Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Make fast and secure payments without entering your PIN.
Mastercard PayPass is a popular new technology that allows you to tap your card on a contactless payment terminal to complete a purchase, rather than inserting or swiping your card and entering a PIN. Here’s how this technology works and which Mastercard credit cards offer this feature.
Our pick for Mastercard PayPass
Citi® Double Cash CardRead more
Compare Mastercard credit cards
How does Mastercard PayPass work?
Contactless payment technology is quite simple:
- Make a purchase at a merchant that has a Mastercard PayPass contactless terminal.
- Hold your card within 4 cm of the terminal to approve the purchase.
- Wait for the green light and a beep indicating your purchase has been approved.
Mastercard PayPass does come with a caveat: if the purchase is over $100, you’ll need to enter your PIN after tapping the terminal.
Contactless payments use an embedded computer chip and radio frequency antenna to communicate with the contactless terminal card reader. Each contactless payment generates a unique code so you won’t be charged double for contactless payments if you accidentally tap your card on the reader twice.
To make things even easier, you may also be issued with a Mastercard PayPass key fob or payment tag. The small plastic fob or tag contains the same contactless computer chip and radio frequency antenna as your regular credit card.
Finally, many issuers allow you to make contactless payments with your mobile device. This means that not only do you not have to enter your PIN, you might not even have to use your card to make purchases.
Is it safe to use Mastercard PayPass?
There are some pros and cons using contactless payments but they are just as safe as any other transaction. The following security procedures and policies are in place to make sure your PayPass contactless payments are protected:
- No accidental payments. As you need to hold the card within an inch or so of the terminal, there is little chance that an accidental payment will be made using your card as you walk by a terminal that is enabled to accept contactless payments.
- Encryption technology. Each purchase generates a unique encryption code which ensures that you’ll only be charged once, even if you accidentally tap your card against the terminal twice or if you don’t hold your card on the reader long enough and you’re asked to tap it again.
- Mastercard Zero Liability guarantee. If your card has been lost or stolen, you should contact your card issuer immediately to either freeze or cancel the card. If your card has been stolen and used for unauthorized transactions, you’ll be protected by Mastercard’s Zero Liability guarantee and will be reimbursed for any fraudulent transactions.
Mastercard PayPass is a simple, convenient and secure way to make contactless payments using your credit card. While using your card for contactless payments is mostly safe, it’s important you use it wisely and store it safely to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.
Learn about some common credit card frauds and scams so you can stay protected.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Douugh banking review
The Douugh banking app uses AI to optimize your finances, but it lacks key features.
A new virtual debit card for kids that’s free to use when you make at least one purchase a month.
Debt relief resources in Virginia
What VA’s new debt relief regulations mean for you and how to protect yourself in the meantime.
New mobile pay startup OV Valet looks to dethrone Apple Pay; is it better?
OV Valet works with NFC as well as traditional magstrip readers.
Shopify vs. Amazon
Comparing Shopify and Amazon? Here’s how these platforms measure up.
43 Black-owned banks by state
Now is the time to support Black-owned institutions so they can continue fighting systemic racism and working to close the wealth gap that exists in America.
Use this $25 silicone bracelet to pay for purchases with the tap of the wrist wherever Mastercard is accepted.
PayPal is offering a buy now, pay later shopping feature
PayPal now offers a new buy now, pay later financing option, allowing for interest-free payment installments on your shopping purchases.
Green Dot Unlimited review
A digital bank account featuring 2% cash back on purchases, 2% APY on savings and free cash deposits.
Contactless payment processors
Contactless payments don’t require a signature or inputting a PIN.
Ask an Expert