We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Kiribati
The best ways to send money from the US to Kiribati.
TransferWise international money transfers
When you need to send money overseas, benefit from competitive exchange rates and low transfer fees with TransferWise.
- Fair service fees and mid-market rates — a major market differentiator.
- Next-day delivery to your loved ones and businesses.
- Trusted the world over, with five-star ratings on Trustpilot.
Compare international money transfers to Kiribati
Banks vs money transfer companies
While your bank may be your first choice when it comes to making money transfers, it may not be the best choice. Banks often charge high fees and offer low exchange rates, making them a poor choice when you’re looking to send money to Kiribati.
Money transfer companies, on the other hand, offer much better deals for most people. Fees tend to be lower, exchange rates more favorable and transfer times faster. You can find multiple companies that will convert Australian dollars at good rates, so take the time to compare your options and find one that offers you the best deal.
Keith sends money to Kiribati
Keith wants to send $1,000 to his daughter Leah, who is spending a month volunteering in Kiribati. Leah has blown her budget just two weeks into her trip, so Keith promises to send her some cash as quickly as possible. In an effort to find the best possible deal, he compares the transfer fees and processing times of two specialist transfer companies.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 1.35 AUD||1 USD = 1.37 AUD|
|Transfer method||Online bank account transfer||Online bank account transfer|
|Processing time||1 to 3 days||1 to 3 days|
|Amount received in AUD||$1,350||$1,370|
Since Kiribati accepts Australian dollars, it’s easier for Keith to send money to Leah by using a more widely-traded currency. By choosing the second transfer company, he’ll be able to send an extra $20, which makes the slightly higher transfer fee worth it.
What ways can I send money to Kiribati from the US?
- Specialist transfer providers. There are several providers that make USD-AUD transfers, but make sure that you check and see if it will send Australian dollars to a recipient in Kiribati.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Cash pickup allows your recipient to quickly collect cash from one of many agent locations. However, they do run the risk of being stolen from if you send a large amount of money.
- Bank transfers. Bank-to-bank transfers to Kiribati may be possible, but you will likely face high fees and a less optimal exchange rate.
- International checks. Sending an international guaranteed check is a slow and potentially expensive option, but it is a common option.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is the amount you’ll get when you trade one currency for another. The Kiribati dollar is pegged to the Australian dollar, which means these are of equal value. So when you’re sending money to Kiribati, you’ll only need to calculate the exchange rate between USD and AUD. This amount can fluctuate, so it pays to keep tabs on it and send money when your US dollars will yield more Australian dollars.
How do I send money to Kiribati?
- Pick a provider from the table above by comparing exchange rates and fees.
- Create an account with the provider by entering your personal information.
- Start a transaction, enter your recipient’s information and select how much you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer and save the tracking number.
Same-day transfers to Kiribati
There are companies that allow you to send money to Kiribati quickly without charing exorbitant fees. Companies like WorldRemit offer quick transfers that won’t break the bank, and you may even be able to score a decent exchange rate. However, take a little extra time to compare your options and find a provider that meets all your criteria. Don’t let a rush stop you from getting a good deal.
Tips for picking up cash in Kiribati
Picking up cash from a transfer provider can make you a target for thieves, so keep a few simple safety tips in mind when collecting funds:
- Don’t go alone — ask a friend to join you.
- Don’t pick up cash in any area where you don’t feel safe.
- Don’t display your cash in public.
- Don’t carry funds around with you for any longer than you need to.
Kiribati may be a small country, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have options when you want to send money to a loved one. Because it uses the Australian dollar, you’ll have multiple choices when it comes to comparing rates and fees. And if you’re not quite sure how the process works, our in-depth guide on money transfers should help you navigate the details.Back to top
Ask an Expert