Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Review: Wise (TransferWise) money transfers
Save money with the mid-market rate and a transparent fee structure.
Can I use Wise in the Philippines?
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to transfer money from an account in the Philippines as of November 2020.
If you want to transfer money to another currency, you’ll need another international money transfer service. Read our guide on sending money overseas to make sure you get the best deal possible.
Why should I consider Wise?
- Easy to use. We were able to sign up for an account and initiate a transfer through the website in less than three minutes.
- Affordability. When compared to a bank, Wise’s fees and exchange rates will almost always be better.
- Access to the mid-market rate. Wise offers the mid-market rate on all transfers sent through its network. All you have to think about are fees when comparing transfers.
- High daily sending limits. A cap of USD$1,000,000 per transfer is in place, but some sending methods and locations may lower that limit.
- Multiple payment options. Pay with a debit card, credit card or bank account with ACH or wire transfers.
What to be aware of
- Bank account transfers only. Funds must be sent to the recipient’s bank account; there is no option for cash pickup.
- Two-step process. You’ll first send the money to Wise, and then Wise will deposit the money into your recipient’s bank account. This extra step can sometimes add time to your transfer.
- Requires ID verification. You’ll have to provide your photo ID, proof of address, and/or a picture of you holding your ID before sending your first transfer through Wise.
- Fees. Because Wise offers the mid-market rate, it relies on fees to make a profit.
How long does a Wise money transfer take?
Wise transfer speeds are dependent on how much you are willing to pay in fees and when you send your transfer.
- Fastest option — instant
When using a credit or debit card, you’ll pay more in fees, but your money can arrive instantly in your recipient’s bank account. Your credit card might charge you an additional cash advance fee, further increasing the cost of your total transfer.
- Cheapest option — up to four business days
Making a direct debit to pay for your transfer is typically the cheapest way to send money through Wise, but it’s almost always the slowest. It typically takes two days for Wise to receive your money and an additional two days to transfer the funds to your recipient’s bank account.
What currencies can I send with Wise?
Wise offers money transfers to over 50 different currencies. The following are some of the more popular ones:
- CNY Chinese yuan
- EUR Euro
- GBP British pound
- INR Indian rupee
- MXN Mexican peso
- LKR Sri Lankan rupee
- PHP Philippine peso
- VND Vietnamese dong
Must read: Temporary sending limit to Mexico
As of 20 Jan 2021, a temporary limit of US$980 (or the same amount in Mexican pesos) has been placed on transfers to Mexico by Wise. We’ll update this information once the limit has been lifted.
Is Wise safe?
Wise was founded in 2010 and serves millions of customers a year. Wise is fully registered and accredited by many global agencies, using the following global standards to protect your money:
- Follows strict rules set by regulatory agencies. In every country where Wise operates, it is registered with the appropriate regulatory agencies when necessary.
- Bank-level data security. Encryption and data storage at Wise is handled in the same way as your bank.
- Two-factor authentication. Protect your account with 2FA, with optional biometric locks on the Wise mobile app.
- In-house 24/7 digital security team. A security team works around the clock to monitor transactions for suspicious activity and accounts for fraudulent logins.
Wise reviews and complaints
As of October 2020, Wise’s reviews are moderately positive overall, with 86% of reviews on Trustpilot ranking it as Excellent, which is better than many competing money transfer companies. Overall, Wise’s clear fee structure and transparent rates make it easy to trust, but that doesn’t mean it is perfect. Customers often complain about slow customer service and turnaround times as well as the fact that missing a dash in your transfer account number can heavily delay your transfer.
How can I pay for my Wise transfer?
Customers can pay using the following methods:
- Debit or credit card. These payments are processed immediately.
- Direct debit. You’ll need to allow several business days for your funds to reach Wise.
The funds are deposited directly into your recipient’s bank account once Wise receives your payment. Wise allows you to make secure one-off transfers to a range of destinations around the globe. However, there currently is no option to set up recurring transfers.
How do I send money through Wise?
Follow these six steps to have money sent in as little as a few minutes:
- Register. Create your free account online or through the mobile app.
- Enter your sending amount. Look at the fees and delivery time.
- Add recipient’s bank account information. Make sure to include the account number and international identifier (Eg, SWIFT or IBAN code).
- Verify your identity. Have your passport or valid driver’s license ready.
- Pay. Enter your bank account, debit, credit card or digital wallet details to pay.
- Track your transfer. Check the status online or in the mobile app.
How do I reach Wise’s customer service?
Wise offers support in two ways:
To contact Wise by email, visit the Contact Us page and enter your email address, select the topic of the question and provide as much detail as possible about your problem.
Wise provides phone support in 12 regions. Both standard users and Wise Business users can contact support during business hours.
- Customer service +61 2 8046 6244
Does Wise have a mobile app?
Wise has a mobile app on both the Google Play and Apple App stores. The app makes it possible to do the following:
- Quickly repeat a transfer. See a complete list of past money transfers and send to past recipients in a few taps.
- Log in with biometrics. On phones that support face scanning and thumbprint reading, use these features to lock your Wise account.
- Get rate updates. Waiting for the perfect exchange rate? Set up rate tracking to get updates when the price is in your favor.
- Increase your payment methods. Pay for your Wise transfer with Apple Pay and Google Pay while using the mobile app.
|Ratings accurate as of April 13, 2020|
|Google Play Store||4.4 out of 5 — based on 76,666 customer ratings|
|Apple App Store||4.7 out of 5 — based on 19,100 customer ratings|
More on the best money transfer apps
Compare Wise to other transfer services
See how wise stacks up against the competition by comparing it with other providers.
Wise is a straightforward company that presents fees and exchange rates alongside your transfer. Given that you can lock-in your transfer rate for many hours after first seeing it, it’s worth checking Wise’s prices first before exploring the competition. If you are ready to make your transfer with Wise now, head on over to get started by creating your free account.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use Wise for business payments?
Yes. Set up a business profile with Wise to begin saving on business payments.
Does Wise have a debit card?
Yes, Wise has a debit card in major countries. With it, you can spend any currency on your card and use it to withdraw money across the world for free (up to EUR€250 a month). You can find out more about our experience with it in the video below.
How can I cancel my Wise transfer?
In your account, navigate to the pending transfer and there’ll be a button called Cancel transfer. This will work if the money is still being sent to Wise or if it’s being converted. However, once Wise pays your recipient, there’s no way to get it back. If the details are incorrect, the money will usually bounce. Wise will let you know in this case, so you’ll have the opportunity to update the details or cancel the transaction entirely.
Always make sure you trust the business or person you’re sending a money transfer to.
More guides on Finder
Finder Global Crypto Trading Platform Awards 2023
Find out how major crypto exchanges and brokers fared in 2023’s Global Crypto Trading Platform Awards.
How to get the best exchange rate on international money transfers
Start saving money when making an international money transfer overseas by getting the best exchange rate. Compare services to get a great rate.
Bank codes demystified: IBAN and SWIFT
You’ve likely encountered these codes when sending money worldwide. But what are they and how do they help?
Ria money transfer review
With 507,000+ locations in 165 countries, Ria is one of the largest providers of international money transfers in the world. It offers great exchange rates, minimal fees and fast, secure transactions when you need to send funds overseas.
Look to Finder to decide whether Moneygram is a suitable option for your money transfer needs.
How to buy STEPN (GMT) in the Philippines
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy STEPN, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (GMT).
How to buy ApeCoin (APE) in the Philippines
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy ApeCoin, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (APE).
STEPN (GMT) price, chart, coin profile and news
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy STEPN, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on GMT.
ApeCoin (APE) price, chart, coin profile and news
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy ApeCoin, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on APE.
STEPN (GMT) price prediction
Read our expert analysis on STEPN and how the token will perform in the future.