Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Sierra Leone
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Sierra Leone.
Send money to Sierra Leone with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Send to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up.
- Use promo code 3FREE to send your first three transfers with no fee.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare international money transfers to Sierra Leone
What are my options for sending money to Sierra Leone from the US?
- Banks. Banks usually don’t send exotic currencies like the Sierra Leonean leone, but you may be able to find one that does make international transfers. If you do, check out its exchange rates and fees. Banks are known for having less favorable terms, so check these out before you complete a transfer.
- Non-banks. Money transfer companies such as Western Union and WorldRemit let you send money to Sierra Leone from the US. You can use their services to transfer funds to a bank account or send money to a cash pickup location. You can also transfer funds via PayPal, provided both you and the recipient have PayPal accounts.
Case Study: Banks vs. money transfer companies
Emmanuel managed to get a job shortly after his arrival in the US, but his family is still living in Sierra Leone. He wants to send them $500, but because the leone is an exotic currency, Emmanuel wasn’t able to use his bank. Instead, he compares two money transfer options.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 8350 SLL||1 USD = 8200 SLL|
|Transfer options||Bank account||Cash pickup|
|Transfer time||1 day||1 day|
|Amount received for $500||4,175,000 SLL||4,100,000 SLL|
Emmanuel noticed that while the second service provider did not charge a fee, the first service provider offered a highly competitive exchange rate. By using the first service provider his family ended up receiving considerably more money, even though he had to pay a fee.
What are the steps to send money to Sierra Leone?
Although every provider will have a slightly different method of creating an account and starting a transfer, these steps should guide you through the basic process.
- Compare your money transfer options in the table above.
- Select Go to site when you’re ready to start a transaction.
- Create an account, enter information about your recipient and select how much you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer and save the tracking number.
You may also want to research other providers that send money to Sierra Leone to make sure you’re getting a good deal when you make a transfer.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is the way banks and other money transfer companies determine how much currencies are worth when traded with one another. Strong currencies like the US dollar generally yield more than weak currencies like the Sierra Leonean leone, which means you’ll be able to send more leone to your recipient for less money on your end.
Emergency cash transfers in Sierra Leone
If you need to make an emergency transfer, you’ll have to do your due diligence to make sure you aren’t losing out. Often, providers will charge higher fees and offer less favorable exchange rates when the transfer is made in under a day. Although possible, it can be costly for both you and your recipient. If they can wait a few days, it may be a better idea to make a normal transfer that will get more money into your recipient’s pocket and cost you less in terms of fees.
Tips for picking up cash in Sierra Leone
Picking up cash from a transfer agent in Sierra Leone? Follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Sierra Leone has dealt with years of strife. Because of this, there aren’t many options when you’re looking to send money from the US to a recipient. However, you should still take the time to research money transfer companies that offer transfers. You may be able to find a good deal that gets plenty of money in your recipient’s pocket and doesn’t cost you too much in terms of fees.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Use this crypto-enabled prepaid card to spend, save or exchange in digital and traditional currencies.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralized finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
This digital bank account features cashback rewards and a built-in envelope budgeting system.
New digital bank for teens focuses on education
This forthcoming online bank account from Copper will reward your teen for developing good saving and spending habits.
New OFX Global Currency Account offers banking for international businesses
Cut costs by sending, receiving and holding seven major currencies in a single bank account.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
Revolut digital bank accounts now available in the US
The popular money management and money transfer app Revolut is now available to American customers.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
Sending money to Mexico during the coronavirus
Learn how COVID-19 may affect how you transfer cash across the border.
Ask an Expert