Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Send money to Sierra Leone
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Sierra Leone.
Send money to Sierra Leone with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Send to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up.
- Use promo code 3FREE to send your first three transfers with no fee.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare international money transfers to Sierra Leone
What are my options for sending money to Sierra Leone from the US?
- Banks. Banks usually don’t send exotic currencies like the Sierra Leonean leone, but you may be able to find one that does make international transfers. If you do, check out its exchange rates and fees. Banks are known for having less favorable terms, so check these out before you complete a transfer.
- Non-banks. Money transfer companies such as Western Union and WorldRemit let you send money to Sierra Leone from the US. You can use their services to transfer funds to a bank account or send money to a cash pickup location. You can also transfer funds via PayPal, provided both you and the recipient have PayPal accounts.
Case Study: Banks vs. money transfer companies
Emmanuel managed to get a job shortly after his arrival in the US, but his family is still living in Sierra Leone. He wants to send them $500, but because the leone is an exotic currency, Emmanuel wasn’t able to use his bank. Instead, he compares two money transfer options.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 8350 SLL||1 USD = 8200 SLL|
|Transfer options||Bank account||Cash pickup|
|Transfer time||1 day||1 day|
|Amount received for $500||4,175,000 SLL||4,100,000 SLL|
Emmanuel noticed that while the second service provider did not charge a fee, the first service provider offered a highly competitive exchange rate. By using the first service provider his family ended up receiving considerably more money, even though he had to pay a fee.
What are the steps to send money to Sierra Leone?
Although every provider will have a slightly different method of creating an account and starting a transfer, these steps should guide you through the basic process.
- Compare your money transfer options in the table above.
- Select Go to site when you’re ready to start a transaction.
- Create an account, enter information about your recipient and select how much you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer and save the tracking number.
You may also want to research other providers that send money to Sierra Leone to make sure you’re getting a good deal when you make a transfer.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is the way banks and other money transfer companies determine how much currencies are worth when traded with one another. Strong currencies like the US dollar generally yield more than weak currencies like the Sierra Leonean leone, which means you’ll be able to send more leone to your recipient for less money on your end.
Emergency cash transfers in Sierra Leone
If you need to make an emergency transfer, you’ll have to do your due diligence to make sure you aren’t losing out. Often, providers will charge higher fees and offer less favorable exchange rates when the transfer is made in under a day. Although possible, it can be costly for both you and your recipient. If they can wait a few days, it may be a better idea to make a normal transfer that will get more money into your recipient’s pocket and cost you less in terms of fees.
Tips for picking up cash in Sierra Leone
Picking up cash from a transfer agent in Sierra Leone? Follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Sierra Leone has dealt with years of strife. Because of this, there aren’t many options when you’re looking to send money from the US to a recipient. However, you should still take the time to research money transfer companies that offer transfers. You may be able to find a good deal that gets plenty of money in your recipient’s pocket and doesn’t cost you too much in terms of fees.Back to top
Read more on this topic
US remittance statistics
We’ve unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Best ways to send money online
Navigate the world of sending money domestically and internationally with our hand-picked list of popular services.
XE vs. OFX money transfers
Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to InstaReM
Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
TransferWise account for e-commerce sellers review
Receive payments in five local currencies and convert them to dozens of others using one account.
XE vs. Western Union
We compare XE’s and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal
Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise
Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
Send money to Guinea
Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney
Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Ask an Expert