Find the most cost-effective and convenient way to make an international money transfer to send money to Pakistan.
WorldRemit International Money Transfers
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare money transfer services to Pakistan
Banks versus money transfer companies
If you need to send money to Pakistan, you may approach your bank to initiate the transfer. However, if you use a major bank to complete the global money transfer, you most likely won’t receive a competitive exchange rate on your transaction, and you’ll have to pay sizable fees.
For a more cost-effective option, you may want to check out the services provided by a specialist money transfer company. Providers like Xoom and PakRemit offer online transfers from the US to Pakistan with better exchange rates than banks, and many have lower transfer fees.
Yousuf sends money to PakistanYousuf works in the United States and wants to send $1,000 to his wife back in Pakistan. While his bank could transfer the money, the high fees and low exchange rate make it a less valuable offer. In an effort to save money on his end and send more to his wife at home, he compares the services of two online money transfer companies.
|Transfer company 1||Transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $99.40 PKR||$1 USD = $100.08 PKR|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Processing time||Within minutes||2 to 4 business days|
|PKR Received||$99,400 PKR||$100,080 PKR|
As the table shows, not only can Yousuf save $15 in transfer fees by using the second money transfer provider, but he’ll also be able to send his family an extra 680 rupees.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Pakistan
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. If you need to send an urgent transfer, some providers allow you to send funds that become available for collection within minutes.
- Minimum amount. Some money transfer providers will impose a minimum limit on the amount you can send; for example, $500. This can be quite restrictive if you only want to transfer a relatively small amount of money.
- Exchange rates. The exchange rate impacts how much money arrives in your recipient’s account, so see how each provider’s rates stack up against the competition. However, don’t forget that providers with better exchange rates may also charge higher fees.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas will usually incur a transaction fee, and these can range from $3 to $25 or more. Once again, remember to examine fees alongside the exchange rates offered by a provider.
- Transfer methods. While some providers only allow you to make transfers online, others will allow you to send funds over the phone or by visiting a branch.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is used by banks and money transfer providers to determine how much one country’s currency is worth in the currency of another country. The US dollar is generally strong, which means it will yield more when exchange for rupees. The exact amount depends on the global economy and your individual money transfer provider. For example, in September 2018 the US dollar was worth about 123.75 Pakistani rupees. This amount can change daily, so check back often to see if you can get a good deal, especially if you frequently send money to Pakistan.
Options for sending money to Pakistan from America
- Bank-to-bank transfers. Speak to your financial institution about how you can send money from your US bank account to your recipient’s Pakistani bank account.
- Online money transfer companies. Services like PakRemit, Ria and Xoom all allow you to send money to Pakistan online.
- Money transfer companies with a cash pickup option. MoneyGram and Western Union are two companies that allow you to send funds online or from an agent location in the US, and the cash can be collected from an agent in Pakistan.
- Checks. This money transfer method is not as efficient as other transfer methods, but it still enables you to send funds overseas.
How to send money to Pakistan
- Use the table above to compare some of your money transfer options.
- Click Go to site when you’re ready to start your transfer.
- Create an account and start a transaction.
- Enter your recipient’s information and how much you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Save your tracking number or receipt to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in Pakistan
Emergency transfers to Pakistan are possible, but it might cost you. These tend to have higher fees and less favorable exchange rates, meaning it will cost you more to potentially send less. However, if an emergency situation arises and you need to send money fast, an emergency transfer might be the solution to get your recipient rupees when they need them.
Tips for picking up cash in Pakistan
Because many cash pickup locations are in big cities, it’s important to stay aware of your surroundings. When picking up cash, be careful not to make yourself a target. Bring a friend along to help, and have a nondescript bag you can use to carry your rupees. You can also limit your risk by quickly depositing your cash into a safe or bank account.