Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Seychelles
If you’re looking for the best possible deal when you send money to Seychelles, compare your transfer options and search for the best exchange rate.
Seychelles may be a small island nation off the coast of Africa, but it doesn’t mean you’re out of luck when you need to send money there from the US. Compare exchange rates and transfer fees from different providers to see where you can get the best deal to keep your costs low while sending as many Seychellois rupees to your recipient.
Send money to Seychelles with WorldRemit
WorldRemit sends money to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposits, cash pick-ups or mobile top-ups.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare international money transfers to Seychelles
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best ways to send money to Seychelles
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Seychelles. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like XE and OFX specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Seychelles. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Seychelles, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like WorldRemit and MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Seychelles— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Seychellois rupee may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Seychelles.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to SeychellesLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Seychelles. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates using today's rate of 1 USD = 15.350 SCR.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$4||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 15.304 SCR||1 USD = 15.273 SCR||1 USD = 14.583 SCR|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Seychelles. A digital transfer sends the most, which is SCR$1,086 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Seychelles in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Seychelles online
Sign up and send money to Seychelles with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Seychelles.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Seychelles. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Seychelles
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Seychelles. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–SCR relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Seychellois rupee rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–SCR exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Seychellois rupees you're sending to Seychelles.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Seychelles.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Seychelles or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
How to send money to Seychelles without a bank accountIf you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up Seychellois rupees without a bank account.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Seychelles quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Seychelles' exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Seychelles' currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-SCR relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to SCR
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Seychelles may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Seychelles
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Seychelles should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Seychelles:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Seychelles from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Seychelles.
Sending your hard-earned money to Seychelles shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
UNest provides robo-advising for your child’s investment account for a monthly fee.
Porte Banking review
Porte donates to a charity whenever you use your card, but you can’t overdraft from savings.
Review: Venmo app for cryptocurrency
Venmo provides a convenient way to send money to friends, and now users can buy cryptocurrency like Bitcoin with as little as $1.
Unifimoney account review
Unifimoney lets you spend, save and invest, but it’s only free for high-income individuals.
Bitcoin cloud mining
Read the full guide to Bitcoin cloud mining to see how these questionable services operate.
Ando Spending Account review
Reduce your carbon emissions and enjoy no monthly fees with this ethical checking account.
T. Rowe Price review
Features, fees and complaints to consider before you apply for a T. Rowe Price account.
E-Trade alternatives offer lower fees and more investment options. Learn more.
Divorce Forms Filler review
An online DIY service that charges a flat rate to generate your divorce paperwork — but watch out for the automatic membership fee.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
Ask an Expert