Online money transfer companies are your cheapest option to send money to Gabon, but cash delivery can have your money there in a few hours. Getting the most Central African XAF franc for your US dollars doesn’t have to be expensive, so keep the process simple by comparing your money transfer options.
Compare transfer providers
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Best ways to send money to Gabon
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Gabon. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others transfer to bank accounts.
1. Digital money transfer servicesCompanies like Remitly and XE specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective ways to send money to Gabon. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient's bank account in Gabon, often in as little as a day or two.
- Why? Digital money transfer services are cheaper because they exist online and don't have as many employees or physical locations.
2. Cash transfersServices like MoneyGram and WorldRemit allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Gabon— often in 15 minutes. While it's a fast way to send money, you'll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
- Why? Picking up cash is more expensive because more people are involved.
3. BanksThe Central African CFA franc may be offered by your bank, but beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate. Compare bank transfers to digital services and other options before sending a wire transfer to Gabon.
- Why? Banks offer money transfers as a secondary service so don't strive to offer competitive prices.
Let's crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to GabonLet's say you need to send $1,000 to family in Gabon. Here's what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates using today's rate of 1 USD = 563.430 XAF.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$0||$4||$25 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 561.740 XAF||1 USD = 560.613 XAF||1 USD = 535.259 XAF|
|Transfer speed||1-2 days||Minutes||2-5 days|
The bank option ends up being the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Gabon. A digital transfer sends the most, which is XAF$39,863 more than the bank. For speed, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Gabon in as little as 15 minutes. Make sure there's a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Gabon online
Sign up and send money to Gabon with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Compare and pick a provider before signing up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient's contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you'll need their bank account details in Gabon.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt's confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Gabon. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
Get the most out of your money transfer to Gabon
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to best compare money transfer providers that send to Gabon. Consider:
- Exchange rates. The USD–XAF relationship fluctuates, so using a service that allows you to lock in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Central African CFA franc rises against the US dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD–XAF exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of Central African CFA francs you're sending to Gabon.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Gabon.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you're sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a bank account in Gabon or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transferWhen urgency trumps cost to get your money to Gabon quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
Gabon's exchange rates explained
Banks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much Gabon's currency is worth when converted to USD. The USD-XAF relationship can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates, inflation and more.Today's exchange rate USD to XAF
What to watch out for
Sending money to relatives or family members in Gabon may be subject to taxes on the money transfer and certain documents may be required.
Taxes on transfers to Gabon
In general, any large transfers being sent from the US to Gabon should be filed with the IRS to avoid any penalties.
Receiving money in Gabon:
- Transfer confirmation details like a transfer number, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID like a passport or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Sender's information. Take along your sender's full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending to Gabon from the US:
- Proof of identification like a government-issued ID or your SSN number.
- Recipient information like their name, address and bank account information in Gabon.
Sending your hard-earned money to Gabon shouldn't cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country-specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Usend combines money transfers, bill pay and mobile phone reloading.
Review: Boxypay international money transfers
Pairing international calls with money transfers makes Boxypay a unique choice.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers to Hong Kong
Sending a large money transfer to Hong Kong? Learn about laws and required documentation before you transfer.
Bellwether Smart Rewards Card review
Earn flat 1.5x points on everything you buy or save money with a balance transfer.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
WorldRemit gearing up to acquire Sendwave
Money transfer provider Sendwave may soon be acquired by WorldRemit. Here’s what we know so far.
Venmo vs. PayPal
Looking to send money? See which of these two options works better for you.