We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Denmark
Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to Denmark.
Our pick: OFX International Money Transfers
OFX offers flexible transfer options, 24/7 customer support and no maximum limit. Send a minimum of $1,000 per year.
- $0 transfer fees. Send fee-free transfers to over 195 countries worldwide.
- Transfers in 55 currencies. OFX supports major, minor and exotic currencies.
- Flexible options. Choose from forward contracts to scheduled transfers for convenience and flexibility.
Compare international money transfer services to Denmark
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Denmark. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
Banks vs. money transfer companies
Any major bank will be able to send an international wire transfer to Denmark and plenty of other countries around the world. The problem, however, is that they will most likely charge you a high fee for doing so and will also offer you a pretty poor exchange rate.
So instead of approaching your bank to send money to Denmark, consider the services of a specialist money transfer company. These companies offer better exchange rates and minimal fees on transfers, allowing you to enjoy big savings while still providing quick and secure transactions. Search finder.com to find a reputable money transfer company and compare the cost of sending money among a range of providers.
Case Study: Fredrik Sends Money to Denmark
Fredrik grew up in Denmark but now lives in California, and he wants to send his parents $1,000 to help celebrate their wedding anniversary. Rather than sending the funds via his bank and paying their $70 wire transfer fee, he decides to look at the fees and exchange rates offered at two online money transfer companies.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 6.533 DKK||1 USD = 6.610|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Processing time||3 business days||1 business day|
|Amount received (in DKK)||6,533 DKK||6,610 DKK|
As you can see, Fredrik’s parents will receive 77 DKK more if he uses the second company, plus he’ll save $5 in transfer fees.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Denmark
- Exchange rates. How do each provider’s exchange rates stack up against the competition?
- Fees. How much will you need to pay for each transfer, and can you avoid fees if you send a large amount?
- Transfer methods. What methods are available for making transfers: online, via a mobile app, over the phone and/or by visiting a branch?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. How long will it take for your funds to arrive at their destination: a few minutes, 24 hours, or several days?
- Minimum limit. Is there a high minimum transfer limit imposed on all transactions?
- Pickup methods. How will your recipient access the funds: cash pickup or from their bank account?
- Customer service. Are phone and email support offered and during what hours? Is there an online help center and a live chat option?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Although part of the eurozone, Denmark continues to use the krone as its currency. Denmark’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment based on factors like interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Currency exchange rate for Denmark
Options for sending money to Denmark from America
- Bank transfers. Transferring funds from a U.S. bank account to a Danish bank account is a simple but potentially expensive option.
- Online money transfer providers. WorldRemit and OFX are two providers that offer this service.
- PayPal. PayPal can send international money transfers to Denmark online.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram both offer this service.
- Checks. Mail an international guaranteed check after obtaining it from your bank.
Steps to send money to Denmark
- Choose a transfer provider who sends money to Denmark.
- Register with the provider and supply your name, address, contact information, date of birth and proof of ID.
- Provide your recipient’s name, address and contact details. For some transfers you have to supply their bank account information as well.
- Enter the amount you want to send. Complete your transaction and save your tracking or receipt number to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in Denmark
- Be careful — stay aware of your surroundings and your personal safety at all times.
- Don’t visit a transfer agent in an area where you do not feel safe.
- If possible, ask a friend to accompany you when you collect the cash.
- Don’t publicisz the fact that you have just picked up a large amount of money.
- Don’t carry large sums of money on your person — deposit it in your bank account as soon as you can.
Read more on this topic
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to CurrencyFair Thinking of using CurrencyFair? Double check to make sure it’s the best option for you before sending money overseas.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. TorFX We look at TorFX and XE to see which will get you a better deal the next time you send money overseas.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert