Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Namibia
Check the exchange rates for several accepted currencies to get the best deal.
While the Namibian dollar is the official currency, South African rands are widely accepted, and US dollars are also accepted in some places. Check with your recipient to find out which currency they need before starting a transfer.
Compare money transfer services for Namibia
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best ways to send money to Namibia
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Namibia. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like XE and PayPal specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Namibia. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Namibia, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like WorldRemit and MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Namibia— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Namibian rand may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Namibia.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to NamibiaLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Namibia. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates using today's rate of 1 USD = 0.000 NAD.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$0||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 0.000 NAD||1 USD = 0.000 NAD||1 USD = 0.000 NAD|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Namibia. A cash transfer sends the most, which is NAD$0 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Namibia in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Namibia online
Sign up and send money to Namibia with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Namibia.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Namibia. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Namibia
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Namibia. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–NAD relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Namibian rand rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–NAD exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Namibian rands you're sending to Namibia.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Namibia.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Namibia or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Namibia quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Namibia's exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Namibia's currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-NAD relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to NAD
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Namibia may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Namibia
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Namibia should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Namibia:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Namibia from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Namibia.
Sending your hard-earned money to Namibia shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Bitcoin (BTC) in the US
Want to buy bitcoin but don’t know where to start? This comprehensive guide provides step-by-step instructions on how and where to buy BTC in the US.
A beginner’s guide to retirement investing
What you need to know to start building your retirement nest egg.
Review: FTX US cryptocurrency exchange
What you need to know about using FTX US, including fees, available cryptocurrencies and what payment methods are available.
Best secured credit cards of 2021
Our top picks can help you build your credit without paying sky-high fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Remittances weakened by a struggling US dollar
Understanding your money sending options can help you send the most money abroad while the dollar struggles.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
How to separate your finances during divorce
Ways to protect your assets and what you need to know about marital debt.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers to Hong Kong
Sending a large money transfer to Hong Kong? Learn about laws and required documentation before you transfer.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
Ask an Expert