Send money to Cambodia without breaking the bank when you use the services of a specialist money transfer company.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
Banks versus money transfer companies
When you need to send money overseas, one of the first transfer options you can choose from is your bank. Most Australian banks will make it easy for you to send money to Cambodia – the problem is that they will usually charge high fees and take more than their fair share of your money through poor exchange rates.
In response to the disappointing deal offered by banks, recent years have seen the emergence of a range of specialist money transfer companies. These providers are experts when it comes to transferring money abroad, and they can usually do so much more cheaply than the banks. Their exchange rates are better, their fees lower, and they offer safe and secure online transfers to destinations around the world.
Bianca needs to send an urgent cash transfer of $1,000 to her sister Jamie-Lee. Jamie-Lee is backpacking through Cambodia but has unexpectedly run out of money, so she needs a quick injection of cash from her sister as soon as possible. In an effort to find the best possible deal, Bianca compares her bank to a specialist transfer company.
|Australian bank||Cash pickup transfer company|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 0.6664 USD||1 AUD = 0.6878 USD|
|Transfer method||Bank transfer||Cash transfer|
|Processing time||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Amount received (in USD)||$651.73||$687.80|
|Difference||+ $36.07 USD|
Bianca is unable to transfer KHR or the Cambodian Riel as it’s an exotic currency. By using a specialist service, she can save $36.07.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Cambodia?
- Exchange rates. Check to see how each provider’s exchange rates compare with those of other transfer companies. You should also be aware that exchange rates are only one factor that can influence the cost of transactions – you’ll need to consider transfer fees as well.
- Transaction fees. You will typically need to pay a fee each time you send a transfer, so compare all the fees each company charges. Sometimes also offer fee-free transactions on large transfers.
- Transfer methods. Some companies offer online or in-branch transfers only, while others also offer over-the-phone and mobile app transfers.
- Flexible options. Limit orders and forward contracts allow you to get a better exchange rate, while scheduling regular payments in advance can save you time.
- Transfer time. Processing times can vary between providers from 10 minutes to several business days.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Some companies will require you to send a minimum amount each time, or even impose a maximum limit on the amount you can send. Check to see whether those limits will affect your regular transfer needs.
- Pickup options. Will your recipient collect cash from a transfer agent or receive the transfer into their bank account?
- Customer service. Check to see how you can access customer service from the provider and when?
How do I send money to Cambodia from Australia?
- Specialist money transfer providers. Online money transfer providers offer better exchange rates and lower fees than banks.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union, Vina Money and MoneyGram offer this handy service.
- Bank transfers. Check with your bank to get an idea of the exchange rates they offer and the fees they charge for international transfers.
- International cheques. International guaranteed cheques from your bank offer another transfer option.
How do I receive money from Cambodia in Australia?
- Specialist money transfer providers. Compare your options today to find out which online transfer companies can help you send funds from Cambodia to Australia.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Visit Western Union’s or MoneyGram’s website to find your nearest cash pickup location.
- Bank transfers. You can receive transfers to your Australian bank account from all around the world.
- International cheques. International guaranteed cheques are a slow, old-fashioned transfer option.
Emergency cash transfers in Cambodia
If your beneficiary in Cambodia needs an urgent cash transfer, there are several companies that offer this type of service. However, you should be aware of the fact that these transfers tend to cost more than online transfers. High fees and poor exchange rates usually apply, so it’s always a good idea to review the full cost of your transaction before you actually commit to it.
Find a money transfer location near you
Tips for picking up cash in Cambodia
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises Australian visitors to Cambodia to exercise normal safety precautions. And no matter where you are in the world when picking up cash from a transfer agent, it pays to keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Only pick up cash from a transfer branch in a safe location
- Don’t go alone – take a friend with you
- Don’t display your cash in front of strangers
- Deposit the funds into your bank account as soon as possible
What are the steps to send money to Cambodia?
Although different transfer companies have different transfer methods, you will usually need to:
- Sign up for an account. The transfer provider will need your full name, your contact information and proof of ID. You can usually sign up for a free account online.
- Enter your transaction details. You’ll need to tell the transfer provider where you’re sending money, how much money you’re sending and in what currency.
- Pay for your transfer. The final step is to review the details of your transfer and then pay for your transaction. You can usually monitor the progress of your funds through the transfer provider’s online tracking service.