Finder may earn compensation from partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
Send money to Macau
We'll guide you through your international transfer for when you need to send money to Macau.
Understanding how to send money overseas is critical when you have a business opportunity or a family member in need. You might think the process is expensive, but with the right bank or money transfer company, you can find quick service and low rates that will help you send money to Macau or wherever you need it. Here’s how to compare options and find your best deal.
Compare money transfer services to Macau
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best ways to send money to Macau
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Macau. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like XE and Wise specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Macau. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Macau, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Macau— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Macanese pataca may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Macau.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to MacauLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Macau. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates using today's rate of 1 USD = 8.010 MOP.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$4||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 7.986 MOP||1 USD = 7.970 MOP||1 USD = 7.609 MOP|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Macau. A digital transfer sends the most, which is MOP$567 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Macau in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Macau online
Sign up and send money to Macau with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Macau.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Macau. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Macau
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Macau. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–MOP relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Macanese pataca rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–MOP exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Macanese patacas you're sending to Macau.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Macau.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Macau or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Macau quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Macau's exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Macau's currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-MOP relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to MOP
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Macau may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Macau
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Macau should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Macau:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Macau from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Macau.
Sending your hard-earned money to Macau shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Axos Invest Self-Directed Trading review
Features and fees to consider before you sign up for an Axos Invest account.
NBKC Bank Business Money Market account review
An account with minimal fees and multiple ways to access your money.
Progressive Snapshot review
Drivers who obey speed laws and drive fewer miles can save money with Progressive’s Snapshot
Better Visa Debit Card review
A debit card that helps protect you from medical debt but comes with a monthly subscription fee.
First Internet Bank Regular Savings account review
A savings account from an online-bank with a handsome 0.4% APY for balances $10 million and under.
Digit Checking account review
A bank account that intelligently divvies up your money where you need it for a monthly fee.
The best free debit cards for kids for 2021
A must-have for parents looking to teach their little ones healthy money habits early on.
Pen Air Savings account review
A savings account for children under 18 with financial bonuses for reaching savings goals.
Regions Savings for Minors review
This account has no fees and a low minimum deposit, but it earns little interest.
Chase Secure Banking℠ account review
A checking account with minimal fees but has an unavoidable monthly service charge.
Ask an Expert