Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Madagascar
Learn how to send money to Madagascar with international money transfer companies.
Sending money has become easier over the years, but this means there are even more options to choose from when you need to make a transfer to friends or family in Madagascar. You can avoid large fees and bad exchange rates by comparing international money transfer companies. Our guide will help you learn how to find one that suits your needs.
Compare money transfer services for Madagascar
Best ways to send money to Madagascar
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Madagascar. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like XE and PayPal specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Madagascar. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Madagascar, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like WorldRemit and Remitly allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Madagascar— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Malagasy ariary may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Madagascar.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to MadagascarLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Madagascar. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of March 26, 2021.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$4||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 3,764.640 MGA||1 USD = 3,776.025 MGA||1 USD = 3,605.250 MGA|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Madagascar. A digital transfer sends the most, which is MGA$249,521 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Madagascar in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Madagascar online
Sign up and send money to Madagascar with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Madagascar.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Madagascar. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Madagascar
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Madagascar. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–MGA relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Malagasy ariary rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–MGA exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Malagasy ariarys you're sending to Madagascar.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Madagascar.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Madagascar or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
How to send money to Madagascar without a bank accountIf you don't have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up Malagasy ariarys without a bank account.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Madagascar quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Madagascar's exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Madagascar's currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-MGA relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to MGA
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Madagascar may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Madagascar
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Madagascar should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Madagascar:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Madagascar from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Madagascar.
Sending your hard-earned money to Madagascar shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Remittances weakened by a struggling US dollar
Understanding your money sending options can help you send the most money abroad while the dollar struggles.
Usend combines money transfers, bill pay and mobile phone reloading.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
Review: Boxypay international money transfers
Pairing international calls with money transfers makes Boxypay a unique choice.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers to Hong Kong
Sending a large money transfer to Hong Kong? Learn about laws and required documentation before you transfer.
HSBC Global Money account review
Manage your international finances with free transfers to HSBC customers.
Bellwether Smart Cash Card review
Earn flat 1.5% cashback on all purchases or save money with balance transfers.
Bellwether Smart Rewards Card review
Earn flat 1.5x points on everything you buy or save money with a balance transfer.
Ask an Expert