Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Bangladesh
Find cheap and fast transfers to Bangladesh for pickup or deposit.
The best way to send money to Bangladesh largely depends on your payment method and how much you’re sending. Quick delivery and low fees makes Remitly a top pick for small transfers, while InstaReM is best for larger amounts. Look to MoneyGram, Ria or WorldRemit for fast turnaround on cash transfers. Compare digital money specialists to save on fees when you send money to Bangladesh.
How much does it cost to send money to Bangladesh? Compare your options
Compare transfer fees, exchange rates and turnaround times to narrow down the best money specialist for your next transfer.
What's in this guide?
How to send money to Bangladesh online
Sign up and send with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for an account. Use our site to narrow down a money specialist offering the best rate and lowest fees, and create an online account with your name, contact information and proof of valid ID.
- Provide your transfer details. Submit your recipient’s name, address and contact information, and choose your preferred method of delivery. Depending on the transfer method, you may also need their Bangladeshi bank account information.
- Pick an amount. Indicate how much you want to transfer, and confirm the exchange rate and any fees before completing your transaction.
- Save your receipt. Hold on to your confirmation details to monitor the progress of your transfer.
Crunching the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Bangladesh
Let’s say you want to send $1,000 home to your family in Bangladesh. You compare your local bank to money transfer specialists offering cash pickups and bank deposits to weigh which is cheapest, fastest and most convenient.
|Bank transfer||Cash pickup||Money transfer service|
|Fee||$30 + bank fees||$5||$16|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 83.194 BDT||1 USD = 84.474 BDT||1 USD = 84.898 BDT|
|Transfer speed||2–4 days||Minutes||1–2 days|
|Amount received||BDT 80,698||BDT 84,051||BDT 83,539|
The bank ends up being both too slow and too expensive, resulting in the least amount of money delivered among the three. The money transfer service provided a better value, but the cash transfer specialist ends up being fastest and best, delivering some 3,350 more takas to your loved ones.
How to compare transfer companies
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to find the best money transfer specialist for your needs:
- Exchange rates. Look for a provider that offers a strong rate with low markup on the mid-market rate. And note that your strongest rate may require a minimal transfer fee.
- Transfer fees. Most companies charge fees for the convenience of a money transfer. But many reduce fees or waive them altogether for larger amounts.
- Transfer method. Depending on the company, you may be able to initiate a transfer online, over the phone and by visiting a branch.
- Turnaround time. Some companies take up to five business days to process transfers, while others make funds available to your recipient within minutes for an additional fee.
- Pickup methods. Is the transaction managed completely online with funds delivered straight to your recipient’s bank account, or can they visit an agent location and pick up cash in person?
- Minimum transfer amounts. Make sure the amount you’re sending is supported by the companies you compare.
- Customer service options. Are phone and email customer support available? Can you reach out for help through online live chat? Also check when these services are available to make sure you can access help whenever you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another country’s currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Bangladesh’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Track how the Bangladeshi taka trades against the US dollar in our historical rate chart.
Options for sending money to Bangladesh from the US
Depending on the transfer specialist you choose, you may be able to send money for delivery by:
- Bank transfer. Send money direct from your US bank account to an account in Bangladesh.
- Digital transfer specialist. Online providers like Wise, WorldRemit and OFX can send money quickly and easily.
- Cash pickups. Providers like MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to send funds online, over the phone or from an agent location. Those funds can then be picked up as cash from an agent in Bangladesh.
- Checks. It’s a slower method of sending money to Bangladesh, but it may be available with select providers.
How safe is a money transfer?
When processed through a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until they are in the hands of your recipient. Federal protections require that:
- All banks, credit unions and money transfer companies disclose fees up front, including international taxes.
- Users have 30 minutes to cancel a transfer that hasn’t been picked up or deposited.
- Companies list what to do in case of error and how to submit a complaint.
- Companies investigate when a consumer reports a problem.
- Companies accept responsibility for the mistakes made by people who work for them.
These protections apply to transfers for more than $15 that are made by a consumer in the US and are sent to a person or company in a foreign country.
Tips for picking up cash
Advise your recipients to practice caution when picking up cash:
- Keep your money hidden until safely deposited in a bank account.
- Avoid questionable parts of town when carrying cash.
- Bring a friend along to provide an extra set of eyes, especially if you’re picking up a large number of takas.
Emergency cash transfers
Some situations in life require sending money quickly. For emergency transfers, expect to pay a fee extra to expedite delivery. Confirm the exchange rate and fees you’ll pay to avoid unpleasant surprises.Back to top
Cash pickup locations in Bangladesh
More guides on Finder
Divorce Forms Filler review
An online DIY service that charges a flat rate to generate your divorce paperwork — but watch out for the automatic membership fee.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
HSBC Global Money account review
Manage your international finances with free transfers to HSBC customers.
Bask Bank Savings review
American Airlines loyals can earn free miles with this savings account.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
3 Step Divorce review
A flat fee provides the necessary forms and resources to file in your state. But there’s no legal advice and you’re on your own for filing and court fees.
Limelight Bank CD review
Limelight Bank CDs offer higher than normal APY on short-term options.
TD Ameritrade vs. Vanguard
Features, fees and investor feedback to consider for these two platforms.
PNC ‘S’ is for Savings review
A PNC kids account that uses Sesame Street to teach your child good money habits.
Golden 1 Youth Savings Account review
A basic kids’ account with no monthly fees and a $1 deposit, but the APY is low.
Ask an Expert