Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Papua New Guinea.
From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to Papua New Guinea is easy. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
WorldRemit International Money Transfers
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FREE.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare money transfer services to Papua New Guinea
Banks versus money transfer companies
Banks might offer a convenient choice when it comes to sending money overseas, but they certainly don’t offer the most cost-effective option. With high transfer fees and some pretty poor exchange rates, banks take more than their fair share of the amount you transfer.
If you want to find a better deal, consider the services offered by money transfer companies such as OFX. These providers concentrate all their efforts on moving funds internationally, offering safe, easy and affordable transfers. With lower transfer fees and superior exchange rates, they can save you money the next time you need to send money to PNG.
Ben’s girlfriend Sarah has been transferred to Papua New Guinea to work for six months. With her birthday fast approaching, Ben wants to send Sarah a $1,000 money transfer as a gift. Instead of approaching his bank to send the transfer — he’s seen the poor exchange rates they offer, and they don’t offer exotic currencies — he decides to compare two money transfer companies and see which one offers the most affordable option.
As you can see in the table below, using the first transfer company will save Ben $5 in transfer fees and also allow him to send an extra 65 PGK.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $2.111 PGK||$1 USD = $2.046 PGK|
|Transfer method||Online bank account transfer||Online bank account transfer|
|Processing time||1-3 days||1-3 days|
|Amount received (in PGK)||$2,111 PGK||$2,046 PGK|
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Papua New Guinea?
- Exchange rates. Does the company offer better exchange rates than its competitors?
- Transaction fees. How much will you need to pay in fees each time you send money to Papua New Guinea? Can you avoid fees by sending large transfer amounts?
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers in a branch or online? What about over the phone or through a mobile app?
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Transfer time. How long will it take until the funds you send make it into your recipient’s bank account or wallet?
- Minimum transfer amounts. If the company imposes minimum or maximum transfer limits, will these have an impact on your transfer needs?
- Pickup options. Can your beneficiary collect the funds from a cash pickup location? Or will the money be deposited straight into their bank account?
- Customer service. If you ever need help with a transfer, does the company provide phone, email and live chat support?
What are my options for sending money to Papua New Guinea from the U.S.?
- Money transfer providers. Online transfer providers such as OFX offer fast and affordable transfers.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are two world-renowned companies that offer this service.
- Bank transfers. Compare your bank’s exchange rates and fees with those from other transfer providers.
- International checks. International guaranteed checks are a safe but slow transfer method.
What are the steps to send money to Papua New Guinea?
Although the transfer method will differ according to the provider you select, in most cases you will need to:
1. Sign up for an account. You can often do this at no cost online by providing your name, full contact details and a valid form of photo ID.
2. Enter transaction details. Provide details about how much money you’re sending, the currency you’re sending, and who will be receiving the funds.
3. Pay for the transfer. You can then review the details of the transaction and submit a transfer request. Many providers offer online tracking services so you can monitor the progress of your funds.
Tips for picking up cash in Papua New Guinea
When you go to pick up cash from a transfer agent in PNG, follow a few simple precautions to ensure that you stay safe. Don’t go alone to a transfer branch and only pick up cash in an area where you feel safe. Don’t display the cash in front of strangers and make sure to deposit it somewhere safe as soon as possible.Back to top