We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to the Maldives
Wondering how to send money to the Maldives from the US? Here’s the information you need.
Why we like: WorldRemit
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare international money transfers to the Maldives
You may struggle to find a provider that will send rufiyaas from the US. Your best bet may be to make a same currency transfer in US Dollars, then convert your money with a local currency exchange after receiving it.
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers allow you to convert currencies and send money to someone overseas. The average transfer process involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider. It will then sends the money to your recipient in the Maldives.
Most transfers can be done in-person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can pay with cash, card or a direct debit from your bank account. The transfer will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account, mobile wallet or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
What are my options for transferring money to the Maldives?
Money transfer services
Few money transfer providers send money to the Maldives. MoneyGram and Western Union are two reliable services that are able to convert US dollars to rufiyaas. Both companies have years of experience in international money transfers and allow for various methods of sending money quickly.
US dollars in the Maldives
If you’re struggling to find a provider that will send rufiyaas, consider transferring US dollars. The US dollar is widely accepted as a form of payment, and by transferring US dollars, you won’t have to deal with an exchange rate.Back to top
Case Study: Hassan compared different money transfer companies to send money to the Maldives
Hassan is one of the 330 students from the Maldives that received a long-term scholarship to study in America. Hassan’s parents were unable to pay his school fees by the time he reached secondary school and took out several study loans to further fund his education. After completing his studies in the US, Hassan has since become a successful actuary.
He is now in a position where he can pay back the study loans for his parents. He compares different alternatives for sending money to his parents using the amount of $1,000 USD.
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 10.7227 MVR||1 USD = 10.639406 MVR|
|Amount received less the transfer fee||10,722.74 MVR||10,639.41 MVR|
|Transfer options||Phone, Online, Agent||Phone, Online, Agent|
Hassan decides to go with the first transfer company because it will give his parents more money to work with and he can handle the slightly higher fee.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to the Maldives?
- Exchange rates. Look for an exchange rate that’s close to market average when making an exchange. Exchange rates are set by the transfer provider, but vary day-to-day and between providers.
- Pickup methods. Can your recipient pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account? Choose a method that’s more convenient for the person receiving the money.
- Fees. Due to its limited accessibility in infrastructure and geography, international money transfer companies that send money to the Maldives usually require a higher fee for their service.
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch or by using a mobile app? The convenience of these options should impact your final choice.
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company? Will this affect the size of your transfer?
- Customer service. Is help available when you have a question regarding a transaction? Compare the availability of customer support options and hours.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates determine how much one country’s currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it with a weak currency. The exact amount you’ll receive when exchanging money depends on global economics, so monitoring rates will help you decide when to make a transfer.
Steps to send money to the Maldives
- Find a money transfer company from the table above.
- Visit the lender’s website when you’re ready to make a transfer.
- Create an account and begin a new transfer.
- Enter your recipient’s information and the amount you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Keep your tracking number and receipt.
Once you’ve finished your part of the transfer, wait for your recipient to confirm that they’ve received their funds. This will ensure that there were no problems during the transfer process.
Tips for picking up cash in the Maldives
The Maldives is classified as a safe destination for tourists, but political unrest since 2016 has seen an increase in petty crimes and violent protests. When you’re picking up cash in the Maldives, take a safety-first approach. Keep your cash hidden and deposit it with your bank as soon as possible. Take a friend along with you to collect the funds. Don’t walk around busy areas with lots of cash, and never take out a large amount of bills in public.
Same-day money transfers in the Maldives
It is possible to make a same-day money transfer to the Maldives by using a quick money transfer service like MoneyGram. However, the exchange rate you receive will likely be worse than one you might get if your transfer took more time, and you may have to pay more fees for the fast service. When you’re facing an emergency, a same-day transfer can be beneficial as long as you know the total cost you might have to pay.Back to top
Read more on this topic
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to CurrencyFair Thinking of using CurrencyFair? Double check to make sure it’s the best option for you before sending money overseas.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. TorFX We look at TorFX and XE to see which will get you a better deal the next time you send money overseas.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert