PayPal Extras Mastercard® review
A no-annual-fee credit card for those who spend a lot on gas, dining, PayPal and eBay.
- Get this card to earn accelerated rewards on several categories of purchases, including those online.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for an intro APR.
- Apply with a good credit score of 740 or higher.
Up to 3x
19.99%, 23.99% or 26.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
How to apply for the PayPal Extras Mastercard®
- Log in to your PayPal account and look for the PayPal Extras Mastercard®. Click Apply now.
- Complete the application with your personal and financial information.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to get my PayPal Extras Mastercard®?
Synchrony Bank offers conditional approval online, which means you could see a decision in under a minute.
After you’re approved, your card arrives by mail in seven to 10 business days. If your card doesn’t show a pending status, you can use a temporary credit line to make purchases before you even receive the card. When you get the card, your full credit line then becomes available.
- Rewards. Earn 3x points on gas and dining, 2x points on PayPal and eBay purchases and 1x on everything else. Redeem points for gift cards, cash back to your PayPal account, merchandise or travel vouchers.
- No annual fee. Earn rewards on your purchases without an annual fee.
How many points can I earn with the PayPal Extras Mastercard®?
|Where you spend||How much you spend||Points you earn|
If this looks like your annual spending, the card could earn you 24,000 points. Considering the value of points for cash back is 0.83 cents as of October 2018, the points you’ve accumulated are worth around $200.
You’ll also like
- Extended warranties. You can double the original manufacturer’s warranty for up to one year on eligible purchases made with your card.
- Price protection. If the price of an eligible item you buy with your card drops within 60 days of your purchase, you might be reimbursed the difference.
- Identity theft services. Protect your ID through alerts that can alert you to theft. If you’re the victim of ID theft, get help with resolving your ID and replacing your cards immediately.
What to watch out for
- PayPal account required. You must have an active PayPal account in good standing to apply for the card.
- Potentially high APR. You’ll get a variable APR of 19.99%, 23.99% or 26.99% that depends on your creditworthiness. The average APR for most cards is 16%, which makes the APR you get with this card relatively high. To avoid high interest, you’ll need to pay off your card in full each month.
- Foreign transaction fees. When you use your card outside of the US, you’ll pay a fee equal to 3% of each transaction.
- Loss of points. If you pay late or less than the minimum at least two months in a row, you risk losing your points. You can also lose them if your account is closed for any reason or you don’t make a purchase within 24 consecutive months.
- No intro APR. The card offers no intro APR period on purchases, making it a poor choice for carrying a balance or consolidating balances.
Which credit bureau does PayPal use?
Synchrony Bank issues this PayPal card, and in most cases they pull your credit from TransUnion.
Compare rewards credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What should I know before I apply?
You must be a US citizen and at least 18 years old to apply for the card.
In your application, you’ll provide personal and financial information that includes your:
- Full name and contact details.
- Social Security number and date of birth.
- Annual income and housing information.
At the end of your application, you can sign up for the optional card security program, which allows you to cancel an account balance of up to $10,000 in cases of unemployment, disability, hospitalization, loss of life, a leave of absence or a nursing home stay.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with a score in the low 600s. For a better chance of approval and a higher credit line, apply with a good to excellent credit score of 740 or higher.
PayPal Extras Mastercard® reviews and complaints
Satisfied customers say they received high credit lines or managed to increase their credit line after only a few months of using the card.
As of October 2020, Synchrony Bank earns an A+ from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which has accredited the bank since 2006. Most customer complaints on Synchrony’s BBB page relate to poor customer service from the bank in general and hidden fees attached to cards.
To avoid surprise fees, carefully read your card agreement and ask questions about anything you might not understand. As of this writing, Synchrony Bank has answered or resolved its complaints posted to the BBB.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the PayPal mobile app. Use the app for your online purchases or to send money to nearly anyone for free.
- Avoid interest. Pay your balance before it’s due to avoid late payment fees and unnecessary interest.
- Customer service. Call PayPal customer support at 866-657-5788.
How do I redeem rewards from PayPal Extras Mastercard®?
To redeem your points:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click PayPal Mastercard and wait for a transfer to the Synchrony Bank site.
- Click Rewards & Offers.
- Select the category you want to use.
The PayPal Extras Mastercard® has minimum redemption requirements that depend on what you’re redeeming your points toward:
- Gift cards require a minimum of 800 points.
- Merchandise requires a minimum of 3,000 points.
- The minimum cash back of $50 requires 6,000 points.
- To get a travel voucher, you need a minimum of 15,000 points.
To redeem your points for flights, hotel stays and car rentals, you must book your travel at least 21 days in advance.
Call 866-300-6432 with any questions about rewards redemption.
If your spending tends to focus on gas, dining and PayPal or eBay purchases, the PayPal Extras Mastercard® could be a solid way to earn rewards for gift cards, merchandise, cash back or travel. And no annual fee makes it a good long-term choice.
To find a card that meets your specific spending and financial needs, read our guide to rewards credit cards.
Frequently asked questions