Keeper Tax review
Find hidden tax write-offs with this 1099 expense tracker for freelancers and independent contractors.Keeper Tax is a 1099 expense tracker that scours your financial accounts to catch every expense you can write off on your taxes. It’s best for independent contractors, freelancers and small business owners who want to maximize their tax savings without having to do extra work. But it costs $16 a month, plus a one-time fee of $89 or $39 each tax season.
Federal returns starting price
State returns starting price
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
Expert reviewKeeper Tax is best for freelancers, contractors or 1099 employees who want to make sure they find every tax write-off imaginable without adding more work to their plate. The program uses artificial intelligence and licensed tax bookkeepers to catch and categorize your business expenses as you make them, estimate your quarterly estimated tax payments and help you file your taxes. Keeper Tax launched in 2018 and has already saved freelancers a combined $40 million in taxes, according to its website.
But as with most tax programs, it isn’t free — you’ll pay $16 a month to have Keeper Tax monitor your accounts. That adds up to almost $200 a year. Plus, you’ll pay $89 if you want to file your taxes through the platform or $39 if you want to export your expenses and file somewhere else.
If you have a lot of business expenses, it may be worth the price. But if you’re a one-person show with little to no overhead, you may be better off tracking things manually.
How much does Keeper Tax cost?Keeper Tax costs $16 a month. You can pay this fee using a credit card or linked bank account.
This chart highlights all the fees you could end up paying with Keeper Tax:
|To have Keeper Tax monitor your expenses||$16 a month|
|To file your federal and state tax return with Keeper Tax||$89 a year|
|To export a report of your expenses and file with someone else||$39 a year|
How to sign up
Follow these steps to sign up for Keeper Tax:
- Click Apply now.
- From Keeper Tax‘s website, enter your phone number and click Text me the app.
- Click the link on your phone to download the app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Follow the prompts to create your account and connect your financial accounts.
What are the benefits of Keeper Tax?
Here are only a handful of benefits you may enjoy when you use Keeper Tax as a freelancer or contractor:
- Catches missed write-offs. Keeper Tax claims it saves the average customer $6,428 a year in taxes by catching write-offs that are often overlooked.
- Free trial. You get a 14-day free trial when you sign up, giving you plenty of time to decide if it’s the right program for you. But if you don’t plan to continue using it, make sure you set a reminder to stop the trial or you’ll risk a charge.
- Free resources. You’ll find all sorts of free resources on Keeper Tax‘s website, including a tax bill calculator, tax rate calculator, tax deduction finder, questions answered by tax accountants and more.
- Assigned licensed tax bookkeeper. As a Keeper Tax subscriber, you’ll get access to a licensed tax bookkeeper who can answer your questions and help you file your taxes.
- Audit protection. If Keeper Tax spots an expense that could be flagged for audit, they’ll contact you to get it corrected.
What to watch out forKeeper Tax has some sweet perks, but there are a few downsides to watch out for:
- Costs money. After your 14-day free trial expires, you’ll pay $16 a month, which is almost $200 a year. And to file your taxes you’ll pay $89 to file through Keeper Tax or $39 to export your report and file elsewhere.
If you’re looking for a cheaper way to file your taxes, explore your options here.
Is Keeper Tax safe?
Yes. Keeper Tax uses Plaid to connect to your financial accounts via a secure connection. This system has read-only access to your transactions, so it can never view or store your bank credentials.
Keeper Tax reviews and complaintsKeeper Tax has an A rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) based on its years in business and the fact that it has zero customer complaints.
It doesn’t have many customer reviews on the BBB, but it has plenty in the app store. Keeper Tax has a 4.4 out of 5-star rating in the Google Play Store based on 344 reviews, and a 4.8 out of 5-star rating in the Apple App Store based on 446 reviews.
Customers say that even with the $16 subscription fee, the app is worth it because it saves them hundreds in taxes. One user reported seeing a $500 savings within 30 minutes of opening their account. Still, some users report having issues getting the app to connect to their bank account.
Compare tax filing services
Use this interactive table to see how Keeper Tax compares to other tax filing services.
How can I contact Keeper Tax customer support?
You can reach Keeper Tax customer service via email or social media:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: @keepertax
- Twitter: @keepertax
- Instagram: @Keeper.Tax
- LinkedIn: Keeper Tax