Find a quick, easy and affordable way to send money to Uganda with a money transfer service.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Uganda. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
Banks versus money transfer companies
We use our banks to take care of all our other financial needs, so surely we should use them when we need to send an international money transfer, right? Not necessarily. While major U.S. banks offer money transfer services, they usually present less competitive exchange rates coupled with high transfer fees.
You can often save money by using the services of a dedicated money transfer company. These providers specialize in handling overseas money transfers, offering attractive exchange rates and affordable transfer fees.
Although Ben emigrated to America more than five years ago, he still makes sure to maintain regular contact with his sister in Kampala. He wants to send her $1,000 as a birthday gift, but he doesn’t want to send it at the paltry exchange rate offered by his bank – his bank also doesn’t offer this exotic currency. He decides to see whether a money transfer company can offer him a better deal, so he compares the services of two providers.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $2,328.23 UGX||$1 USD = $2,321.17 UGX|
|Transfer method||Online bank account transfer||Online bank account transfer|
|Processing time||1-3 days||1-4 days|
|Amount received (in UGX)||$2,328,230 UGX||$2,321,170 UGX|
As you can see, doing a quick comparison reveals that Ben will send more than $7,000 UGX extra and save $5 in transfer fees by using the first transfer company.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring to Uganda?
- Exchange rates. How do the company’s exchange rates compare to those offered by its competition?
- Transaction fees. Most companies will charge a fee each time you send a transfer, so check to see the amount you will have to pay for each transaction. It’s also worth investigating whether the fee will not be charged if you transfer a large amount.
- Transfer methods. Do you place transfers online or by visiting a branch? Are phone and mobile app transfers offered as well?
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Transfer time. Some companies offer transfers within minutes, while others have processing times of several business days.
- Minimum transfer amounts. If the company imposes minimum or maximum transaction limits, make sure those limits won’t affect your ability to send transfers.
- Pickup options. Will the money be sent to Uganda via bank account transfer, or will your recipient be able to pick up the sum in cash from a transfer agent?
- Customer service. If you have a question about a transfer, will you be able to quickly access customer service? Are phone, email and live online chat support all available?
Options for sending money to Uganda from America
- Money transfer providers. Compare your options to find transfer companies that can send money to Uganda.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram both have extensive worldwide transfer networks with branches in Uganda.
- Bank transfers. Compare the fees and exchange rates your bank offers with those of other providers.
- International check. Sending an international guaranteed check overseas is a slow but secure transfer method..
Emergency cash transfers in Uganda
If you ever need to send an emergency cash transfer to Uganda – maybe you need to help out a vacationing friend who has had their wallet stolen, for example – there are plenty of providers who can help you complete your transfer. Before you commit to a transaction, however, it’s worth being aware that these types of transfers regularly come with higher fees and lower exchange rates. Check the fine print of any transaction before committing your funds.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Uganda
Always take care when you are picking up a cash transfer. Confirm a transfer agent’s hours of operation and available funds before visiting, and avoid traveling through any unsafe areas. Don’t carry the money around with you for any longer than is absolutely necessary, and make sure you deposit it into your bank account as soon as possible.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to Uganda?
The exact transfer method you need to follow will depend on the provider you choose to handle the transaction, but you will usually need to:
- Register for a free account. This can often be done online, and you will need to provide your full name, your contact details and proof of ID.
- Enter your transaction information. You’ll need to tell the provider where you’re sending money, how much you’ll be sending and who will be receiving the transfer.
- Pay for your transfer. You can then pay for and submit your transfer request, making sure you keep any reference number you are given so that you can monitor the progress of your transaction.