LoungeBuddy is an app-based service that lets you buy one-time passes for lounges at airports worldwide. For travelers who buy one or two passes each year, this could be a more cost-effective option than buying costly annual memberships of other services like Priority Pass.
On the downside — you can only use the LoungeBuddy app if you have an American Express credit card and an iOS device. Android users with an Amex card will have to use an Internet browser to access LoungeBuddy, while Mastercard and Visa cardholders will not be able to use this service at all.
How does LoungeBuddy work?
First you need to download the LoungeBuddy app from the App Store, and then link your Amex credit card. Once you’re set, use the app to filter lounges and find amenities you need, or read lounge reviews by other visitors to find a place to rest between flights.
Simplify this process and add your trip within the app. LoungeBuddy will show you all the available lounges on your way. When you find the right one, buy access through the app. What’s cool, you can also see lounges that don’t charge you an entry fee.
There are many reasons LoungeBuddy is worth having. Here are a few:
- Browse lounges. Find out which lounges you have access to based on your linked credit card. View photos, amenities and read reviews on your LoungeBuddy mobile app to see whether visiting a particular lounge is worth it.
- Variety of lounges. Choose from more than 2,000 lounges at more than 800 airports worldwide.
- Share your experience. Share photos and leave reviews to help other LoungeBuddy users find the right lounge.
Although the platform provides a convenient way to search and book lounges, there are some drawbacks to consider, such as:
- You can’t use any credit card. You can only use the LoungeBuddy app with an American Express credit card. Any Amex card would do, even those issued from other banks. Mastercard and Visa cardholders don’t have access to this service because American Express acquired LoungeBuddy in 2019 and they have exclusive access to the platform.
- You can’t access all Amex lounges. Unfortunately, the app doesn’t give you access to Centurion lounges.
- Available only for iOS users. The LoungeBuddy app is currently available to download from the App Store. Android users can access the platform via their Internet browser.
Some of the lounges you can access through LoungeBuddy include:
- Australia. Brisbane Airport, Melbourne Airport and Sydney Airport.
- Canada. Edmonton International Airport, Vancouver International Airport, Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport and Toronto Pearson International Airport.
- China. Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport, Hong Kong International Airport, Shanghai Pudong Airport, Beijing Capital International Airport and more.
- Germany. Bremen Airport, Frankfurt Airport, Hamburg Airport, Munich Airport and more.
- Mexico. General Juan N. Alvarez International Airport, General Mariano Escobedo International Airport and more.
- The United Kingdom. London Heathrow Airport, London City Airport, London Gatwick Airport, Belfast International Airport and more.
- The United States. Bradley International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport, Philadelphia International Airport and more.
How much does LoungeBuddy cost?
Downloading the LoungeBuddy app is free, but the price of lounges you book through it depends on the lounges themselves. You can find rates starting at $25 for a day pass or per hour. The average price of most lounges is around $50.
Some American Express credit cards give you complimentary access to select lounges. LoungeBuddy app will show you if there is such a lounge at your airport.
Compare credit cards with LoungeBuddy access
Since you can only use American Express cards to access the lounges via LoungeBuddy, consider applying for an Amex card. Some of the premium options provide complimentary access to select lounges.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
If you occasionally travel and you want to find lounges at the airport, the LoungeBuddy platform could be useful. But you’ll need an American Express credit card to pay for the access.
However, other travel cards offer complimentary lounge access, which could save you more money than the LoungeBuddy app if you visit lounges frequently each year.
More guides on Finder
Where to buy iHealth at-home rapid COVID tests
Find iHealth in stock and learn what to expect with this top kit that creates a scannable QR code of your results — but isn’t so straightforward with its pricing.
Where to buy BinaxNow at-home rapid COVID test
Find BinaxNow in stock and learn what to expect with this top kit that’s easy on the nose — but requires more than 1 test.
Crypto savings accounts guide
The average American could earn 140 times more in just one year by switching from a traditional savings account to a crypto savings account, according to analysis from Finder.
How to plan the perfect luxury trip to Dubai – post-COVID
Let your Black Card concierge plan your trip to Dubai.
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card review
An excellent luxury travel card from Capital One.
A digital account that prioritizes your access to your money and is light on fees.
Crypto.com NFT Marketplace Review and Guide
Crypto.com NFT marketplace stands out as a beginner-friendly NFT marketplace that can be accessed by almost everyone in the world.
9 exclusive experiences the Luxury Card Concierge® team delivered on
Including a breathtaking wedding proposal straight out of the movies.
The best debit cards for kids for 2022
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
Compare crypto credit cards 2022
Earn crypto on your purchases with these cards.
Ask an Expert