Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Namibia
Check the exchange rates for several accepted currencies to get the best deal.
While the Namibian dollar is the official currency, South African rands are widely accepted, and US dollars are also accepted in some places. Check with your recipient to find out which currency they need before starting a transfer.
Compare money transfer services for Namibia
How to send money to Namibia in a few simple steps
- Choose your service.
Not all money transfer services send money to Namibia from the US. Use our table to see which ones do and compare exchange rates, transfer fees and more.
- Create an account.
This usually involves providing some form of identification, like your driver’s license or passport, and proof of address.
- Pick your payment method.
You can typically choose to pay with your bank account, credit card or debit card or in person with cash at an agent location.
- Choose your delivery method.
The next step is to choose how you want the money delivered. It could be picked up as cash or sent directly to a bank account or money app.
- Enter your transaction details.
Enter how much you want to send, the recipient’s details and any other information that’s needed.
- Review your transfer.
Double-check and make sure everything is in order. You’ll also be confirming the exchange rate, in case it’s changed since you started the transfer.
- Send your funds.
The money will be deposited into your recipient’s account in Namibia.
- Receive email/SMS confirmation.
You’ll receive email or SMS confirmation letting you know the funds are on their way.
How to compare Namibia money transfer services
- Exchange rates. What are the exchange rates for your chosen currencies? You can use US dollars, South African rands and Namibian dollars in Namibia, but the exchange rates for each will vary. You might be able to save money by choosing a different currency.
- Fees. How much does a service charge in flat fees? Depending on the transfer, it may be worth taking higher fees for more favorable rates.
- Transfer methods and pickup locations. Make sure the service you’re using works for the recipient. If you’re sending money for a cash pickup, make sure you check for a suitable pickup location.
- Transfer times. Some options may be considerably faster than others. If you’re in a hurry, it can be worth taking a little bit of time to find a fast transfer.
- Limits. There will be minimums as well as maximums. Make sure these work for you.
- Customer service. Who do you call if something goes wrong and will they pick up the phone? Make sure you can contact the money transfer service if needed and that it has a good reputation.
Exchange rates explained
An exchange rate is the value of one currency compared to another currency. These change constantly, so it’s worth checking them again every time you make a transfer.
Different companies will charge different exchange rates. A slight difference in the exchange rate can make a big difference in cost, especially on large transfers.
What are the ways I can send money to Namibia?
- Bank transfer. Depending on your bank, you can go to your local branch or use online banking to send money directly from your account to a recipient in Namibia. However, even where it’s available this option will usually be slower and more expensive than others.
- Cash pickup services. You can send money to be picked up at any one of the several locations in Namibia. The available locations vary depending on which service you use.
- International check or money order. This is a check or money order made out in a foreign currency. You can find these at banks and post offices, then send or take it to Namibia.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Namibia
Let’s take a look at two different transfer companies. The first operates fully online and will deposit the money into your recipient’s bank account. The second option requires you to bring cash to an agent location in the US and have your recipient pick it up in Namibia.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD =14.5426 NAD||1 USD =14.6610 NAD|
|Transfer speed||1–3 days||Within minutes|
|Total USD received||NAD$14,499.12||NAD$14,558.37|
|Receiver gets||NAD$59.25 less||NAD$59.25 more|
In this case, it’s actually slightly cheaper to send cash, even though it has a higher fee. Your recipient ends up with about NAD$59.25 more, or about US$4. The price difference isn’t much, though, so if there wasn’t an agent location near you or your recipient it could be worth it to send a direct deposit.
How long will it take to send money to Namibia?
It depends on your transfer method, the service used, how you’re paying for the transfer and how your recipient is collecting it.
As a rule of thumb, transfer stages involving bank transfers will typically be the slowest, while mobile money, cash payments and pickups are typically the fastest.
Emergency cash transfer
If you need to send cash to Namibia fast, there are a range of services able to facilitate an emergency cash transfer.
It can be available for pickup in just minutes. However, you’ll want to check that the pickup location is close enough for your recipient to easily get to it.
Which services send emergency transfers?
How to send money to Namibia without a bank account
If you don’t have a bank account but still need to send money to Namibia, you can look for a cash transfer service in your location. These are widely available all over the world.
This can also suit recipients who don’t have a bank account, because they don’t need one to receive a cash transfer.
Have more time? Send an overnight money transfer.
Faster transfers are often not the most cost-effective, and you may be able to find lower fees and better rates with a slightly slower transfer. By finding a slower transfer and planning appropriately, such as by making your deposit early in the day so it’s processed on the same day and sending the money on Monday so it doesn’t get stuck over the weekend, you may be able to get an affordable transfer in just a few days.
Tips for picking up cash in Namibia
Pickpocketing and purse snatching happen everywhere, including in Namibia, so it’s a good idea to be cautious when picking up cash.
- Don’t go alone. If possible, take someone with you to be on the safe side.
- Go during the day. The risk of crime increases at night.
- Remain alert. Distractions are often a prelude to robbery and it’s recommended you remain alert when handling cash, especially in large amounts.
Cash pickup locations in Namibia
If you need to send money to Namibia, you have options. Start by finding out if your recipient needs a specific currency, and compare current rates for currencies accepted in Namibia if they don’t. And to get the best deal, you’ll also want to compare money transfer companies before getting started.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Remittances weakened by a struggling US dollar
Understanding your money sending options can help you send the most money abroad while the dollar struggles.
5 smart ways to invest your stimulus check
If you don’t need your money right now, consider investing in an HSA, blue chip stocks and more.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
How to separate your finances during divorce
Ways to protect your assets and what you need to know about marital debt.
Steam cleaning services
Not all steam cleaners are the same. Learn what to look out for and how to compare services so you can be sure you’ve hired a professional.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers to Hong Kong
Sending a large money transfer to Hong Kong? Learn about laws and required documentation before you transfer.
How does Open Enrollment work?
Find out when you can enroll in health insurance for 2021, and compare policies.
Walmart+ review: Benefits, drawbacks and is it worth it?
Here’s what you need to know about Walmart’s new membership service, from its free delivery options to all the in-store perks.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
Ask an Expert