M&T Visa Credit Card with Rewards review
A no-annual-fee rewards credit card with relatively low APR.
- Get this card if you’re a loyal M&T Bank customer who wants to earn rewards.
- Pick something else if you want to earn a higher rewards rate.
- Apply for this card with an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 1x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 billing cycles (then 11.24% to 18.24% variable)
|Welcome Offer||10,000 points after spending $500 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||1x points on all purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 billing cycles (then 11.24% to 18.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 12 billing cycles (then 11.24% to 18.24% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The M&T Visa Credit Card with Rewards can be a good choice if you’re a loyal M&T Bank customer who wants to earn rewards points on all purchases. Although the rewards rate is subpar compared to similar cards, there are additional perks that help make this card more appealing. These perks include a signup bonus, a long intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases, and a relatively low APR after that.
How to apply for M&T Visa Credit Card with Rewards
To apply for the card, you must be a US citizen or a permanent resident and at least 18 years old. Here’s how to apply:
- Visit the M&T Bank website and log in to your online banking account.
- Select Apply for a Credit Card.
- Locate the M&T Visa Credit Card with Rewards.
- Fill out the application form with the required information.
- Review the application form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
To increase your chances of approval, apply with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
- Rewards. Earn unlimited 1x points on all purchases. This is below the industry standard of 1.5x points.
- Signup bonus. Spend $500 in your first 90 days when you open your account to earn 10,000 bonus points worth $100 in cash redemption.
- Intro APR period. Get a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases for the first 12 billing cycles after you open your account. A variable APR of 11.24% to 18.24% applies thereafter.
- Customize your card. Use your own photo or choose an image from the gallery and add it as the card’s background. Another option is to use a photo of yourself and add it in the upper right-hand corner of the card.
- No annual fee. You get to earn rewards and save money on interest without paying an annual fee.
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fees. Pay a 3% fee on every transaction made abroad or online with a foreign merchant.
- Penalty APR. If you don’t make the minimum payment within 60 days, you’ll incur a penalty APR of 24.99% and you may lose the intro APR period. The penalty APR will apply until you make six consecutive minimum payments before the due date.
Compare rewards credit cards
If you’re a loyal M&T Bank customer and you want to earn flat rewards rate on all of your purchases, the M&T Visa Credit Card with Rewards could be an option worth considering.
But if you’re willing to look past the bank, there are credit cards with higher rewards rate on all purchases or on select categories of purchases. Just make sure to compare your options before you apply.