Find an affordable, convenient, safe way to send money to Denmark from the U.S.
When you need to get money to a loved one overseas, the last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating a potentially complicated and expensive process. Sending money from the United States to Denmark doesn’t have to be expensive. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the options available to you to get the most Danish krones for your dollar.
Read on to find out how you can send a secure and affordable international money transfer to Denmark.
Compare International Money Transfers
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Denmark. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Any major bank will be able to send an international wire transfer to Denmark and plenty of other countries around the world. The problem, however, is that they will most likely charge you a high fee for doing so and will also offer you a pretty poor exchange rate.
So instead of approaching your bank to send money to Denmark, consider the services of a specialist money transfer company. These companies offer better exchange rates and minimal fees on transfers, allowing you to enjoy big savings while still providing quick and secure transactions. Search finder.com to find a reputable money transfer company and compare the cost of sending money among a range of providers.Back to top
Fredrik grew up in Denmark but now lives in California, and he wants to send his parents $1,000 to help celebrate their wedding anniversary. Rather than sending the funds via his bank and paying their $70 wire transfer fee, he decides to look at the fees and exchange rates offered at two online money transfer companies.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 6.533 DKK||1 USD = 6.610|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Processing time||3 business days||1 business day|
|Amount received (in DKK)||6,533 DKK||6,610 DKK|
As you can see, Fredrik’s parents will receive 77 DKK more if he uses the second company, plus he’ll save $5 in transfer fees.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Denmark
- Exchange rates. How do each provider’s exchange rates stack up against the competition?
- Fees. How much will you need to pay for each transfer, and can you avoid fees if you send a large amount?
- Transfer methods. What methods are available for making transfers: online, via a mobile app, over the phone and/or by visiting a branch?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. How long will it take for your funds to arrive at their destination: a few minutes, 24 hours, or several days?
- Minimum limit. Is there a high minimum transfer limit imposed on all transactions?
- Pickup methods. How will your recipient access the funds: cash pickup or from their bank account?
- Customer service. Are phone and email support offered and during what hours? Is there an online help center and a live chat option?
Options for sending money to Denmark from America
- Bank transfers. Transferring funds from a U.S. bank account to a Danish bank account is a simple but potentially expensive option.
- Online money transfer providers. WorldRemit and OFX are two providers that offer this service.
- PayPal. PayPal can send international money transfers to Denmark online.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram both offer this service.
- Checks. Mail an international guaranteed check after obtaining it from your bank.
How to send money to Denmark
Although the process for sending money to Denmark differs between money transfer companies, it’s quite simple and straightforward. The first step is to provide your name, address and contact information, along with a photo.
Next, you’ll need to provide some information about your beneficiary, such as their name, address and how they can be contacted. Details of the amount you’re sending, in what currency and where to send it will also be required.
The final step in the process is to pay for your transfer and hold onto any tracking number you receive to monitor the status of your transaction.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Denmark
- Be careful — stay aware of your surroundings and your personal safety at all times.
- Don’t visit a transfer agent in an area where you do not feel safe.
- If possible, ask a friend to accompany you when you collect the cash.
- Don’t publicisz the fact that you have just picked up a large amount of money.
- Don’t carry large sums of money on your person — deposit it in your bank account as soon as you can.