This article contains links to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive a commission when you click or make a purchase using our site. Learn more about how we make money.
Send money to Macau
We'll guide you through your international transfer for when you need to send money to Macau.
Understanding how to send money overseas is critical when you have a business opportunity or a family member in need. You might think the process is expensive, but with the right bank or money transfer company, you can find quick service and low rates that will help you send money to Macau or wherever you need it. Here’s how to compare options and find your best deal.
Compare money transfer services to Macau
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Macau with our money transfer partners.
What's in this guide?
- Background information about Macau
- Compare money transfer services to Macau
- How to compare money transfer services
- How can you send and receive money between Macau and US?
- What steps will you need to follow to send money to Macau?
- Emergency cash transfers to Macau
- Tips for picking up cash in Macau
- Related Articles
How to compare money transfer services
- Exchange rates. Nearly every provider will want to make a profit from exchange rates. The rate you’re offered won’t be exactly the going rate, but it should be close—look at the differences between different companies and find one that most closely matches the mid-market value.
- Pickup methods. Depending on what your recipient needs, you should find a provider that offers cash pickup or electronic transfers. Many do both and allow you to select your preferred option.
- Fees. Fees are fairly simple to compare, but because of the location of Macau, they are generally higher than when transferring money to other countries. Research the fees of each provider before selecting your final option.
- Bank-to-bank benefits. There aren’t any notable banks that have branches in US and Macau for bank-to-bank transfer benefits, but Citibank does support MOP. It is advised that you visit a Citibank branch to confirm if you qualify for this feature.
- Turnaround time. Different providers have different turnaround times. If you need money sent quickly, a provider that takes only a few minutes to complete your transfer is best. If you have longer, a provider that takes two to four days will be a more affordable option.
- Payment options. Most providers have payment options that include single payments, regular payments and forwarded contracts.
- Minimum or maximum transfer amounts. Minimum transfer amounts range from $1 to $10, and maximums up to $10,000. When comparing, look out for limits on how much you can send per day or per week.
- Customer service. The transfer services should offer customer support by phone, email or online chat. If a provider doesn’t offer customer service, stay cautious.
Case Study: Kan makes a large business deal
Kan has a business opportunity in Macau purchasing specialty watches for his jewelry shop in the US. While meeting with representatives in Macau, Kan wants to transfer $10,000 for a large purchase. He compared the different money transfer services that will send money from the US to the merchant in Macau.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 8.05 MOP||1 USD = 8.03 MOP|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Processing time||3 business days||1-3 business days|
|Amount received (in MOP)||80,500 MOP||80,300 MOP|
Kan will have to pay a slightly higher fee for company 1, but it will be worth it to send an extra 200 MOP to his business associates in Macau.
How can you send and receive money between Macau and US?
- Money transfer service. Due to Macau’s geographical location, most companies do business with China and surrounding countries. Moneygram and Western Union will send money to Macau, but only Western Union sends it in the Macanese currency.
- Banks. Citibank supports the Macanese currency and will allow you to send money to Macau, but it will require you to visit a local branch to determine costs and rates. HSBC operates in the Hong Kong area and has branches in Macau. Visit a branch to see whether a money transfer is possible.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate determines how much one currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. A strong currency will yield more than a weak currency, though because of fluctuation in the global market, the exact amount changes daily. This can be caused by inflation, economic stability and interest rates around the world.
What steps will you need to follow to send money to Macau?
|Sending money to a bank account:||
|Sending money as a cash pickup:||
|Sending money through Moneygram or Western Union:||
Emergency cash transfers to Macau
Emergency cash transfers can be sent to Macau using Moneygram or Western Union. Both are reputable companies that transfer money within a couple of minutes. However, the speed of the transfer will impact the rate you receive and the fee you are charged, so consider this option carefully before you make your decision.
Tips for picking up cash in Macau
The Macau is located on the Eastern coast of China. Though it is classified as a relatively safe country for Americans, use caution when picking up cash from an agent location. Don’t advertise the fact that you have a wallet full of cash, and head to your bank as soon as possible to deposit your funds.
More guides on Finder
First Foundation Bank Online Savings Account review
No monthly fees and a competitive APY from this high-yield savings account.
Can I get a 12% interest savings account?
These international banks offer accounts with 12% APYs or higher, but watch out for risks.
Live Oak Bank Business Savings account review
This online-only business savings account lets you build your savings with a high APY and no fees.
Continental Bank High Yield Savings account review
This online savings account has no fees and earns 0.45% APY on your total balance.
HSBC Global Money account review
Manage your international finances with free transfers to HSBC customers.
Sites that sell secondhand clothing
From offering discounted designer brands to one-of-a-kind vintage apparel, secondhand clothing sites create the ultimate online shopping experience — and help the planet.
Bellwether Smart Cash Card review
Earn flat 1.5% cashback on all purchases or save money with balance transfers.
Bellwether Smart Rewards Card review
Earn flat 1.5x points on everything you buy or save money with a balance transfer.
Axos Bank High Yield Savings account review
Earn 0.81% APY regardless of your account balance, but watch out for overdraft fees.
Use this crypto-enabled prepaid card to spend, save or exchange in digital and traditional currencies.
Ask an Expert