NOW REWARDS Mastercard® review
Qualify to earn 2x points on all purchases without paying an annual fee.
- Get this card if you are already a Northwest Federal credit union member and you want a card with a flat rewards rate on all purchases.
- Pick something else if you want a higher rewards rate on select categories or if you need a 0% intro APR period.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 2x
8.24% to 18%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||500 bonus points when you log into rewards site in first 30 days|
|Rewards||Up to 2x points on all purchases when you meet monthly requirements, 1.25x points on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||8.24% to 18% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||8.24% to 18% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The NOW REWARDS Mastercard® is one of the many flat-rate rewards credit cards you can get. What flat-rate means is you earn 1.25x points on all purchases with no category restrictions. This is slightly below competitor cards, which often come with a 1.5x points rate. However, you can boost this to 2x points on all purchases if you qualify for it.
Other benefits that come with the card are the relatively low interest rates that start from 8.24% variable depending on your creditworthiness, and a 500-point signup bonus earned by simply logging into your rewards account within the first 30 days of card membership. With a 1 cent per point redemption value, 500 points are worth $50. Even though this is well below the $150 and $200 bonuses you can earn with similar cards, this one is way easier to earn.
On the downside, you don’t get a 0% intro APR period on purchases or balance transfers, a perk offered by most competitor cards, and you have to be a Northwest Federal member to apply for the card.
Overall, if you already have a relationship with Northwest Federal, the NOW REWARDS Mastercard® could be a solid addition to your wallet. But if you’re looking to only get this card and not use any of the other financial services offered by the credit union, you’ll be better off with the
Citi® Double Cash Card, which offers the higher rewards rate with no strings attached.
How to apply for the NOW REWARDS Mastercard®
To apply for the card, you have to be a Northwest Federal credit union member. Once you become a member, you can apply for the card. Here’s how:
- Visit the Northwest Federal credit union website.
- Find the NOW REWARDS Mastercard® credit card.
- Select Apply now.
- Fill out the application form with information such as your name, address, SSN, Northwest Federal credit union membership number, housing status and financial information.
- Review the form and apply.
How do get Northwest Federal credit union membership
You can become a member if you are:
- Employed by company partners.
- Employed by or volunteer in partner organizations.
- Employed by or are a retiree of some US government agencies.
- Become a member of partner organizations.
What credit score do I need?
Increase your chances of approval with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
NOW REWARDS Mastercard® benefits
- Rewards. Earn 1.25x points on all purchases, or 2x points on all purchases if you qualify. To qualify for the higher rewards rate, you need to have an average daily balance of $2,000 in Northwest Federal accounts — savings, money market or checking. You also need to use additional Northwest Federal products or services from two or more of these categories: mortgage, auto loan, personal loan, home equity loan, land loan, IRA savings, IRA certificate or regular certificate, financial advisors client or online banking.
- Signup bonus. Earn 500 bonus points after you log into the rewards site within your first 30 days of card membership. This is worth around $50, which is way below competitor cards. However, you can earn additional bonuses when you finance an auto or a home loan with Northwest Federal:
- 5,000 bonus points for a car loan (worth $500)
- 1,000 bonus points for every $10,000 borrowed in an equity loan with a maximum of 10,000 bonus points (worth between $100 and $1,000)
- 2,500 bonus points for a HELOC (worth $250)
- 1,000 bonus points for every $10,000 borrowed in a mortgage loan with a maximum of 10,000 bonus points (worth between $100 and $1,000)
- Potentially low APR. This card’s APR on purchases and balance transfers starts as low as 8.24% and up to 18%, depending on your creditworthiness.
- No cash advance fee. This is one of the rare credit cards that won’t charge you a fee when you take cash from an ATM or make other cash advance transactions. Other cards charge either 3% or 5% cash advance fee of the amount.
- No annual fee. You get to enjoy all the benefits of card membership without paying an annual fee.
What to watch out for
- No intro APR period. The card comes with a low APR, but it doesn’t have a 0% intro APR period on purchases or balance transfers. Similar cards offer at least a 0% intro APR period on purchases.
- 2x points with strings attached. Cards like the Citi® Double Cash Card offer 2% back — 1% back when you make the purchase and 1% back when you pay it off — on all purchases for all card holders. To get the 2x points with the NOW REWARDS Mastercard®, you have to qualify.
- Northwest Federal credit union membership required. You can apply for the card if you’re a Northwest Federal credit union member.
Compare rewards credit cards
The NOW REWARDS Mastercard® is an excellent flat-rate rewards card if you already use or plan to use Northwest Federal financial products and services. Otherwise, the card’s rate of 1.25x points on all purchases makes it hard to recommend when you have cards like the Citi® Double Cash Card or the Chase Freedom Unlimited®.