Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Sierra Leone
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Sierra Leone.
If you’re looking to send money to Sierra Leone, you should be prepared to compare your options. This exotic currency isn’t widely-traded, which means you’ll need to spend extra time finding a provider that can send money from the US to your recipient in Sierra Leone.
Send money to Sierra Leone with WorldRemit
WorldRemit sends money to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposits, cash pick-ups or mobile top-ups.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare international money transfers to Sierra Leone
Best ways to send money to Sierra Leone
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Sierra Leone. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like XE and Remitly specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Sierra Leone. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Sierra Leone, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like WorldRemit and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Sierra Leone— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Sierra Leonean leone may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Sierra Leone.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Sierra LeoneLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Sierra Leone. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates using today's rate of 1 USD = 10.000 SLL.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$4||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 9.970 SLL||1 USD = 9.950 SLL||1 USD = 9.500 SLL|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Sierra Leone. A digital transfer sends the most, which is SLL$708 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Sierra Leone in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Sierra Leone online
Sign up and send money to Sierra Leone with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Sierra Leone.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Sierra Leone. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Sierra Leone
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Sierra Leone. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–SLL relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Sierra Leonean leone rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–SLL exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Sierra Leonean leones you're sending to Sierra Leone.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Sierra Leone.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Sierra Leone or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
How to send money to Sierra Leone without a bank accountIf you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up Sierra Leonean leones without a bank account.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Sierra Leone quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Sierra Leone's exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Sierra Leone's currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-SLL relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to SLL
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Sierra Leone may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Sierra Leone
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Sierra Leone should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Sierra Leone:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Sierra Leone from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Sierra Leone.
Sending your hard-earned money to Sierra Leone shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
You can now pay for car insurance in Bitcoin – here’s how
You can pay for car insurance in Bitcoin, even if your insurer doesn’t accept it yet.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Invest in your child’s future and encourage others to do so, too. Learn about EarlyBird.
Usend combines money transfers, bill pay and mobile phone reloading.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
Review: Boxypay international money transfers
Pairing international calls with money transfers makes Boxypay a unique choice.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers to Hong Kong
Sending a large money transfer to Hong Kong? Learn about laws and required documentation before you transfer.
Use this crypto-enabled prepaid card to spend, save or exchange in digital and traditional currencies.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
Ask an Expert