Need to send money to Tonga? Here’s how to find a safe, secure and cost-effective transfer option.
When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process. Sending money from the United States to Tonga doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the many options available to you to get the most Tongan paʻangas for your dollar.
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
Banks versus money transfer companies
Any major U.S. bank will happily send an international wire transfer for you, but they won’t do it for cheap. Expect high fees and poor exchange rates when you send money via your bank, which of course results in you spending more money than you have to.
A much better option to consider is using a money transfer service provider. These companies, such as Western Union and WorldRemit, provide better exchange rates and charge minimal fees compared to banks. They offer secure transfers and large worldwide networks, meaning you can get more value for money when you send money to Tonga or anywhere else around the world.
Tommy wants to buy a hand-made surfboard from a Tongan craftsman for $1,000. He considers using his bank to send the money to his contact in Tonga, but when confronted by his bank’s $50 transfer fee he decides to look elsewhere. Tommy compares two well-known money transfer companies to see which one comes out on top from a financial point of view.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $2.09 TOP||$1 USD = $2.08 TOP|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup||Cash pickup|
|Processing time||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in TOP)||$2,090 TOP||$2,080 TOP|
As you can see, Tommy can pay a cheaper transfer fee and send an extra $10 TOP if he uses the first transfer company.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Tonga
- Exchange rates. Even though some differences in exchange rates may seem minor, they can end up costing you a lot once you calculate how much money your beneficiary will receive.
- Fees. You should always check the transfer fees charged by each company and investigate whether they vary depending on factors like transfer amount, method and destination.
- Transfer methods. How can you place a transfer with each company? Is this a convenient transfer method for you?
- Transfer options. Can you only place one-time orders, or are there other options to help make your transfer experience more affordable and convenient?
- Turnaround time. Some companies offer instant transfers; others can take several days.
- Minimum limit. Check to see whether each company imposes minimum or maximum limits on transfers and if this will affect you.
- Pickup methods. Some companies offer a cash pickup option while others offer bank deposits only.
- Customer service. Check to see what support options are available in case you ever need help.
Options for sending money to Tonga from the U.S.
- Bank transfers. Transfers between banks are secure but not all that cost-effective.
- Online money transfer providers. These companies offer a more affordable option than the banks.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram offer agent locations in Tonga.
- Checks. Check with your bank to find out how to send an international check.
Emergency cash transfers in Tonga
You’ve just had a call from a panicked relative in Tonga who needs cash fast — don’t worry: you shouldn’t have any trouble sending a rapid transfer to Tonga. However, don’t be surprised if you have to pay extra in order to get funds to your beneficiary as quickly as possible. You can expect high fees and low exchange rates for quick transfers, so you should always make sure to check the fine print and determine exactly how much a transfer will cost before you commit to it.Back to topFind a money transfer location near youBack to top
Tips for picking up cash in Tonga
- Only pick up cash from a transfer agent in a safe area.
- Keep your wallet in a safe place at all times.
- Never leave your bag or wallet unattended in a public place.
- Don’t advertise your cash in front of strangers.
- Don’t carry around large amounts of cash in public unless absolutely necessary.
How to send money to Tonga
You’ll need to provide certain information when you want to send money to Tonga. This includes:
- Your name, contact details, address and a photo ID.
- Your recipient’s name and contact details, plus their bank account details if sending a bank transfer.
- Information concerning where you are sending money, how much you’re sending and in what currency.
You can then pay for your transaction and hold onto any receipt you are given – this should contain the information you need to track your transfer.