The best ways to send money from the US to Kiribati.
TransferWise international money transfers
When you need to send money overseas, benefit from competitive exchange rates and low transfer fees with TransferWise.
- Fair service fees and mid-market rates — a major market differentiator.
- Next-day delivery to your loved ones and businesses.
- Trusted the world over, with five-star ratings on Trustpilot.
Compare international money transfers to Kiribati
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Kiribati with our money transfer partners
Banks vs money transfer companies
Banks offer some of the worst exchange rates available on the market, and also charge high transfer fees, so you can find much cheaper transfers if you look elsewhere.
Recent years have seen the rapid growth of a new section of the banking and finance industry: online money transfer companies. These providers, such as OFX and World First, specialize in international money transfers. They offer superior exchange rates and lower transaction fees than the banks, allowing you to enjoy big savings when you send money overseas.
Case study: Keith sends money to Kiribati
Keith wants to send $1,000 to his daughter Leah, who is spending a month volunteering in Kiribati. Leah has blown her budget just two weeks into her trip, so Keith promises to send her some cash as quickly as possible. In an effort to find the best possible deal, he compares the transfer fees and processing times of two specialist transfer companies.
As the table below shows, using the second company allows Keith to save $7 in transfer fees.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Transfer method||Online bank account transfer||Online bank account transfer|
|Processing time||1–3 days||1–3 days|
|Amount received in AUD||$1,000||$1,000|
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money to Kiribati?
- Exchange rates. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer methods. Can you lodge transfers online or over the phone? Does the provider have branches where you can place transfer requests?
- Transfer options. Keep an eye out for companies that offer the convenience and flexibility of options such as forward contracts, limit orders and the ability to set up recurring payment plans.
- Minimum and maximum limits. If the provider imposes minimum or maximum limits on transfers, check to see whether they will be too restricting for your transfer requirements.
- Processing times. Some companies offer transfers within a few minutes while others can take multiple business days to process a transaction.
- Pickup options. Will the funds be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available for collection from a cash pickup point?
- Customer service. Will you be able to access customer assistance if you ever need help with a transfer?
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. For example, in January 2018 the US dollar was worth approximately 1.30 Australian dollars.
However, most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means they can fluctuate with the market. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Live USD-AUD exchange rate
What ways can I send money to Kiribati from the US?
- Specialist transfer providers. Research several providers to see which ones offer transfers between the US and Kiribati.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union runs the largest cash pickup transfer network in the world.
- Bank transfers. Check the transaction fee your bank charges each time you send a transfer.
- International checks. Sending an international guaranteed check is a slow and potentially expensive option.
How do I send money to Kiribati?
In general, to initiate an international money transfer, you’ll need to provide:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Government-issued ID, such as your driver’s license or passport.
- Your recipient’s full name and contact information.
- How you’re sending the money, whether for cash pickup at an agent location or for deposit to your recipient’s bank account.
- If a bank transfer, your recipient’s bank name, routing and account numbers and SWIFT code.
- Accepted method of payment.
How do I receive money from Kiribati in the US?
- Specialist transfer providers. Compare your options to see if there are any specialist transfer providers that send money from Kiribati to the US.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Search online to find the Western Union location closest to you.
- Bank transfers. Your loved one in Kiribati could send a transfer from their bank account to your US account.
- International checks. Check what fees your bank charges when you cash international checks.
Emergency cash transfers in Kiribati
When you need to get money from the US to Kiribati as quickly as possible, companies such as Western Union can offer cash transfers within minutes. However, you should be aware that urgent transfers tend to attract higher fees and sometimes lower exchange rates, so it’s important to check the full cost of your transfer before you hand over any money.
Find a money transfer location near you
Tips for picking up cash in Kiribati
Picking up cash from a transfer provider can make you a target for thieves, so keep a few simple safety tips in mind when collecting funds:
- Don’t go alone — ask a friend to join you.
- Don’t pick up cash in any area where you don’t feel safe.
- Don’t display your cash in public.
- Don’t carry funds around with you for any longer than you need to — deposit them in a safe place.