Signing up for a Navy Federal Visa Buxx card takes about 10 minutes, but you must be a member of the credit union to get approved.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Select Checking & Savings, then Prepaid and gift cards.
- Click or tap on Visa Buxx, then choose Get a card.
- Enter your full name, phone number, date of birth and email address.
- Provide your mailing address and government ID details.
- Create a username and password, then select a security question and provide an answer.
- Choose to fund the card with either a Navy Federal Visa card or Navy Federal Mastercard.
- Enter the card number, expiration date, security code and billing address.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and select Continue.
- Review and submit your application.
To get a Visa Buxx card, your child must be at least 13 years old, and you must be at least 18 years old and a member of Navy Federal. If you aren’t already a Navy Federal member, you can become one if you meet at least one of the following criteria.
- Active Duty member, reservist, veteran, retiree or annuitant of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard
- Army or Air National Guard personnel
- Delayed Entry Program personnel
- Department of Defense (DoD) civilian
- US government employee assigned to a DoD installation
- Contractor assigned to a DoD installation
- Family member of one of the above
- Provide the following information when signing up for a Navy Federal Buxx card.
- Social Security number
- Current home address
- Driver’s license or government ID
- Navy Federal Visa or Mastercard to fund your account
Navy Federal Credit Union’s Visa Buxx card has a few attractive features that might entice you to apply.
- No monthly fee. There’s no signup or monthly fee to keep the account open.
- Decent parental controls. Track your kid’s purchases, check their balance and reload the card online, over the phone or via the Navy Federal Prepaid app. Also, limit ATM access and restrict how much cash your child can get back from participating retailers.
- Zero-liability protection. Navy Federal won’t hold your kid responsible for confirmed fraudulent transactions as long as you notify the credit union within 60 days of the statement date on which any fraudulent transactions first appear.
- Roadside Dispatch. The Buxx card comes with roadside assistance your teen can use for towing, tire changes, jump starts and other automotive issues, but there’s a $59.95 fee to use it.
This card also has several drawbacks you should keep in mind before applying.
- Limited funding options. It’s only possible to fund the account for free using your Navy Federal Credit Union Visa card or Mastercard. Otherwise, fund the card with cash or other credit cards at brick-and-mortar retailers that provide Visa ReadyLink services, but you could see a charge of up to $5.95.
- Eligibility criteria. You must be a current or former member of the military, work for the Department of Defense or have a family member who meets either of these criteria to qualify for membership in this credit union.
- Age requirement. Your child must also be at least 13 years old. Other prepaid cards for kids like FamZoo, don’t have a minimum age requirement.
- Few features. Unlike several other prepaid cards for kids like BusyKid and Greenlight, this card doesn’t include integrated chores or allowance features.
Yes, the Navy Federal Visa Buxx card is safe. This Visa Buxx card is covered by a zero-liability policy for fraud, which means your kid won’t be held responsible for confirmed fraudulent purchases as long as you notify Navy Federal within 60 days of the statement date on which the fraudulent transactions first appear. Navy Federal’s Visa Buxx card also includes Purchase Security, which may allow you to get purchased items repaired, replaced or fully reimbursed in the event of theft or damage.
Navy Federal Credit Union is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and reviews on the BBB’s website vary by location. On Trustpilot, Navy Federal has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5, but none of the reviews mention the Visa Buxx card.
See how this card stacks up against other prepaid cards for kids based on fees and features.
There’s no initial or ongoing fee for Navy Federal’s Visa Buxx card, but there are a few fees you might encounter. Here’s an overview of potential charges and how they compare to similar prepaid debit cards.
|Monthly fee||$0||Lower than most|
|Inactive fee — after six months||$1 per month||Standard|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$1 + fees charged by ATM owner||Below average|
|Card replacement fee||$5||Standard|
|Card express delivery fee||$5||Standard|
|Visa ReadyLink reload fee||$5.95||Above average|
|International transaction fee||1%||Standard|
According to Navy Federal’s support specialists, it will take approximately seven to 10 days to receive your card after approval.
Once you receive your Visa Buxx card, use it in the following ways:
- Load the card using the Navy Federal Prepaid app, which is separate from the Navy Federal Credit Union app.
- Use the card to pay for purchases at online or offline retailers.
- Add the card to your kid’s digital wallet, such as Apple Pay if they’re at least 13 and Google Pay if they’re at least 1, so that they can pay for purchases with their smartphone.
- Set up autopay so your teen can use their Buxx card to pay any recurring bills automatically.
Fund your Visa Buxx card using these methods:
- Online, over the phone or via the Navy Federal Prepaid app with a Navy Federal Credit Union Visa card or Mastercard
- With cash or a credit card at any brick-and-mortar retailer that offers Visa ReadyLink loading
If you have questions or need help with your account, there are a few ways to contact a Navy Federal Credit Union support specialist.
- Visit any of Navy Federal’s 340 branches to speak with a banker in person.
- Call 888-842-6328 for live phone support 24/7.
- Chat with a representative on Navy Federal’s website on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET and on weekends from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
- Fill out the contact form on Navy Federal’s website, and a specialist will email you back.
- Send a tweet to @NavyFederal or @NavyFederalHelp, or connect with the credit union on Facebook.
- Send postal mail to Navy Federal, P.O. Box 3000, Merrifield, VA 22119-3000.
Kids’ debit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top debit cards for kids and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. We rate kids’ checking accounts by these factors: Monthly fee, features, ATM access, customer support options, and availability. We also consider APY as a factor only for those that earn interest. We rate prepaid debit cards for kids by these factors: monthly fees, features, customer support options and account availability.
Read the full methodology of how we rate Kids’ debit card accounts.