Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Send money to Switzerland
Find the quickest and cheapest way to make an international transfer to Switzerland.
Send money to Switzerland with CurrencyTransfer
Exclusive: Minimum transfer of $1,000 for Finder readers (normally $5,000).
For larger transfers, get no transaction fees and no maximum send limits.
- Get the best foreign exchange rates available from this online marketplace
- Fast 1-2 day delivery to bank accounts
- Price-match guarantee if you find a better price elsewhere
Compare international money transfers to Switzerland
What's in this guide?
Banks vs. money transfer services
Many banks offer money transfer services to Switzerland, but that doesn’t make them the best deal. They often charge high fees, have subpar exchange rates and process transfers slowly. Another option you might want to consider is an independent money transfer company. These tend to offer all around better deals than banks, and many have different features that set them apart when you want to send money to Switzerland.
Case Study: Roger sends money to Switzerland
Roger is a professional athlete based in the United States. He wants to send a Christmas gift of $2,000 to his parents back home in Bern, but he knows that sending the money through his bank will be unnecessarily expensive. He decides to calculate the costs involved in sending the same amount of money through two well-known money transfer companies.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 0.97 CHF||1 USD = 0.96 CHF|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Transfer speed||1 to 3 business days||3 business days|
|Total CHF received||1,940 CHF||1,920 CHF|
The first company charges a lower transfer fee and also allows Roger to send an extra 20 CHF, which makes it an easy choice for Roger.
Options for sending money to Switzerland from the US
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks can safely wire your funds to Switzerland. However, the frustratingly high fees and weaker exchange rates you’ll receive by going through your bank may not make this your first choice.
- Online money transfer services. These specialists offer more affordable transfers than banks, allowing you to quickly and easily manage your transactions from home. With competitive exchange rates and lower fees, you can send funds from your bank account or visit an agent location.
- Providers with cash pickup. Trusted providers like Western Union and MoneyGram give your recipient fast access to the cash you send — sometimes within minutes. However, services typically cost more than an online transfer specialist and vary by where you’re transferring your money and how you’re paying for it.
- PayPal transfers. Not just for online purchases, PayPal offers transfers to more than 100 countries and supports multiple currencies. Its exchange rates are often better than those you’ll get from a bank but not quite as strong as rates from money transfer companies. PayPal calculates its transfer fee as a percentage of the amount you’re sending, which means it’s often better for sending smaller amounts of money.
- International money order. You can get this type of money order from your bank and send it overseas to your recipient, who then cashes it in at their own bank. While more secure than a personal check, it’s a slower option than using an electronic transfer. It also costs a little more — you’ll have to purchase the check, and your recipient may be charged a fee by their own bank cashed.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is used by banks and international businesses to determine how much one country’s currency is worth when it’s converted to another currency. The Swiss franc is a strong currency when compared to the US dollar.
Find the best provider for your transfer
Answer three quick questions and we'll give you an instant recommendation for a money transfer service based on your needs.
Question 1 of 2
Based on your answers, check out:
How to send money to Switzerland
- Select a money transfer provider from the table above.
- Click Go to site when you’re ready to make an account.
- Start a transfer by entering how much you want to send and your recipient’s information.
- Pay for your transfer and save your tracking number.
Same-day transfers to Switzerland
If you need to send a same-day transfer to Switzerland, you’ll want to take the time to compare rates. Some companies will charge higher fees or offer less favorable exchange rates when you need quick processing time, so you’ll need to be on the lookout for a good deal if you don’t want to break the bank with a money transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in Switzerland
Although Switzerland is a relatively safe country, there is always a risk when picking up cash. Be sure to bring a friend along with you to an agent location in a safe area, and don’t take too long to deposit your cash into your bank account. If you do need to go somewhere with a large amount of cash, keep your bag close by and avoid taking out large amounts of money in front of strangers. This should help you minimize the risk of being stolen from, but as with everything, always remain aware of your surroundings and vigilant.
Making a money transfer to Switzerland is easy enough, but you’ll have quite a few options to choose from. Narrow down your choices by comparing exchange rates, fees and processing times. And to get the best deal when making a money transfer to Switzerland, learn more about money transfers before selecting a provider.
Cash pickup locations in Switzerland
Read more on this topic
US remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Best ways to send money online Navigate the world of sending money domestically and internationally with our hand-picked list of popular services.
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
TransferWise account for e-commerce sellers review Receive payments in five local currencies and convert them to dozens of others using one account.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
Send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Ask an Expert