We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Morocco
International money transfers don’t have to be expensive. Here’s how you can send money to Morocco.
Morocco may be a smaller country, but that doesn’t mean you won’t need to send money to a friend or family member. However, it does mean banks can charge you more and may take longer. Compare your money transfer options to find the best way to send money to Morocco without paying high fees or losing out on a bad exchange rate.
- The first transfer is free
- 30,000+ partner agent locations worldwide
- No minimum transfer amount
Why we like: WorldRemit
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
- Use promo code FINDER to send your first transfer with no fee.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
How to send money to Morocco
Sending money to Morocco isn’t a difficult or complicated process. Most money transfer companies follow the same steps so you can get dirhams to your recipient as quickly as possible.
- Choose a provider from the comparison table below.
- Click Go to Site and create an account with the provider.
- Start a transaction and fill in your recipient’s information.
- Select the amount you want to transfer.
- Pay for your transaction and save your tracking number.
Compare money transfer services to Morocco
Options for sending money to Morocco from America
- Bank transfers. Bank-to-bank transfers can be expensive, but they are a safe and secure option.
- Online money transfer providers. Online money transfer companies tend to have lower fees and faster delivery times than banks.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. MoneyGram, Western Union and Ria all offer cash pickup for your recipient.
- PayPal. PayPal allows you to send international money transfers most anywhere in the world.
- Checks. International checks are a slow but reliable transfer method.
Case Study: Sam Sends Money to Morocco
Sam is spending two years in the United States for work. He has a wife and child in Morocco, so he wants to send them $1,000 transfers regularly to help them meet their ongoing expenses. Having discovered that there are far cheaper options available than sending a transfer via his bank, he compares two money transfer providers to see which one offers the most affordable service.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = $9.48 MAD||$1 USD = $9.52 MAD|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Processing time||Same or next working day||1 business day|
|Amount received (in MAD)||$9,480 MAD||$9,520 MAD|
As you can see, the second money transfer company provides a lower transaction fee and allows Sam to send an extra $40 MAD from the same amount of US dollars.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Banks are generally considered a secure, easy way to send money to another country. However, with the increase of money transfer companies, you have more options if you’re looking to send money to Morocco. There aren’t many options yet, but those that are available may offer better exchange rates and lower fees than banks, getting your recipient more money while costing you less.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate between USD and MAD determines how many dirhams you can send to Morocco per dollar. Because the USD is strong against the Moroccan dirham, you can expect to get quite a few dirhams for every dollar you transfer. This rate fluctuates daily based on a number of factors, including inflation, global economic stability and interest rates.
Emergency cash transfers in Morocco
You may be able to find a transfer company that can send money quickly to Morocco, but be warned: this process is usually much more costly, and you’ll generally be offered a much lower exchange rate than market value. If your recipient can wait a day or two, you’ll both benefit by being able to take advantage of better rates and lower fees.
Tips for picking up cash in Morocco
If you’re picking up cash from a transfer agent in Morocco, follow a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves:
- Avoid any high-crime areas and be aware of your personal safety at all times.
- Secure your wallet and/or bag at all times.
- Don’t advertise the fact that you have a just picked up a big wad of cash to anyone.
- Consider asking a friend to accompany you when you pick up the cash.
- Deposit large amounts into your bank account – don’t carry them around the street.
Read more on this topic
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to CurrencyFair Thinking of using CurrencyFair? Double check to make sure it’s the best option for you before sending money overseas.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. TorFX We look at TorFX and XE to see which will get you a better deal the next time you send money overseas.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert