Our pick for large transfers: CurrencyTransfer
Get the best foreign exchange rates available from this online marketplace.
- Exclusive to Finder readers: Minimum transfer of $1,000 (normally $5,000).
- Fast 1-2 day delivery to bank accounts.
- No fees.
- Globally trusted brand.
- CurrencyTransfer reimburses you the difference if you get a better rate somewhere else.
Compare international money transfer services to Denmark
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Denmark. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.Back to top
Banks vs. money transfer companies
Any major bank will be able to send an international wire transfer to Denmark and plenty of other countries around the world. The problem, however, is that they will most likely charge you a high fee for doing so and will also offer you a pretty poor exchange rate.
So instead of approaching your bank to send money to Denmark, consider the services of a specialist money transfer company. These companies offer better exchange rates and minimal fees on transfers, allowing you to enjoy big savings while still providing quick and secure transactions. Search finder.com to find a reputable money transfer company and compare the cost of sending money among a range of providers.Back to top
Case Study: Fredrik Sends Money to DenmarkFredrik grew up in Denmark but now lives in California, and he wants to send his parents $1,000 to help celebrate their wedding anniversary. Rather than sending the funds via his bank and paying their $70 wire transfer fee, he decides to look at the fees and exchange rates offered at two online money transfer companies.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 6.533 DKK||1 USD = 6.610|
|Transfer method||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Processing time||3 business days||1 business day|
|Amount received (in DKK)||6,533 DKK||6,610 DKK|
As you can see, Fredrik’s parents will receive 77 DKK more if he uses the second company, plus he’ll save $5 in transfer fees.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Denmark
- Exchange rates. How do each provider’s exchange rates stack up against the competition?
- Fees. How much will you need to pay for each transfer, and can you avoid fees if you send a large amount?
- Transfer methods. What methods are available for making transfers: online, via a mobile app, over the phone and/or by visiting a branch?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. How long will it take for your funds to arrive at their destination: a few minutes, 24 hours, or several days?
- Minimum limit. Is there a high minimum transfer limit imposed on all transactions?
- Pickup methods. How will your recipient access the funds: cash pickup or from their bank account?
- Customer service. Are phone and email support offered and during what hours? Is there an online help center and a live chat option?
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Although part of the eurozone, Denmark continues to use the krone as its currency. Denmark’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment based on factors like interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Currency exchange rate for Denmark
Options for sending money to Denmark from America
- Bank transfers. Transferring funds from a U.S. bank account to a Danish bank account is a simple but potentially expensive option.
- Online money transfer providers. WorldRemit and OFX are two providers that offer this service.
- PayPal. PayPal can send international money transfers to Denmark online.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram both offer this service.
- Checks. Mail an international guaranteed check after obtaining it from your bank.
Steps to send money to Denmark
- Choose a transfer provider who sends money to Denmark.
- Register with the provider and supply your name, address, contact information, date of birth and proof of ID.
- Provide your recipient’s name, address and contact details. For some transfers you have to supply their bank account information as well.
- Enter the amount you want to send. Complete your transaction and save your tracking or receipt number to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in Denmark
- Be careful — stay aware of your surroundings and your personal safety at all times.
- Don’t visit a transfer agent in an area where you do not feel safe.
- If possible, ask a friend to accompany you when you collect the cash.
- Don’t publicisz the fact that you have just picked up a large amount of money.
- Don’t carry large sums of money on your person — deposit it in your bank account as soon as you can.