We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
How to send money to Angola
Get the best rates with an online transfer provider.
Online transfer companies offer affordable rates, but you’ll need to choose a company that offers cash pickup if your recipient needs the money now.
Compare transfer providers
Learn more about
Step-by-step: How to send money to Angola
- Choose a transfer provider.
- Go to the service’s website and create an account.
- Create a new money transfer order on the website, including the amount and the recipient’s details.
- Confirm your transaction details and make the payment. Your money is now on its way.
What’s the best way to send money to Angola?
There are three main ways to send money overseas. The best option will depend on what you and your recipient are looking for.
Bank transfers are reliable and can be convenient, but also tend to be slow and expensive. In general, banks may be more suitable for business payments than remittances.
If you want to pay with cash, or the recipient wants to pick up cash somewhere in Angola, you’ll need to choose a transfer provider with physical locations in Angola. This is fast but can be more expensive than online transfers.
Money transfer services
These online-only services can be among the cheapest options available, but will generally require you to pay with a bank transfer.
How long will it take to send money to Angola?
How long it takes to send money to Angola depends on a range of factors. If you want to get money there as fast as possible, cash transfers may be the most efficient choice.
Alternatively, if both you and the recipient have a suitable mobile money account, such as e-Kwanza, you can send mobile money payments instantly.
Emergency cash transfer
Services that specialize in cash transfers can help you send money to Angola, offering pickup locations around the country. These transfers generally take only minutes.
However, the recipient will still have to travel to the pickup location during business hours to make the collection.
How to send money to Angola without a bank account
If you don’t have a bank account, you may have to pay with cash at an agent location. There is a wide range of agent locations around the world, although some services will have better coverage in some countries than others.
Your recipient can still make a cash pickup and receive mobile money payments without having a bank account.
What to watch out for
Angola is very cash oriented, so cash transfers are considered the norm.
The country also imposes tight restrictions on the Angolan kwanza to prevent it from leaving the country in large amounts. There are generally few restrictions or taxes on money coming into the country, but sending money from Angola to other countries is much more difficult.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Angola
When you send money to Angola, you may need to provide:
- Identification. You may need to show a driver’s license or passport to provide proof of identity. Your recipient may also need to provide proof of identity.
- Transfer details. This includes the amount you want to send in US dollars or Angolan kwanza. You may also need to provide additional information, such as the reason for sending the money.
- Recipient’s details. This is the recipient’s name and contact information. You’ll also be given a transfer number, which you should send to the recipient so they can collect the money.
What to compare to get the best deal
You can compare on cost alone, but there are other factors to consider too.
- Fees. The fees are often the main cost, but you should also consider exchange rates.
- Exchange rates. On large transfers, the exchange rates can be one of the biggest expenses.
- Transfer speed. If you need the money to arrive in a hurry, look for services that are convenient for the recipient.
- Payment options. How would you like to pay for your transfer? Your options may vary depending on whether you’d prefer to pay with card, cash or bank transfer.
- Delivery methods. Is cash pickup fine, or do you want to send the money directly to the recipient’s bank account?
- Customer service. Who do you contact in case something goes wrong? Does the money transfer service have a good reputation for customer service?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rates can make up a large portion of the total costs, especially for larger transfers.
To find out how good your rates are, compare the exchange rate offered by the transfer service to
the current USD/AOA mid-market rate.
Today’s exchange rate USD to AOA
Cash pickup locations in Angola
While sending money for cash pickup is generally the fastest option, using an online transfer provider to send to a bank account is usually the cheapest. To get the best deal on your next transfer to Angola or another country, compare money transfer providers.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to CurrencyFair Thinking of using CurrencyFair? Double check to make sure it’s the best option for you before sending money overseas.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. TorFX We look at TorFX and XE to see which will get you a better deal the next time you send money overseas.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert