We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Togo
If you need to send money to Togo, our guide will help you learn how.
Whether you have a friend or family member who needs a little help or are sending money to a visitor, transferring money from the US to Togo can be a simple process. You can use a money transfer service or go through a bank, but be sure to shop around before you decide so you can get the best exchange rates.
WorldRemit International Money Transfers
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Although major US banks offer money transfer services, they usually have less competitive exchange rates and high transfer fees. It’s cheaper and sometimes faster to use the services of a dedicated money transfer company. These providers specialize in handling overseas money transfers, offering attractive exchange rates and affordable transfer fees.
Compare money transfer services to Togo
Case Study: Nick Sends Money to Togo
Nick has relocated to the United States with his wife and kids to work, but when his parents back home in Lomé get into financial trouble he’s happy to help. He promises to send them $1,000 to help pay off their debts but, rather than taking the disappointing exchange rate offered by his bank, he shops around and finds two money transfer companies willing to offer a much more affordable transaction.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $585.060 XOF||$1 USD = $570.195 XOF|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup or bank account deposit||Cash pickup|
|Processing time||1 hour for cash pickup, 3-4 business days for bank deposit||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in XOF)||$585,060 XOF||$570,195 XOF|
As you can see, Nick can send almost $15,000 XOF extra (and avoid paying a transfer fee) if he uses the first company.
Find the right company by comparing these details
- Exchange rates. How does the company’s exchange compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay per transfer, and does this amount differ based on the amount you send or the transfer method you select?
- Transfer methods. What do you need to do to place a transfer? Can you visit a website, make a phone call, visit a branch or use a smartphone app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. How long will the transfer take from the moment you hand over the cash to the moment your recipient can access the funds?
- Minimum limit. If a minimum transfer limit applies, how high is it? Is there a maximum transfer limit?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary collect the cash from a transfer agent, or will they need to wait for it to be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. Can you rely on phone, email and online customer support if you ever need help?
Foreign exchange rates explained
As of January 2018, the rate of a West African CFA Franc (XOF) to US Dollar (USD) sits at about 1 USD to 555.61 XOF. This number fluctuates daily due to different political and economic influences, so it’s important you compare exchange rates over the course of a few days to be sure you’re trading money at the highest value.
Steps to send money to Togo
- Find a money transfer company from the table above and click Go to Site.
- Give a bit of information about yourself–name, contact information, address, etc. A valid form of photo ID, such as a driver’s license or a passport, will also be required.
- Give information about your recipient (name, contact details).
- Decide the amount of money you want to transfer and where you want it send.
- Save your tracking number to ensure your transfer got to your recipient.
Options for sending money from America to Togo
- Bank transfers. Transfer the funds from your American bank account to a bank account in Togo.
- Online money transfer providers. Companies like TransferMate can help you send secure and affordable transfers.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram offer fast and secure transfers, with the cash available for pickup from agent locations throughout Togo.
Tips for picking up cash in Togo
- Avoid cash pickup locations in unsafe areas.
- Ask a friend to join you when you go to pick up the cash.
- Don’t display your cash in public.
- Don’t carry a large amount of cash around in your wallet – deposit it with your bank or in a hotel safe.
- Stay aware of your personal security at all times.
Read more on this topic
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to CurrencyFair Thinking of using CurrencyFair? Double check to make sure it’s the best option for you before sending money overseas.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. TorFX We look at TorFX and XE to see which will get you a better deal the next time you send money overseas.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert