Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to send money to Paraguay
Find a quick, cost-effective way to transfer funds to friends and family internationally.
Send money to Paraguay with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Send to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up.
- Use promo code 3FREE to get three free transfers.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare international money transfers to Paraguay
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds overseas with our money transfer partners.
Banks vs. money transfer companies
While you’ll be tempted to visit your bank for a wire transfer to Paraguay, a reputable money transfer service can typically offer better exchange rates, lower fees and faster delivery — often without you having to leave your home.
Banks don’t often publish exchange rates, but you can sometimes find the rate you’ll receive by logging in to your online bank account.
Case Study: Case study: Rodrigo sends money to Paraguay
Rodrigo recently relocated to New York City for business, but he keeps strong ties with his family in Asuncion.
When Rodrigo’s brother began planning his wedding, Rodrigo realized that he wouldn’t be able to make it given obligations that came with his new job. To help make the day the best for his brother, Rodrigo looks into seeing how much it’d cost for him to send $1,000 by comparing two money transfer providers to find the best deal.
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 5,537.1750||1 USD = 5426.16 PYG|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Cash pickup|
|Transfer speed||Within 2 business days||10 minutes|
|Total PYG received||5,537,175 PYG||5,426,160 PYG|
Rodrigo discovers that while the second company could get his money to Paraguay more quickly, it simply isn’t worth it to him to pay the $10 extra dollars in fees and get a weaker exchange rate. By choosing Company A, Rodrigo keeps more money in his pocket and can contribute 111,015 extra guarani to his brother’s wedding thanks to a stronger exchange rate.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Paraguay
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a lot of money, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Many transfer specialists allow payment by credit card online, by phone or through an app, while others staff agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Learn the options available for your recipient to receive your funds — for instance, bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. Western Union, MoneyGram and others offer quick cash pickups, often in minutes. But if you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since many providers encourage larger transfers by offering lower or no fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer support by live chat, by phone, in person or through email. Make sure help is available when you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means they can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
How to send money to Paraguay
Whether you send money through your bank, an online money transfer specialist or an app, you’ll often need to first register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method. Keep a record of any transaction reference number you receive so that you can review the progress of your transfer.
Ways to send money to Paraguay from the US
- Bank transfers. Not all major US banks will allow you to send money to Paraguay, and those that do could attach high fees and weak rates.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and XE can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. While it can be expensive, this electronic payment giant can move your money from the US to friends and family in Paraguay.
- Checks and money orders. Although it’s not fast, you can buy an international check from your local bank or the US Postal Service to mail to loved ones and businesses in Paraguay.
Must read: How safe is a money transfer?
When processed through a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. When sending money internationally, federal protections are in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Picking up cash
Whether picking up funds in Limpio or anywhere else in the world, avoid becoming a target for thieves by following a few simple safety precautions.
- Call ahead. Learn the agent’s or company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash, preferably during daytime.
- Take along a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to accompany you.
- Immediately deposit your money. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or carelessness grows the longer you have it on you. Deposit your cash at a bank as soon as possible.
- Hide your cash. Before leaving the office, put your money in your purse or wallet. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Emergency cash transfers in Paraguay
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Paraguay — for example, to help out a friend who’s lost their wallet while traveling. When you need to transfer funds quickly, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you in the end.
You have multiple options to choose from when sending money to Paraguay from the United States. To get the best value for money for your international money transfer, compare the benefits and features of competing services before selecting a provider.
Find a money transfer location near you
Read more on this topic
US remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Best ways to send money online Navigate the world of sending money domestically and internationally with our hand-picked list of popular services.
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert