Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Timor-Leste
Here's how you can send affordable money transfers from the US to Timor-Leste.
Sending money from the US to Timor-Leste doesn’t have to be a difficult process. Since the currency of Timor-Leste is the USD, you won’t have to worry about varying exchange rates, but you will have to consider the other costs of transferring money.
On this page, you can compare the rates between transfer companies and learn how to pick up cash with ease.
Send money to Timor-Leste with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Send to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up.
- Use promo code 3FREE to send your first three transfers with no fee.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare money transfer companies to Timor-Leste
What's in this guide?
- Compare money transfer companies to Timor-Leste
- How do I send money to Timor-Leste?
- What's the difference between transfer companies?
- What are my options for sending money to Timor-Leste from the U.S.?
- How do I send money to Timor-Leste?
- Quick cash transfers to Timor-Leste
- Tips for picking up cash in Timor-Leste
How do I send money to Timor-Leste?
There are currently only a few providers that offer money transfers to Timor-Leste, and none allow funds to be transferred directly into the recipient’s bank account. The money will have to be picked up at a physical location.
Both MoneyGram and Western Union provide transfers to Timor-Lest. MoneyGram allows you to do so online, but Western Union requires you to send money in-person at a storefront.
Case Study: Tony Sends Money to Timor-Leste
Tony lives in Boston but has friends all around the world. One of those friends is Charlie, who lives in Dili in Timor-Leste, and who has fallen on some hard financial times. When Charlie contacts Tony and asks him for a little emergency cash, Tony looks for the quickest way to get some money to his friend.
Tony compares the services of two money transfer companies, and because the official currency of Timor-Leste is the USD, exchange rate isn’t a factor. He checks the fees and how quickly Charlie will receive $1,000.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Transfer fee using credit card||$81||$81|
|Transfer fee using bank account||$25||$8|
|Transfer method||Online||Agent location|
|Processing time||within minutes||4 business days|
|How will the money be received||cash pick-up||cash pick-up|
As you can see, if Tony uses Company 2 and has the money drafted from his bank account, he will only pay $8 in fees. However, he will have to go to an agent location, and Charlie won’t receive his money for 4 days. If he uses Company 1 and has the money drafted from his bank account, it will cost him $25, but Charlie will get the funds almost immediately.
What’s the difference between transfer companies?
When you’re sending money to Timor-Leste, be sure you compare the transfer services of each company to be sure you’re getting the best rates.
- Transfer fees. Transaction fees can range from a couple of bucks to $70 or more. It pays to check how much you’ll have to pay per transaction before signing up for an account with a transfer provider.
- Transfer methods. Every company differs in the ways it allows you to send money. If it matters to you, check if they do transfers online, over the phone, via a mobile app and/or by visiting a branch.
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later (a forward contract)? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. Check to see how long the company will take to deliver the money to the recipient. Processing times vary from a few minutes to five business days or more.
- Transfer limits. Some companies impose minimum and maximum transaction limits, so check to see if these limits will affect you.
- Customer service. Are phone, email and live online chat available? How quickly will the customer support team answer any questions you have?
What’s a same currency transfer?
The process of sending money to Timor-Leste is much simpler than with other countries because the national currency is the USD. This means you can go through your bank or a money transfer service and you won’t have to worry about losing money based on whether the currency is strong or weak compared to the USD.
What are my options for sending money to Timor-Leste from the U.S.?
- Specialist transfer companies. Dedicated online transfer companies provide fast and cost-effective international transactions.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. Search online to see if a cash pickup transfer company has convenient locations in Timor-Leste for your recipient.
- Bank transfers. Ask for a quote from your bank so you can get an idea of the exchange rate you will receive and the fee you will have to pay to send money to Timor-Leste.
- International guaranteed checks. Another option, although a little time-consuming, is to obtain an international check from your bank and mail it to your recipient overseas.Back to top
How do I send money to Timor-Leste?
The transfer method you must follow will vary depending on the transfer provider you choose, but you will generally need to:
- Find a transfer service. Before you settle on a transfer service, be sure to compare your options based on how fast you need to send the money and how much it will cost you.
- Sign up for an account. Click the Go to Site button and create an account with the company.This is usually free to do, but you’ll need to supply your name, contact details and ID.
- Provide your transaction details. You’ll need to specify where you are sending the money, how much you are sending and who will be receiving the funds.
- Complete your transfer. You can then submit your transfer after reviewing the exchange rate you will receive and the transaction fee you will need to pay.
- Track your progress. Most providers will then give you a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your funds.
Quick cash transfers to Timor-Leste
If you need to quickly send a cash transfer to Timor-Leste, be prepared to pay more than you would for a normal transaction. Higher transfer fees and lower exchange rates are par for the course with quick transfers, so it’s always a good idea to review the transaction details before you send any money.
Tips for picking up cash in Timor-Leste
It is recommended to exercise a high degree of caution, so take care when collecting cash from a transfer agent. Confirm the agent’s location in an area you know to be safe and opening hours before visiting. Take a friend along rather than going up by yourself, and make sure not to display your cash in public, which can make you an easy target for thieves.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Netspend Small Business Prepaid card review
This business account supports in-person payments and lets you manage employee spending.
Douugh banking review
The Douugh banking app uses AI to optimize your finances, but it lacks key features.
Live Oak Bank Business Savings account review
This online-only business savings account lets you build your savings with a high APY and no fees.
Passbook account review
Passbook accounts help immigrants in the US manage their money without paying bank fees.
RSI Bank Go Digital! Savings review
RSI’s Go Digital savings account offers a decent APY, but is it right for you?
Bellwether Smart Cash Card review
Earn flat 1.5% cashback on all purchases or save money with balance transfers.
Bellwether Smart Rewards Card review
Earn flat 1.5x points on everything you buy or save money with a balance transfer.
Goalsetter Cashola card review
The Cashola card can help your kids save, but is it right for your family?
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
How to plan a road trip during coronavirus
Best tips for planning a road trip and saving money along the way.
Ask an Expert