Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to East Timor (Timor-Leste)
Here's how you can send affordable money transfers from the US to Timor-Leste.
Updated . What changed?
Sending money from the US to East Timor (Timor-Leste) doesn’t have to be a difficult process. Since the currency of East Timor is the USD, you won’t have to worry as much about varying exchange rates, but you will have to consider the other costs of transferring money.
Send money to Timor-Leste with WorldRemit
WorldRemit sends money to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposits, cash pick-ups or mobile top-ups.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare money transfer companies to East Timor
Best ways to send money to East Timor
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to East Timor. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like Wise and XE specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to East Timor. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in East Timor, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like Remitly and WorldRemit allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in East Timor— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe US dollar may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to East Timor.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to East TimorLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in East Timor. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of March 5, 2021.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$4||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 0.992 USD||1 USD = 1 USD||1 USD = 1 USD|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in East Timor. A cash transfer sends the most, which is USD$21 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to East Timor in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to East Timor online
Sign up and send money to East Timor with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in East Timor.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to East Timor. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to East Timor
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to East Timor. Consider:
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of US dollars you're sending to East Timor.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to East Timor.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in East Timor or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
How to send money to East Timor without a bank accountIf you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up US dollars without a bank account.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to East Timor quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in East Timor may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to East Timor
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to East Timor should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Documents needed to receive money in East Timor
To pick up money in person, documentation may include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer's confirmation details — called a PIN, a MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending your hard-earned money to East Timor shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
Frequently asked questions
What documents are needed to send money from the US?
To send money from the US to East Timor, you'll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver's license, passport or other government-issued ID. Some services allow you to send transfers without ID, but they may require your SSN.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal checks.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient's name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number, bank account and routing number information in East Timor.
Can I use PayPal in East Timor?
PayPal does not offers service in East Timor. Instead, compare money transfer options that allow you to send money to East Timor (Timor-Leste).
More guides on Finder
7 debt relief scams to have on your radar
Don’t be fooled by false promises — here are red flags to watch out for and tips to find a legit company.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Remittances weakened by a struggling US dollar
Understanding your money sending options can help you send the most money abroad while the dollar struggles.
Usend combines money transfers, bill pay and mobile phone reloading.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
How does teledentistry work?
Replace your biannual checkup with a virtual appointment to save time and stay safe.
Review: Boxypay international money transfers
Pairing international calls with money transfers makes Boxypay a unique choice.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers to Hong Kong
Sending a large money transfer to Hong Kong? Learn about laws and required documentation before you transfer.
Live Oak Bank Business Savings account review
This online-only business savings account lets you build your savings with a high APY and no fees.
Ask an Expert