Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Macedonia
How to take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Macedonia.
If you need to exchange US dollars for Macedonian denars but don’t want to deal with the low rates offered by your bank, consider using an international money transfer company to send money to someone overseas. The process is relatively inexpensive, and you can compare your rates to find the best available deal.
Compare international money transfers to Macedonia
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best ways to send money to Macdeonia
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Macdeonia. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like XE and Remitly specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Macdeonia. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Macdeonia, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Macdeonia— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Macedonian denar may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Macdeonia.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to MacdeoniaLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Macdeonia. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates using today's rate of 1 USD = 0.000 MKD.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$2||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 0.000 MKD||1 USD = 0.000 MKD||1 USD = 0.000 MKD|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Macdeonia. A cash transfer sends the most, which is MKD$0 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Macdeonia in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Macdeonia online
Sign up and send money to Macdeonia with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Macdeonia.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Macdeonia. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Macdeonia
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Macdeonia. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–MKD relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Macedonian denar rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–MKD exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Macedonian denars you're sending to Macdeonia.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Macdeonia.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Macdeonia or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Macdeonia quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Macdeonia's exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Macdeonia's currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-MKD relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to MKD
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Macdeonia may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Macdeonia
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Macdeonia should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Macdeonia:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Macdeonia from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Macdeonia.
Sending your hard-earned money to Macdeonia shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Usend combines money transfers, bill pay and mobile phone reloading.
Review: Boxypay international money transfers
Pairing international calls with money transfers makes Boxypay a unique choice.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers to Hong Kong
Sending a large money transfer to Hong Kong? Learn about laws and required documentation before you transfer.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
Review: TransferMate for your international business transfer
TransferMate can help your business send money across the globe. Read our review to find out about exchange rates, fees and safety.
Alternatives to InstaReM
Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
XE vs. Western Union
We compare XE’s and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Ask an Expert