Take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Malaysia.
World First International Money Transfers
Most Convenient money transfers with excellent customer service. Send to 140+ currencies in 45 countries.
Special $0 fee offer for finder.com readers:
Because World First is a trusted partner of finder.com, you can send your money transfer overseas for free.
- Enjoy competitive exchange rates.
- Get even better exchange rates with forward contracts and limit orders.
- Receive weekly updates on market exchange rates.
Compare international money transfers to Malaysia
Select your currency and transfer amount, and compare the fees, rates and transfer times of different providers.
Sending money to Malaysia
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Malaysia. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
Banks versus money transfer services
We use our banks to take care of all our other financial needs, so surely we should use them when we need to send an international money transfer, right? Not necessarily. While major U.S. banks offer money transfer services, they usually present less competitive exchange rates coupled with high transfer fees.
You can often save money by using the services of a dedicated money transfer company. These providers specialize in handling overseas money transfers, offering attractive exchange rates and affordable transfer fees. This translates to big savings for you.
Case Study: Max Sends Money to Malaysia
Max wants to send $1,000 to his girlfriend in Malaysia as a gift to celebrate one year of a successful long-distance relationship. But when he sees the exchange rate offered by the major U.S. bank he has an accounts with, Max decides to compare two money transfer companies.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 4.12 MYR||1 USD = 4.30 MYR|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Cash pickup|
|Processing time||1 business day||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in MYR)||4,120 MYR||4,300 MYR|
As you can see, not only does the second company get Max’s money to Malaysia quicker and for only a slightly higher fee, but it also allows him to send an extra 180 MYR because of the better exchange rate.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Malaysia
- Exchange rates. How do each company’s exchange rates compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay to send the transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. Some companies will only offer online or in-branch transfers while others will also offer the option of placing transfers over the phone or using a mobile app.
- Turnaround time. Processing times can vary from a few minutes to several days, so check how long each provider will take to complete your transaction.
- Minimum amount. Is there a minimum transfer limit in place, and if so, is it likely to be higher than the amounts you will want to transfer?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. Does the company offer 24/7 customer support if you ever have a question or concern?
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. For example, in December 2016, the U.S dollar was worth approximately 19 Mexican pesos. However, most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Options for sending money to Malaysia from America
- Bank transfers. A transfer from your U.S. bank account to a Malaysian bank account is a secure and simple transfer option.
- Online money transfer providers. You can send fast and affordable transfers to Malaysia from your PC, tablet or smartphone.
- Checks. You can also obtain an international guaranteed check from your bank and mail it overseas.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash that can be picked up in person from branches throughout Malaysia.
- PayPal. PayPal offers secure and simple money transfers to Malaysia online.
Emergency cash transfers in Malaysia
Some companies will offer the option of sending instant transfers, which usually mean the funds will be available to your recipient within around 10 minutes. However, be aware of the fact that you’ll usually pay an extra fee for urgent transfers, and you may also need to settle for a lower exchange rate than is otherwise available. With this in mind, take care to closely check the fee and exchange rate that apply to your transaction so you can avoid any nasty surprises.Back to topBack to top
Tips for picking up cash in Malaysia
It always pays to exercise caution when picking up a sum of cash, so keep the following safety tips in mind in Malaysia:
- Be wary of thieves. Keep your wallet hidden and keep a firm hold of your bag at all times.
- There’s always safety in numbers, so ask a friend to come along with you when you pick up your funds.
- Avoid areas where crime is known to be a problem and take your funds to your bank as soon as possible.
- As a general rule, it’s always good to avoid carrying large sums of cash.