MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit Account review
Spend safely online with temporary card numbers.
- Get this prepaid debit card if you want the ability to generate virtual card numbers or transfer Bitcoin.
- Choose another prepaid debit card if you want to purchase your card in store or want EMV chip technology.
Monthly maintenance fee
Rhys Subitch is the loans editor at Finder, guiding Americans toward smart borrowing decisions. With over half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info in the lending sphere. They make frequent appearances on Finder's YouTube channel to talk through loan topics that range from the very basics to the latest government assistance programs. Before specializing in lending, Rhys was a personal finance writer for Finder’s credit cards, insurance, banking and mortgage verticals. They hold a BA in sociology and a certificate in editing from the University of Washington, Seattle.
The MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit account is a twist on the everyday prepaid debit card. It aims to tie more of your payment options together without the use of a traditional bank account, and does so by providing a number of deposit and spend options.
Movo is best for anyone who wants to have the ability to generate virtual card numbers or transfer Bitcoin. There are no monthly fees and free person-to-person transfers to anyone in the U.S.
But it falls short when it comes to securing its physical cards as it does not include the added security of EMV chip technology.
How much does Movo cost?
MOVO doesn’t charge for bill pay, ATM balance inquiries, withdrawals with a bank teller, or physical card replacements. But there are still a few fees to watch out for:
|Purchase transactions, international||Up to 3% of the transaction|
|ATM withdrawal, domestic||$2, plus any ATM surcharge|
|ATM withdrawal, international||$2, plus up to 3% of the amount withdrawn|
|ACH decline fee||$15|
|Inactivity fee after 90 days without a transaction||$4.94 monthly|
How do I open a MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit account?
Apply for the MOVO card using these steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the website, download the MOVO app from the Apple or Google Play app store.
- Open the app and select Sign up for Movo.
- Enter your mobile number and email, create a user ID and password then select your security question and answer. Select Next.
- Read the privacy statement then select Next.
- Fill in your first and last name, gender, date of birth and home phone number — if different from your mobile — and select Next.
- Provide your address and select Next.
- Fill in your Social Security number and select Next.
- You’ll know whether your account is approved within moments.
You must meet the following requirements to apply:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Have a US residential address
Make sure you have the following information hand when you apply:
- Name, email address and phone number
- US residential address
- Social Security number
Movo card benefits
The MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit Account has these noteworthy benefits:
- No monthly fee with activity. Don’t pay a monthly maintenance fee so long as your account is active.
- Virtual cards with CASH Card. Generate virtual prepaid cards for $2.95 each. You can use these to make purchases online and over the phone without giving your card number away.
- Transfer Bitcoin. Make direct Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash transfers to anyone in the US.
- Free person-to-person transfers. Transfer money to anyone in the US for $0.
- Full-service app. Manage your account completely from your smartphone.
- Direct deposit. Sign up for direct deposit and get your paycheck or government benefits directly on your MOVO prepaid card.
What to watch out for
Although the MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit card has some unique features, you may want to watch out for:
- Third-party app required for checks. You’ll need to get a third-party app called Ingo if you’re looking to deposit checks. Using Ingo to process your checks costs 1% to 5% of the amount deposited, depending on the amount and if it’s a preprinted government check.
- No EMV chip. Chip cards have become the standard across the US, but Movo doesn’t provide this extra security.
- Limited ATM cash withdrawals. You’re limited to withdrawing $500 per day from ATMs in the US, and $250 per day using international ATMs.
- Can’t sign up in stores or on the website. The only way to sign up is through the Movo Apple or Google Play app.
If you prefer a traditional account or a card that comes with rewards, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a prepaid debit card.
Compare Movo card with other prepaid debit cards
Find the best prepaid card for your wallet by comparing the MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit Account against other providers.
Depositing and withdrawing options
There are several ways to load money onto your MOVO card or use it to access funds.
- Direct deposit
- Incoming PayPal transfers
- Incoming bank transfers
- Use Movochain.com to convert cryptocurrency into USD
- Cash deposits at retailers that provide Green Dot MoneyPak, Mastercard rePower, MoneyGram, Vanilla Reload or Visa Ready Link services
- Check deposits via the Ingo Money mobile app
- ATM withdrawals
- Outgoing PayPal transfers
- Outgoing bank transfers
- Pay with digital wallets including Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
- Use Movochain.com to send cash to other Movo customers
When will I get my MOVO card?
Once your account is approved, your physical card will be sent in the mail within a week and should arrive seven to 10 days after that.
I got the Movo card. Now what?
You can start using your account as soon as it’s approved. Simply load funds onto your Movo card, start digitally swiping and follow these extra steps:
- Create a CASH Card. If you’re interested in spending online or over the phone, but don’t feel comfortable giving out your account number, you can go onto the app and request a digital CASH Card, which can only be loaded once. Just remember that it costs $2.95.
- Keep the app. You can’t access your account online through the Movo website. Unless you plan on strictly managing your account via ATM and teller, you’ll want to keep the app.
- Use your account to keep it active. An account that hasn’t had a transaction that changed the balance is considered inactive. If it’s inactive for more than 90 days, you’ll start getting charged a monthly fee.
- Contact customer service. You can reach Movo customer service by phone at 866-533-6686 or by email with any questions you may have about the app or your account.