Wondering how to send money to the Maldives from the US? Here’s the information you need.
Why we like: WorldRemit
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers allow you to convert currencies and send money to someone overseas. The average transfer process involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider. It will then sends the money to your recipient in the Maldives.
Most transfers can be done in-person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can pay with cash, card or a direct debit from your bank account. The transfer will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account, mobile wallet or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
What are my options for transferring money to the Maldives?
Money transfer services
Few money transfer providers send money to the Maldives. MoneyGram and Western Union are two reliable services that are able to convert US dollars to rufiyaas. Both companies have years of experience in international money transfers and allow for various methods of sending money quickly.
US dollars in the Maldives
If you’re struggling to find a provider that will send rufiyaas, consider transferring US dollars. The US dollar is widely accepted as a form of payment, and by transferring US dollars, you won’t have to deal with an exchange rate.Back to top
Hassan compared different money transfer companies to send money to the Maldives
Hassan is one of the 330 students from the Maldives that received a long-term scholarship to study in America. Hassan’s parents were unable to pay his school fees by the time he reached secondary school and took out several study loans to further fund his education. After completing his studies in the US, Hassan has since become a successful actuary.
He is now in a position where he can pay back the study loans for his parents. He compares different alternatives for sending money to his parents using the amount of $1,000 USD.
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 10.7227 MVR||1 USD = 10.639406 MVR|
|Amount received less the transfer fee||10,722.74 MVR||10,639.41 MVR|
|Transfer options||Phone, Online, Agent||Phone, Online, Agent|
Hassan decides to go with the first transfer company because it will give his parents more money to work with and he can handle the slightly higher fee.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to the Maldives?
- Exchange rates. Look for an exchange rate that’s close to market average when making an exchange. Exchange rates are set by the transfer provider, but vary day-to-day and between providers.
- Pickup methods. Can your recipient pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account? Choose a method that’s more convenient for the person receiving the money.
- Fees. Due to its limited accessibility in infrastructure and geography, international money transfer companies that send money to the Maldives usually require a higher fee for their service.
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch or by using a mobile app? The convenience of these options should impact your final choice.
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company? Will this affect the size of your transfer?
- Customer service. Is help available when you have a question regarding a transaction? Compare the availability of customer support options and hours.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rates determine how much one country’s currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it with a weak currency. The exact amount you’ll receive when exchanging money depends on global economics, so monitoring rates will help you decide when to make a transfer.
Steps to send money to the Maldives
- Find a money transfer company from the table above.
- Visit the lender’s website when you’re ready to make a transfer.
- Create an account and begin a new transfer.
- Enter your recipient’s information and the amount you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Keep your tracking number and receipt.
Once you’ve finished your part of the transfer, wait for your recipient to confirm that they’ve received their funds. This will ensure that there were no problems during the transfer process.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in the Maldives
The Maldives is classified as a safe destination for tourists, but political unrest since 2016 has seen an increase in petty crimes and violent protests. When you’re picking up cash in the Maldives, take a safety-first approach. Keep your cash hidden and deposit it with your bank as soon as possible. Take a friend along with you to collect the funds. Don’t walk around busy areas with lots of cash, and never take out a large amount of bills in public.
Same-day money transfers in the Maldives
It is possible to make a same-day money transfer to the Maldives by using a quick money transfer service like MoneyGram. However, the exchange rate you receive will likely be worse than one you might get if your transfer took more time, and you may have to pay more fees for the fast service. When you’re facing an emergency, a same-day transfer can be beneficial as long as you know the total cost you might have to pay.