Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ credit card review
Get late checkout and 10% bonus points on your Marriott hotel stays.
finder.com’s rating: 3.6 / 5
- Get this card if you want to earn Marriott points without paying an annual fee.
- Pick something else if you want a general travel card or another Marriott card with more perks.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 3x
15.99% to 22.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||30,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||3x points at Marriott Bonvoy hotels, 2x on travel and 1x on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||15.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||15.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ credit card is the entry-level Marriott credit card and the card’s features and terms reflect that status. It comes with a $0 annual fee, a solid signup bonus of 30,000 points and 2x points on all travel purchases.
Despite being an entry level card, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ credit card brings some decent power. It earns 3x points on Marriott purchases, plus each calendar year you get enough elite night credits to hold a Silver Elite status. This comes with 10% more points on your stays, priority late checkout, free Wi-Fi and more. This isn’t terribly far behind the next highest Marriott card, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card, which carries an annual fee of $95 a year and earns 6x points at Marriott hotels.
Considering there’s no annual fee, this card isn’t a bad choice if you’re curious about entering into Marriott’s loyalty program to see how you like it. But if you travel often and you’re already familiar with Marriott’s services, the extra earning potential and free night award on the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless is the better pick.
How to apply for Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ credit card
Applying for the Marriott Bonvoy Bold credit card is quite simple:
- Learn more about how to apply for Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ credit card.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
You need a good credit score of 670 or higher.
- Signup bonus. Earn 30,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 within your first 3 months of account opening. Depending on what category hotel you stay in, this bonus can net you anywhere from 1 to 6 free nights at Marriott properties. For hotel category values, check out our Marriott award chart.
- Reward points. Earn 3x points at more than 7,000 Marriott hotels, 2x points on travel purchases and 1x points on everything else you buy. The bonus points you earn on Marriott stacks on top of the bonus points you earn as a Marriott Bonvoy member, which is 10x points per night. Since you’re also a silver elite member for obtaining this card, that number is bumped up by 10 percent to 11x points per night. So your grand earning total on Marriott stays is really 14x points per night.
- Elite night credits. Get 15 elite night credits when you open your account. You’ll also be credited the same number of credits every calendar year, which is enough to stay at Silver Elite status. This comes with benefits such as late checkout and 10% bonus points on your stays.
- No foreign transaction fees. Skip the fees on purchases when you use the card abroad. This makes the card a solid traveling companion.
- No annual fee. Earn Marriott points on your stays without paying an annual fee for the life of the card.
How many stays can you earn with $8,000 annual spending?
Assuming you spend just $8,000 a year on your Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ credit card, let’s have a look at how many points you stand to earn.
|Marriott hotels||$1,000||14,000 (including Marriott Bonvoy membership bonuses)|
In this example, you’re looking to earn about 24,000 points from your spending in a given year. This is one night at category 3 hotel, or several nights at a category 1 and 2 hotel.
Naturally, the points you earn will fluctuate depending on your spending – you’ll earn the most points on Marriott hotel stays, followed by other travel purchases such as flights.
What to watch out for
- No intro APR period. The card offers solid rewards, but you won’t save money on interest by carrying your balance or making a balance transfer. Consider 0% intro APR credit cards if that’s what you need.
- Signup bonus eligibility. If you already own any Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ credit card or if you have owned one in the past 24 months, you aren’t eligible to earn this card’s signup bonus.
Compare travel rewards cards
If you occasionally travel and stay at Marriott hotels and resorts, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ credit card could be a solid addition to your wallet. You will earn accelerated points on Marriott hotel stays and on travel purchases without paying an annual fee, and you can earn a generous signup bonus. But if you’re a frequent traveler, you might instead look at the higher-end Marriott cards for the increased rewards and perks they provide.
If Marriott hotels aren’t your style, check out other travel cards with no annual fee and compare your options.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.