Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Lesotho
Here's how you can make safe, secure and affordable money transfers to Lesotho.
Send money to Lesotho with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Send to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up.
- Use promo code 3FREE to send your first three transfers with no fee.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare international money transfers to Lesotho
Use our interactive table to compare transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Lesotho with a money transfer service.
What's in this guide?
Banks vs. money transfer services
If you’re thinking about sending money to Lesotho through your local bank, think again. While it can easily send international wire transfers all around the world, you’ll pay a high transfer fee of up to $75 for the privilege. Banks also typically offer dismal exchange rates on all international transfers.
Do your wallet a favor by considering the services of a specialist money transfer company. These companies don’t spread themselves across a wide range of products and services like the banks. Instead, they specialize in sending money internationally and can therefore offer far superior exchange rates. With their secure transfers also come lower transfer fees, allowing you and your recipient to enjoy a better financial deal.
Case Study: Blessing sends money to Lesotho
Blessing is spending two years studying and working in the United States. She wants to send part of the money she has saved back home to her parents in Lesotho, but when she sees that the weak exchange rate offered by her bank will eat a big chunk of her $1,000 transfer, she approaches two money transfer companies to see if they can offer a better deal.
|Money Transfer Company A
||Money Transfer Company B
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 13.28 LSL||1 USD = 13.17 LSL|
|Transfer speed||1 hour||10 minutes|
||Cash pickup||Cash pickup|
|Total LSL received
||13,280 LSL||13,170 LSL|
Blessing discovers that she can send an extra 110 Lesotho loti and also save $9 in transfer fees by using Money Transfer Company A.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Lesotho
When you’re stuck between two or three companies, it can be good to take a step back and decide which factors mean the most to you.
- Exchange rates. Nearly every provider skews exchange rates for profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the market rate and make sure there’s no huge difference.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Transfer methods. Different companies have different transfer methods. Some allow you to fill out an online application while others need you to come into the store. Find one that works for you.
- Bonus features. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Transfer speed. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you’ve got more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate, especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are a flexible number that fluctuate depending on the global market. This is how companies calculate how much one country’s currency is worth in another. The US dollar (USD) is traditionally much stronger than the Lesotho loti (LSL). This means for every one dollar you send to Lesotho, your recipient will receive nearly 12 loti in return.
Ways to send money from the US to Lesotho
- Bank transfers. Transfers between banks are a secure but expensive transfer method.
- Money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to Lesotho from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of cash pickups from thousands of agent locations across Lesotho.
- M-Pesa. M-Pesa is a safe, secure way to send, receive and store money through your mobile phone or an app. Top up your account at one of more than 287,000 agent locations and then send money to loved ones, who can visit an agent to withdraw their funds.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
Emergency cash transfers to Lesotho
Emergencies happen all the time, and though they’re unavoidable, there are ways for you to transfer money quickly to Lesotho whenever you need it. However, this will yield a poor exchange rate and hefty fees, so it’s best to choose a normal transfer unless you have no other options.
Tips for picking up cash in Lesotho
When picking up cash in Lesotho, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target of theft.
- Call ahead. Tell the company you’re planning on visiting and ask for their hours. Visiting during daylight is best.
- Bring a friend. Ask a friend to come along when you’re picking up large amounts of cash.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money on your person before leaving the office. Having too much money visible can attract unwanted attention.
More guides on Finder
Blind cleaning services
Learn how blind cleaning services can help prolong the life of your blinds and eliminate bacteria and viruses both at home and in the office.
First Foundation Bank Online Savings Account review
No monthly fees and a competitive APY from this high-yield savings account.
Netspend Small Business Prepaid card review
This business account supports in-person payments and lets you manage employee spending.
Can I get a 12% interest savings account?
These international banks offer accounts with 12% APYs or higher, but watch out for risks.
Save Market Savings account Review
With this savings account, you can invest your interest in the stock market for an average 3.13% return. Learn more here.
Features and drawbacks to consider before you open a Coro account.
Live Oak Bank Business Savings account review
This online-only business savings account lets you build your savings with a high APY and no fees.
Passbook account review
Passbook accounts help immigrants in the US manage their money without paying bank fees.
RSI Bank Go Digital! Savings review
RSI’s Go Digital savings account offers a decent APY, but is it right for you?
NBKC Business Checking Review
Open a business checking account and enjoy no transaction or maintenance fees.
Ask an Expert