International money transfers don’t have to be expensive. Here’s how you can send money to Morocco.
From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to Morocco is easy. However, do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
Banks versus money transfer companies
If you think that using your bank is the best approach when you need to send money to Morocco, think again. While banks can easily send an international wire transfer for you, the exchange rates they offer are far inferior to those you can fund elsewhere. They will also often charge high fees with each transfer, so you can do a whole lot better by shopping around.
Recent years have seen the emergence of an increasing number of specialist money transfer companies. Rather than spreading themselves across a large and diverse range of products and services, these companies concentrate only on moving money across international borders. As a consequence, they can offer better exchange rates and lower fees than banks, which means big savings for you.
Sam is spending two years in the United States for work, having been given the posting of a lifetime in New York City. But Sam has left behind a wife and child in Morocco, so he wants to send them $1,000 transfers regularly to help them meet their ongoing expenses. Having discovered that there are far cheaper options available than sending a transfer via his bank, Sam compares two money transfer providers to see which one offers the most affordable service.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $9.48 MAD||$1 USD = $9.52 MAD|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Processing time||Same or next working day||1 business day|
|Amount received (in MAD)||$9,480 MAD||$9,520 MAD|
As you can see, the second money transfer company provides a lower transaction fee and allows Sam to send an extra $40 MAD from the same investment of U.S. dollars.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Morocco
- Exchange rates. Does one particular company offer better exchange rates than the competition? What sort of fees are those rates offered with?
- Fees. How much will it cost you to send an international money transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. How can you place a transfer? Can you do it online, over the phone or from a mobile app? Do you need to visit a branch in person?
- Transfer options. Can you place a limit order to be executed when certain market conditions are met? Can you take advantage of current favorable market conditions to lock in an exchange rate for a future transaction?
- Turnaround time. How long will it take the funds you send to arrive to your recipient?
- Minimum transfer amount. Is there a minimum transfer limit and if so, will you be able to meet it whenever you need to send funds?
- Pickup methods. Can the cash be collected from an agent location, or will it be deposited into your beneficiary’s bank account?
- Customer service. Is customer support offered online, over the phone and via email? Is it available 24/7 or only during certain hours.
Options for sending money to Morocco from America
- Bank transfers. Bank-to-bank transfers can be expensive but they are a safe and secure transfer option.
- Online money transfer providers. There are plenty of online money transfer providers that offer fast and affordable transactions. Just make sure to choose a reliable company.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. MoneyGram, Western Union and Ria all offer this option.
- PayPal. Did you know you can send international money transfers using PayPal?
- Checks. International checks are a slow but reliable transfer method.
Emergency cash transfers in Morocco
If you need to send your funds ASAP, some companies will allow you to make your funds available for collection in Morocco within minutes. Just be warned, however, that fast transactions usually come at a price, so you can expect substantially higher fees and sometimes poorer exchange rates as well. That’s why it’s vital that you always take care to double- and triple-check all the details of your transaction to make sure you know exactly how much your transfer is going to cost you.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Morocco
If you’re picking up cash from a transfer agent in Morocco, follow a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves:
- Avoid any high-crime areas and be aware of your personal safety at all times.
- Secure your wallet and/or bag at all times.
- Don’t advertise the fact that you have a just picked up a big wad of cash to anyone.
- Consider asking a friend to accompany you when you pick up the cash.
- Deposit large amounts into your bank account – don’t carry them around the street.
How to send money to Morocco
When you send money to Morocco you’ll need to provide specific details and documents to your money transfer company. Although the exact requirements can differ between providers, you will usually be required to provide:
- Your name
- Your phone number and email address
- Your residential address
- Your date of birth
- Valid photo ID; for example, your driver’s license
You can then provide details of your recipient and the exact transaction you wish to perform, and once you’ve made a transfer you’ll be given a reference number, which you can use to monitor the progress of your funds.