Find the lowest fees and best exchange rates when sending money to Kyrgyzstan
Compare international money transfers to Kyrgyzstan
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Kyrgyzstan with our money transfer partners.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Before you consider using your bank for an international money transfer, compare the rates and fees. Banks often offer poor exchange rates and charge high fees for overseas transfers, so even a small transfer can end up costing more than it should.
Consider online money transfer companies like World First, Ria or MoneyGram. They usually offer fast and affordable transfers to countries worldwide.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Kyrgyzstan
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Search and make sure the rate you’re being offered reflects the going market rate offered by other services and banks.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive their funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet or any other program they might use.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate, especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
Kevin sends money to KyrgyzstanKevin’s son Tom is traveling in Kyrgyzstan for a month, but due to his lack of research, he doesn’t have enough soms to cover his daily expenses. Kevin agrees to send him $1,000 and compares the services of two money transfer companies that provide fast transfers and cash pickup options.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||US dollars||US dollars|
|Transfer speed||In minutes||1 hour|
|Transfer option||Cash pickup||Cash pickup|
|Total USD received||$1000||$1000|
Unfortunately, there aren’t many companies that exchange dollars for soms. Because Kevin needs a quick transfer, he finds a company that allows for next-day pickup. Kevin decides to go with Company 1 even though it has a higher fee because his son needs the money as soon as possible.
How to send money to Kyrgyzstan
Whether you send money through your bank, a money transfer provider or any other option, you’ll need to first register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
Keep a record of any transaction reference number you receive so that you can review the progress of your transfer.Back to top
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate is how banks and companies calculate how much one currency is worth when compared to the currency of another. The US dollar (USD) has traditionally been stronger than the Kyrgyz som (KGS). This means that your dollar will be worth multiple soms. In January 2018, that amount was about 68.38 soms per dollar sent. When sending money to someone in Kyrgyzstan, track the fluctuations in exchange rate to be sure you’re getting the best deal available.
What are the ways that I can send money to Kyrgyzstan
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks will allow you to send money to Kyrgyzstan.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and World First can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from the US to Kyrgyzstan.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
Are money transfers safe?
Yes. When you use a reputable provider, your funds are tracked until your recipient receives them. There are federal protections in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer before it is picked up by your recipient or deposited into their bank account.Back to top
Emergency cash transfers in the Kyrgyz Republic
If you find yourself in an emergency situation where you need to send an urgent cash transfer to Kyrgyzstan— maybe your son or daughter is traveling through the country and has been mugged — there are several companies that offer this service. Be be aware that often the quickest method is the most expensive. Be sure to check the exchange rate and fee that apply to your transaction before handing over your cash.
Emergency situations come up all the time, and a friend or family member might need a quick transfer made to solve a potential problem before it grows. There are exchange services that offer same-day transfers. However, these companies will take advantage of your need for urgency by charging you higher fees and offering you a less optimal exchange rate. While you can perform an emergency transfer to Kyrgyzstan, this should be used as a last resort. If your recipient can wait a few days, you’ll save money and they will receive more soms.
Tips for picking up cash in the Kyrgyzstan
Take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying a large amount of money alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
You have multiple options to choose from when sending money to Kyrgyzstan from the United States. To get the best value for money for your international money transfer, compare the benefits and features of competing services before selecting a provider.