MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit Account review
Spend safely online with temporary card numbers.
- Get this prepaid debit card if you want the ability to generate virtual card numbers or transfer Bitcoin.
- Choose another prepaid debit card if you want to purchase your card in store or want EMV chip technology.
Monthly fee with a direct deposit
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at finder.com who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
Movo is best for anyone who wants to have the ability to generate virtual card numbers or transfer Bitcoin. There are no monthly fees and free person-to-person transfers to anyone in the U.S.
But it falls short when it comes to securing its physical cards as it does not include the added security of EMV chip technology.
The MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit Account is a twist on the everyday prepaid debit card. It aims to tie more of your payment options together without the use of a traditional bank account, and does so by providing a number of deposit and spend options.
- No monthly fee with activity. Don’t pay a monthly maintenance fee so long as your account is active.
- Virtual cards with MovoCoin. Generate virtual prepaid cards for 50 cents each. You can use these to make purchases online and over the phone without giving your card number away.
- Transfer Bitcoin. Make direct Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash transfers to anyone in the US.
- Free person-to-person transfers. Transfer money to anyone in the US for $0.
- Full-service app. Manage your account completely from your smartphone.
- Direct deposit. Sign up for direct deposit by signing on to your account and going to Movo load then clicking Direct deposit. From there, you can pull the information required and provide it to your employer.
What to watch out for
- Third-party app required for checks. You’ll need to get a third-party app called Ingo if you’re looking to deposit checks. Using Ingo to process your checks costs 1% to 5% of the amount deposited, depending on the amount and if it’s a preprinted government check.
- No EMV chip. Chip cards have become the standard across the US, but Movo doesn’t provide this extra security.
- Limited ATM cash withdrawals. You’re limited to withdrawing $500 per day from ATMs in the US, and $250 per day using international ATMs.
- Can’t sign up in stores or on the website. The only way to sign up is through the Movo Apple or Google Play app.
If you prefer a traditional account or a card that comes with rewards, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a prepaid debit card.
MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit Account fees
|Purchase transactions, international||Up to 3% of the transaction|
|Bill pay transaction||$0.75|
|ATM withdrawal, domestic||$2, plus any ATM surcharge|
|ATM withdrawal, international||$2, plus up to 3% of the amount withdrawn|
|ATM balance inquiry, domestic||$1|
|ATM balance inquiry, international||$2|
|ATM decline, domestic||$1|
|ATM decline, international||$2|
|Bank teller withdrawal||$3|
|Physical card replacement||$7|
|ACH return fee||$15|
|ACH decline fee||$15|
|Inactivity fee after 90 days without a transaction||$4.94 monthly|
Compare with other prepaid/debit cards
Find the best prepaid card for your wallet by comparing the MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit Account against other providers.
How to apply for MOVO Digital Visa Prepaid Debit.
To apply for the card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen or permanent resident with a US residential address. Once your account is approved, the physical card will be sent within a week, and typically will arrive seven to 10 days after.
- Download the Movo app from the Apple or Google Play app store.
- Open the app and select Sign up for Movo.
- Enter your mobile number and email, create a user ID and password then select your security question and answer. Select Next.
- Read the privacy statement then select Next.
- Fill in your first and last name, gender, date of birth and home phone number — if different from your mobile — and select Next.
- Provide your address and select Next.
- Fill in your Social Security number and select Next.
- You’ll know whether your account is approved within moments.
- Direct deposit
- Visa ReadyLink
- Green Dot MoneyPak or at the register
- Bank transfer
I got the card. Now what?
- You can start using your account as soon as it’s approved. Load up funds and start digitally swiping.
- Create a Movo Coin. If you’re interested in spending online or over the phone, but don’t feel comfortable giving out your account number, you can go onto the app and set up your first Movo Coin. Just remember that it costs 50 cents.
- Keep the app. You can’t access your account online through the Movo website. Unless you plan on strictly managing your account via ATM and teller, you’ll want to keep the app.
- Use your account to keep it active. An account that hasn’t had a transaction that changed the balance is considered inactive. If it’s inactive for more than 90 days, you’ll start getting charged a monthly fee.
- Contact customer service. You can reach Movo customer service by phone at 866-533-6686 or by email with any questions you may have about the app or your account.