We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Tonga
There are safe, secure and cost-effective transfer options when you need to send money to Tonga.
Why we like: WorldRemit
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare money transfer services to Tonga
Should you use a bank or money transfer company?
Any major US bank will send an international money transfer for you, but it won’t be cheap. You can expect high fees and poor exchange rates when you send money via your bank.
Money transfer companies are dedicated to the service and provide much better exchange rates for lower fees than your bank. They offer secure transfers and large worldwide networks, meaning you can get more value for money when you send money to Tonga or anywhere else around the world.
Case Study: Tommy Sends Money to Tonga
Tommy wants to buy a hand-made surfboard from a Tongan craftsman for $1,000. He considers using his bank to send the money to the seller in Tonga, but when he sees his bank’s $50 transfer fee, Tommy decides to look elsewhere.
He compares two well-known money transfer companies to see which one can get him the best rate.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $2.09 TOP||$1 USD = $2.08 TOP|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup||Cash pickup|
|Processing time||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in TOP)||$2,090 TOP||$2,080 TOP|
As you can see, Tommy can pay a cheaper transfer fee and send an extra $10 TOP if he uses the first transfer company.
What to look at when comparing money transfer companies
- Exchange rates. Even though some differences in exchange rates may seem minor, they can end up costing you a lot once you calculate how much money your beneficiary will receive.
- Fees. You should always check the transfer fees charged by each company and find out whether they vary depending on factors like transfer amount, method and destination.
- Transfer methods. How can you place a transfer with each company? Is this a convenient transfer method for you?
- Transfer options. Can you only place one-time orders or are there other options to help make your transfer experience more affordable and convenient?
- Turnaround time. Some companies offer instant transfers while others take several days.
- Minimum limit. Check to see whether each company imposes minimum or maximum limits on transfers.
- Pickup methods. Some companies offer a cash pickup option while others only offer bank deposits.
- Customer service. Check to see what support options are available in case you ever need help.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Depending on the international financial climate, exchange rates between the US dollar (USD) and Tonga pa’anga (TOP) will vary. As of January 2018, one US dollar was worth about 2.22 pa’anga. Day to day changes should be expected, and you can check out graphs and charts to see the historic rates to predict when it’s best to send money from the US to Tonga.
Options for sending money to Tonga from the US
- Bank transfers. Transfers between banks are secure but not all that cost-effective.
- Online money transfer providers. These companies offer a more affordable option than the banks.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram offer agent locations in Tonga.
- Checks. Check with your bank to find out how to send an international check.
How to send money to Tonga
Sending money to Tonga isn’t difficult. Just follow these steps and your dollar will be pa’anga in no time.
- Choose a money transfer service from the table above.
- Click the Go to Site button to be taken to the page.
- Enter your information and information about your recipient.
- Pay for your order.
- Save your tracking number or receipt to track the progress of your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in Tonga
You’ve just had a call from a panicked relative in Tonga who needs cash fast. Don’t worry, you shouldn’t have any trouble sending a rapid transfer to Tonga, but you will have to pay a premium for the quick service. Often, transfer companies will charge high fees and offer worse exchange rates when doing a last-minute transfer, so you should check the fine print to see how much the transfer will cost you before you commit.
Tips for picking up cash in Tonga
- Only pick up cash from a transfer agent in a safe area.
- Keep your wallet in a safe place at all times.
- Never leave your bag or wallet unattended in a public place.
- Don’t advertise your cash in front of strangers.
- Don’t carry around large amounts of cash in public unless absolutely necessary.
Ask an Expert