Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to send money to Ecuador
Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to Ecuador.
Send money to Ecuador with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Send to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up.
- Use promo code 3FREE to get three free transfers.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare international money transfers to Ecuador
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Ecuador. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Kevin has traveled to the U.S. from Ecuador to learn from international level companies. He has been employed by an IT business in Boston, and he would like to send some money home to his parents so they can make his student loan payments to the local bank in their hometown, Quito.
He made a couple of calculations using $1,000 and drew a general comparison table (see below) to see what it would cost him to send money to Ecuador if he used a bank compared to a money transfer company. Because he is sending U.S. dollars, there is no exchange rate. So he pays close attention to any fees and the transfer time.
|Money Transfer Company||Bank|
|Transfer Fee||$35 (average)||$60-$80 (dependent on online or branch transaction and may include charges from receiving parties)|
|Transfer Time||Within minutes||2-5 working days|
|Transfer Options||Cash pickup||Bank Account|
Kevin realizes he can get the money to his parents quicker and save up to $45 in fees if he uses the money transfer company.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Ecuador
When comparing your options, pay attention to these factors:
- Fees. How much will you have to pay to send the transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch and/or by using a mobile app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments, or does the company only provide one-off spot orders?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company, and will this affect the size of your transfers?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. What sort of customer support is offered and during what hours can you receive assistance?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. When the former Ecuadorian currency lost 67% of its foreign exchange value in 1999, the country adopted the US dollar as its currency. As a result, the exchange rate between the United States and Ecuador is always one-to-one.
What are my options for sending money to Ecuador?
- Bank transfers. Bank-to-bank transfers may cost more than other options but they are a secure way to send money to Ecuador.
- Online money transfer providers. A reliable online money transfer company can offer fast and cost-effective transactions.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. MoneyGram and Western Union are the world’s two largest providers of this service.
- PayPal. PayPal offers secure international money transfers to many destinations around the world.
- Checks. International checks can be obtained from U.S. banks and then sent overseas.
Same-day transfers to Ecuador
There are certain situations when you might need to send a transfer as quickly as possible. When you do need to send an emergency transfer, remember that you will usually have to pay extra in order to get your funds to your beneficiary ASAP. Make sure to check the exchange rate and fees that apply so you know exactly how much it will cost.
Steps to send money to Ecuador
- Register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
- Supply your recipient’s name, contact information and bank account details as required.
- Enter the amount of your transfer and complete the transaction.
- Keep track of any receipt you receive so you can monitor the progress of your transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in Ecuador
Picking up cash from a transfer agent in Ecuador? Follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Read more on this topic
US remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Best ways to send money online Navigate the world of sending money domestically and internationally with our hand-picked list of popular services.
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert