This article contains links to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive a commission when you click or make a purchase using our site. Learn more about how we make money.
Send money to Jordan
Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to Jordan.
Send money to Jordan with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Send to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare money transfer services to Jordan
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Jordan with our money transfer partners.
What's in this guide?
Banks versus money transfer companies
Before you consider using your bank for an international money transfer to Jordan, compare the rates and fees. Banks often offer poor exchange rates and charge high fees for overseas transfers, so even a small transfer can end up costing more than it should.
Consider online money transfer companies like Ria and MoneyGram. They usually offer fast, fair and affordable transfers to Jordan, and countries world wide.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Jordan
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Jordan’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Case study: Jenny sends money to Jordan
Jenny’s sister Renata is stranded in Jordan with barely $40 to her name. Never one for planning ahead, Renata has run out of money with one week still remaining on her vacation to the Middle East, so she asks her sister to send her $1,000 as quickly as possible. Jenny compares the services of two cash pickup transfer company to see which one offers the better deal.
|Online money transfer provider 1||Online money transfer provider 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 0.6897 JOD||1 USD = 0.7019 JOD|
|Transfer option||Cash pick up||Cash pickup|
|Transfer speed||15 minutes||10 minutes|
|Total JOD received||689.70||701.91|
Online provider two offers a better exchange rate, in about the same amount of time. But comparing the transfer fee, transfer company clearly wins, saving you $66 on the transfer.
Steps to send money to Jordan
- Register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
- Supply your recipient’s name, contact information and bank account details as required.
- Enter the amount of your transfer and complete the transaction.
- Keep track of any receipt you receive so you can monitor the progress of your transfer.
How safe is a money transfer?
When you use a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. There are federal protections in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
What are the ways that I can send money to Jordan
- Bank transfers. Many major US banks will allow you to send money to Jordan.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from the US to Jordan.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
Emergency cash transfers in Jordan
If you need to send money to Jordan as quickly as possible — maybe you need to help a relative settle an overdue debt — there are several companies that offer emergency cash transfers. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
Picking up cash in Jordan
Whether picking up funds in Amman or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
More guides on Finder
Keeper Tax review
Maximize your tax savings by having this 1099 expense tracker categorize business purchases for you.
First Foundation Bank Online Savings Account review
No monthly fees and a competitive APY from this high-yield savings account.
TAB Bank High-Yield Savings account review
TAB Bank’s high-yield savings account has a competitive APY, but it’s probably best for truckers.
Netspend Small Business Prepaid card review
This business account supports in-person payments and lets you manage employee spending.
Can I get a 5% interest savings account in 2020?
You can find a 5% interest savings account in 2020. But find out if it’s worth it here.
Morton Community Bank loans review
Also known as Hometown Community Bank, this Illinois lender offers programs tailored to local businesses.
Douugh banking review
The Douugh banking app uses AI to optimize your finances, but it lacks key features.
Can I get a 12% interest savings account?
These international banks offer accounts with 12% APYs or higher, but watch out for risks.
Live Oak Bank Business Savings account review
This online-only business savings account lets you build your savings with a high APY and no fees.
Passbook account review
Passbook accounts help immigrants in the US manage their money without paying bank fees.
Ask an Expert