How to Save on Fees and Send More Money to Burundi
From bank transfers and online transactions to options that allow recipients to collect your funds within minutes, sending an international money transfer to Burundi is easy. But do your research and shop around for the best available deal.
World First International Money Transfers
Special $0 fee offer for finder.com readers
Because World First is a trusted partner of finder.com, you can send your money transfer overseas for free.
No fees: There is no online transfer fee for all finder.com customers.
- Enjoy competitive exchange rates.
- Spot contracts, forward contracts and limit orders are available.
- Receive weekly updates on market exchange rates.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
Dez is a dynamic young leader of a non-profit organization in America that campaigns against human trafficking. Due to the latest political upheavals and violence between cultural groups in Burundi, most people are advising Dez not go. As an activist, she cannot help herself and goes about getting details for having enough cash resources when she is in Burundi.
After some research using $1,000 USD as a comparison amount, she concludes that her best options are companies that will be able to deliver her cash at agent locations in a safe area.
|Money transfer company A||Money transfer company B|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 1674.50 BIF||1 USD = 1,683.89 BIF|
|Transfer fee||40 USD||25 USD|
|Amount of BIF received in Burundi for 1,000 USD||1,674,500.00 BIF||1,683,890.01 BIF|
|Transfer time||Minutes, 1-2 days||Minutes, 1-2 days|
|Transfer options||Online, Phone, Agent||Online, Phone, Agent|
|Difference in amount||9390.01 BIF||9390.01 BIF|
How did Dez compare money transfer companies?
- Exchange Rates. The exchange rates in Burundi can be volatile depending on the political situation. It would be a smart move to book a rate in advance when things are looking good.
- Pickup Methods. Money can be received in a supported bank account or be picked up at a MoneyGram or Western Union agent location in one of the main towns. It is advised to stick to main cities when picking up cash.
- Fees. When you are comparing different money transfer companies, the fees can sometimes be tolerable due to a better exchange rate, or it can add to an already bad exchange rate.
- Turnaround Time. The turnaround time for sending money to Burundi can take minutes or a couple of days. The availability of currencies can also determine the turnaround time for money to be picked up at an agent location.
- Transfer Methods. The available transfer methods that Dez and her associates can use are to transfer the money through an agent, online account, phone or, where it is supported, a bank to bank account.
- Transfer Options. Depending on the service used, transfer options can include recurring payments, spot contracts, and booked rates.
- Minimum/Maximum Transfer Amounts. Minimum and maximum transfer amounts are important not only on the sending end, but also on the receiving end. It won’t help to send a maximum amount if a maximum amount cannot be received. .
- Customer Service. Customer service is extremely important when visiting countries with a weakened economy and political upheaval. Phone and email support is vital in case of a problem.
How can friends of Dez send money to Burundi from America?
- Money transfer services - Some available international money transfer companies include MoneyGram, Western Union and World First.
- Banks – Citibank supports the BIF currency but does not report having branches in Burundi itself. A Citibank branch will be able to supply you with the necessary details on how they support the BIF and whether you can send money from the branch to a bank account in Burundi.
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Burundi. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
- Urgent cash transfers to Burundi
For emergencies, Dez can go to one of the agent locations in Burundi’s main towns where there is preferably a lot of business activity. She can visit one of these agent locations with her photo ID and tracking or reference number to pick up cash that has been sent to her.
Back to top
Don’t ignore these tips for picking up cash in Burundi!
Burundi in its current state is not a travel-friendly country. It is politically unstable, a hotspot for terrorist attacks, and extremely high in crime and violence.
This means that in the case of Dez, she has herself in a tricky situation. The general safety advice is to not travel at night ever, and to stay away from areas other than densely populated business areas. Public transportation has also received a no-go from travelers. Because of severe laws against money theft, Dez is advised to carry more than sufficient proof that the money she picks up is intended for her.
What are the steps that you need to follow to send money to Burundi?
|When sending to an agent location in Burundi:|
|1. Details of recipient|
|2. The details of the specific agent location (to make sure they have the available currencies)|
|3. Specified amount|
|4. If you’re doing it online, you will need to register an account with the service provider you are going to use.|
|If you are sending money to a supported bank account in Burundi:|
|1. Details of the bank and bank account number|
|2. The branch number of the bank along with any of the necessary SWIFT / BIC / IBAN details|
|3. Amount in the supported currency|
|4. Details of the recipient|