Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Send money to Cameroon
Get the best rates by using an online transfer provider.
Online providers generally offer the most competitive rates for international transfers. But if your money needs to arrive ASAP, use a provider that offers cash pickup.
Compare transfer providers for Cameroon
What's in this guide?
- Compare transfer providers for Cameroon
- What's the best way to send money to Cameroon?
- Step-by-step: How to send money to Cameroon
- What's the fastest way to send money to Cameroon?
- What to watch out for
- Documentation you'll need to send money to Cameroon
- What to compare to get the best deal
- Cash pickup locations in Cameroon
- Bottom line
What’s the best way to send money to Cameroon?
The best transfer option for you will depend on whether you want your transfer to be fast, cheap or convenient.
You may be able to go to your bank to send money to Cameroon. It’s convenient, but it will also be slow and expensive and you may not be able to get the desired currency.
Some services let you send money to Cameroon for a cash pickup. It’s incredibly fast, with the money often available within minutes, but expensive.
Money transfer services
An online money transfer with a specialist service is usually the best value for the money, but it can be a bit slower. However, some online transfer providers, like WorldRemit, let you transfer money for cash pickup at much lower rates than a traditional remittance service — sometimes at the same rate as a direct deposit transfer. But you’ll need to pay with your bank account or card.
Step-by-step: How to send money to Cameroon
- Compare your options for sending dollars to XAF and choose the one that’s best for you.
- Go to the service’s website and create an account.
- Enter the details of your transfer and make your payment.
What’s the fastest way to send money to Cameroon?
If you want to send money to Cameroon as fast as possible, cash transfer services can get it there within minutes.
If you’re in a hurry, but also want to save money, you can look for a high-speed online transfer option.
Emergency cash transfer
Emergency cash transfers are offered by services including Western Union and MoneyGram and can get your money to Cameroon in just a few minutes, although these are usually more expensive than bank transfers.
The recipient will have to pick it up from a specified location though, and it will usually have to be within business hours for the agent at the destination.
How to send money to Cameroon without a bank account
Neither you nor the recipient needs a bank account for you to send money to Cameroon.
You can pay with cash at MoneyGram or Western Union agents in the US if you don’t have a bank account.
If your recipient doesn’t have a bank account, you can request a cash pickup or choose other options such as a mobile airtime top-up, where you can remotely top up airtime on MTN and Orange phones.
What to watch out for
With the aim of making foreign investment easier, Cameroon enjoys a highly developed banking sector on top of its mobile money network and numerous cash pickup agents.
Keep in mind that Cameroon’s currency is pegged to the euro at a rate of 1 EUR = 655.957 XAF. This means that factors that affect the euro affect the Central African CFA franc (XAF) as well.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Cameroon
You will need to provide documentation to send money to Cameroon. This may include the following:
- Identification.You will need to have documents such as a driver’s license to show who you are.
- Transfer amount.You need to say how much you want to transfer and in which currencies.
- Recipient’s details.You will also need to provide the recipient’s details, such as their name and banking details if you’re depositing the money in their account.
- Reason for sending the money.In some situations, you will be required to say why you’re sending the money.
What to compare to get the best deal
If you’re having trouble deciding which money transfer service to use, here are some aspects to consider:
- Fees.How much does the service cost in upfront fees?
- Exchange rates.What kind of exchange rates are you getting? Better rates can save a lot of money, especially for large transfers.
- Transfer speed.How long will the transfer take to arrive? If you’re in a hurry, you may want to look for a faster option.
- Payment options.Consider the different options for making your payment, such as by bank transfer or in cash, and make sure it works for you.
- Delivery methods.Does the recipient want a cash pickup? A bank transfer? Mobile airtime top-up?
- Customer service.Where do you turn if something goes wrong, and are they able to help?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The foreign exchange rate is how much one currency is officially worth in another currency.
By knowing the mid-market foreign exchange rate for your destination country’s currency, you get a benchmark to consider when comparing quotes from different money transfer services.
Here are the current mid-market rates for Cameroon. See how close you can get with a money transfer service to find the best rates.
Cash pickup locations in Cameroon
The CFA franc BEAC isn’t one of the most popular currencies, which means your transfer options may be somewhat limited. But you can still easily transfer money to Cameroon for direct deposit or online pickup. And to get the best deal on your next transfer, compare money transfer providers before getting started.
More guides on Finder
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
Venmo vs. PayPal
Looking to send money? See which of these two options works better for you.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
Sending money to Mexico during the coronavirus
Learn how COVID-19 may affect how you transfer cash across the border.
Our 13 fave Instagram accounts to inspire a money makeover
Keep up with these financial influencers to get your bank account looking picture perfect.
MoneyGram’s FastSend lets you send money with just a phone number
The global money transmitter is attempting to digitize by establishing a money-by-SMS service.
XE vs. OFX money transfers
Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
The best bill splitting apps to use with friends
Compare a range of banks and apps that let you split bills, request money and send payments to friends.
Money market vs. checking accounts
Compare their pros and cons, then explore your options.
Remitly vs. Western Union
We compare Remitly and Western Union to see which service can offer you a better deal.
Ask an Expert