If you need to send money to Togo, our guide will help you learn how.
Whether you have a friend or family member who needs a little help or are sending money to a visitor, transferring money from the US to Togo can be a simple process. You can use a money transfer service or go through a bank, but be sure to shop around before you decide so you can get the best exchange rates.
WorldRemit International Money Transfers
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FREE.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Although major US banks offer money transfer services, they usually have less competitive exchange rates and high transfer fees. It’s cheaper and sometimes faster to use the services of a dedicated money transfer company. These providers specialize in handling overseas money transfers, offering attractive exchange rates and affordable transfer fees.
Compare money transfer services to Togo
Case Study: Nick Sends Money to TogoNick has relocated to the United States with his wife and kids to work, but when his parents back home in Lomé get into financial trouble he’s happy to help. He promises to send them $1,000 to help pay off their debts but, rather than taking the disappointing exchange rate offered by his bank, he shops around and finds two money transfer companies willing to offer a much more affordable transaction.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $585.060 XOF||$1 USD = $570.195 XOF|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup or bank account deposit||Cash pickup|
|Processing time||1 hour for cash pickup, 3-4 business days for bank deposit||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in XOF)||$585,060 XOF||$570,195 XOF|
As you can see, Nick can send almost $15,000 XOF extra (and avoid paying a transfer fee) if he uses the first company.
Find the right company by comparing these details
- Exchange rates. How does the company’s exchange compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay per transfer, and does this amount differ based on the amount you send or the transfer method you select?
- Transfer methods. What do you need to do to place a transfer? Can you visit a website, make a phone call, visit a branch or use a smartphone app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. How long will the transfer take from the moment you hand over the cash to the moment your recipient can access the funds?
- Minimum limit. If a minimum transfer limit applies, how high is it? Is there a maximum transfer limit?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary collect the cash from a transfer agent, or will they need to wait for it to be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. Can you rely on phone, email and online customer support if you ever need help?
Exchange rates between currenciesAs of November 2017, the rate of a West African CFA Franc (XOF) to US Dollar (USD) sits at about 1 USD to 555 XOF. This number fluctuates daily due to different political and economic influences, so it’s important you compare exchange rates over the course of a few days to be sure you’re trading money at the highest value.
Steps to send money to Togo
- Find a money transfer company from the table above and click Go to Site.
- Give a bit of information about yourself–name, contact information, address, etc. A valid form of photo ID, such as a driver’s license or a passport, will also be required.
- Give information about your recipient (name, contact details).
- Decide the amount of money you want to transfer and where you want it send.
- Save your tracking number to ensure your transfer got to your recipient.
Options for sending money from America to Togo
- Bank transfers. Transfer the funds from your American bank account to a bank account in Togo.
- Online money transfer providers. Companies like TransferMate can help you send secure and affordable transfers.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram offer fast and secure transfers, with the cash available for pickup from agent locations throughout Togo.
Tips for picking up cash in Togo
- Avoid cash pickup locations in unsafe areas.
- Ask a friend to join you when you go to pick up the cash.
- Don’t display your cash in public.
- Don’t carry a large amount of cash around in your wallet – deposit it with your bank or in a hotel safe.
- Stay aware of your personal security at all times.
Emergency cash transfers in Togo
You’ve just had an urgent phone call from your family in Togo — they need money as soon as possible to settle a debt. Sending an instant transfer is quite easy, but you will have to pay more. Make sure you closely check all the details of any transaction before you commit to it since the fees will likely be high. It’s not the best option, but when you’re in need, there are emergency services available.