Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Cambodia
Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to Cambodia.
Send money to Cambodia with WorldRemit
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Send to 110+ countries for bank-to-bank deposit, cash pickup or mobile top-up.
- No minimum transfers.
- Wide range of destinations.
- Competitive exchange rate.
Compare money transfer services to Cambodia
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Cambodia with our money transfer partners.
What's in this guide?
Banks vs. money transfer companies
While you’ll be tempted to visit your bank for a wire transfer to Cambodia, a reputable money transfer service can typically offer better exchange rates, lower fees and faster delivery — often without you having to leave your home.
Banks don’t often publish exchange rates, but you can sometimes find the rate you’ll receive by logging in to your online bank account.
Steps to send money to Cambodia
- Register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
- Provide your recipient’s contact information and account data if required.
- Select the amount of money to transfer.
- Keep a record of any transaction reference number you receive so that you can review the progress of your transfer.
You have multiple options to choose from when sending money to Cambodia from the United States. To get the best value for money for your international money transfer, compare the benefits and features of competing services before selecting a provider.
Case study: Bianca sends money to Cambodia
Bianca needs to send an urgent cash transfer of $1,000 to her sister Jamie-Lee. Jamie-Lee is backpacking through Cambodia but has unexpectedly run out of money, so she needs a quick injection of cash from her sister as soon as possible. In an effort to find the best possible deal, Bianca compares two transfer companies.
|Money transfer company 1||Money transfer company 2|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 1 USD||1 USD = 3959.05 KHR|
|Transfer options||Cash pick up||Cash pick up|
|Transfer speed||In minutes||In minutes|
|Amount received||$952 USD||3,959,054.90 KHR|
Bianca is unable to transfer KHR using the first money transfer company, and only could send American dollars. The second was able to send KHR, and cost only $2 extra dollars in transfer fees. If Jamie-Lee wants Cambodian riel, the second money transfer company is best.
How do I compare money transfer companies?
When sending money to friends, family and businesses in Cambodia, you’ll want to compare these details to get the best deal for your situation.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate —especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much a country’s currency is worth in another country’s currency. A strong currency yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Cambodia’s exchange rates is flexible and can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
What are the ways that I can send money to Cambodia?
- Bank transfers. Confirm whether your bank will allow you to send money to Cambodia.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and WorldRemit can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
When you use a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. There are federal protections in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Emergency cash transfers in Cambodia
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Cambodia — for example, if a relative traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, review the exchange rate and transfer fee that will apply to your transaction.
The fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option, so compare the details of your transaction before you commit.
Tips for picking up cash in Cambodia
Whether picking up funds in Phnom Penh or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
More guides on Finder
First Foundation Bank Online Savings Account review
No monthly fees and a competitive APY from this high-yield savings account.
Live Oak Bank Business Savings account review
This online-only business savings account lets you build your savings with a high APY and no fees.
Passbook account review
Passbook accounts help immigrants in the US manage their money without paying bank fees.
RSI Bank Go Digital! Savings review
RSI’s Go Digital savings account offers a decent APY, but is it right for you?
NBKC Business Checking Review
Open a business checking account and enjoy no transaction or maintenance fees.
Continental Bank High Yield Savings account review
This online savings account has no fees and earns 0.45% APY on your total balance.
HSBC Global Money account review
Manage your international finances with free transfers to HSBC customers.
One Finance review
A free digital spend and save account that earns up to 3% APY and comes with an instant line of credit.
Here’s what you need to know about Chewy, the popular pet retailer that offers fast shipping, a wide-variety of products and 24/7 customer service.
Copper Banking review
This digital checking account teaches your teen healthy money habits through interactive quizzes and an intuitive mobile app.
Ask an Expert