program for the most loyal customers is known as the Medallion Status. It gives you additional benefits, such as unlimited complimentary upgrades to Delta Comfort+® and first class, waived baggage fees, priority customer service, hotel and car rental benefits and more.
How do I reach Medallion Status?
There are three points systems used to reach Medallion status — Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs), Medallion® Qualification Segments (MQSs) and Medallion® Qualification Dollars (MQDs).
How do I earn these points?
- Medallion® Qualification Miles are earned on the distance you fly and your ticket fare class — the further you travel on a higher fare class, the more MQMs you earn.
- Medallion® Qualification Segments are earned on the number of flights you take and the number of flight segments within each trip. Flight segments include any airport stops you make on your flight toward your destination.
- Medallion® Qualification Dollars are earned on the amount of money you spend on Delta and its partners’ flights.
How do I reach Medallion Status?
- Silver Medallion Status. 25,000 MQMs or 30 MQSs, and $3,000 MQDs or an MQD waiver.
- Gold Medallion Status. 50,000 MQMs or 60 MQSs, and $6,000 MQDs or an MQD waiver.
- Platinum Medallion Status. 75,000 MQMs or 100 MQSs, and $9,000 MQDs or an MQD waiver.
- Diamond Medallion Status. 125,000 MQMs or 140 MQSs, and $15,000 MQDs or an MQD waiver.
The MQD requirement to earn Platinum, Gold or Silver Medallion Status is waived if you make $25,000 or more in eligible purchases with your Platinum Delta card during the year.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you must be at least 18 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the US.
Provide the following business information when you fill out the form:
- Business name and contact information.
- Industry type, company structure and years in business.
- Annual business revenue and monthly spending.
- For partnerships and corporations you’ll need the federal tax ID.
Provide personal information such as:
- Name and address.
- Social Security number and date of birth.
- Annual income and income sources.
- Delta SkyMiles number if you have one.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with a credit score in the mid 600s, but it’s best to apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or more. If you have a high credit score and low utilization, you can get a higher credit line.
What do customers say about the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card?
The Better Business Bureau rates American Express with an A+. As of this writing, 175 customers have left reviews, resulting in a composite score of 3.78 out of 5 stars. Most complaints are about the poor customer support service. On the other hand, reviewers on the Amex website praise the customer support.
Customers using the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card are satisfied with the perks, especially with the companion certificate, free checked bags and high number of miles they can earn.
How to apply for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card?
- Go to the American Express website.
- Select the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from the list of business cards and click Apply now.
- Fill out the form with the required information.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card?
American Express can instantly decide on your application. Once approved, expect your card to arrive in 7 to 10 business days by mail.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Amex® mobile app. The app is available for both Android and iOS — use it to set payment alerts, track your spending, pay bills, find offers and more.
- Pay on time. Always make your payments on time to avoid fees of up to $38 and a penalty APR of 29.99% variable. Especially since the penalty APR lasts for at least 12 months.
- Customer service. Call 800-528-4800 if you need a hand. If you prefer online chat with a customer service representative, go to the Amex site and use the online chat feature.
At first glance, the $195 annual fee could make you wonder if the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card is good card for your business. But if you spend up to $50,000 per year and you make at least four round trips with Delta, you could offset your card’s annual fee and earn Medallion Status benefits. Plus, you’ll receive an annual companion airfare ticket that can be worth more than the annual fee.
If you spend less than $30,000 and you make at least two round trips per year, consider the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card. You get similar perks for a $95 annual fee ($0 intro fee for the first year).
Before you apply, consider comparing other business credit cards. You may be able to find product that better suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions