Find out how to send money to Algeria.
Smartraveller.gov.au advises Australian travellers reconsider their need to travel to Algeria. There is a high threat of kidnapping, terrorist attack and banditry. If you’re concerned about picking up cash in Algeria, contact your hotel to see if they can arrange for an escort to accompany you to and from your destination. Major international hotels should be able to provide at least some level of assistance at this request. A money belt is also a good idea for keeping your valuables such as your passport and cash safe from pickpockets and opportunistic thieves.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
A small number of money transfer companies let you send money to Algeria and most banks can’t support this currency. You can see the main features of each different type of international payment service below. In this example, the bank is only able to send US dollars to Algeria.
|Bank||International cash payment service|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 0.6781 USD||1 AUD = 74.1400 DZD|
|Amount received for $1000 (in Algerian dinars)||663.18 USD (70,598.83 DZD)||74,139.98 DZD|
|Transfer time||4 – 6 business days.||Minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Cash|
|Difference of||N/A||3541.15 DZD|
Correct 1.30PM 04/02/16
How do I compare money transfer companies?
- Exchange rate. First, compare providers by whether they’ll exchange Australian dollars to Algerian dinars. Most online money transfer companies don’t exchange AUD to DZD while others can only send US dollars to Algeria.
- Transfer fee. The extra fee to send money to Algeria. Due to the exotic nature of the Algerian dinar, paying a high transfer fee may be unavoidable.
- Transfer time. Bank account deposits take a number of working days to clear whereas cash collection can be ready right away. Faster transfers incur higher fees.
- Payment options. Bank deposits, credit cards, debit cards and cash are all accepted methods of payment. Card and cash payments clear instantly.
- Collection options. Banks and most companies deposits funds into the beneficiary’s bank account, Western Union and MoneyGram have agents in Algeria where cash can be collected in person.
- Transfer limits. Look for the provider’s transfer limits if you’re sending less than $100 or more than $10,000.
- Transfer options. A number of providers offer transfer options suited to trading currency as well as one off payments to Algeria.
- Customer service. Is there an Australian based customer service team available for you to contact if you have any questions about your trade.
How do I send money to Algeria from Australia
There are three different types of international payment service you can use to send money to Algeria.
- Banks. Although banks don’t publish the Algerian exchange rate on their foreign rate charts, you can send money to Algeria by logging on to your internet banking facility. You’ll need the recipient’s personal and bank details if they’re not already listed as a beneficiary.
- International cash payment services. Once you’ve created an account with either Western Union or MoneyGram, you can send funds to Algeria to be collected as cash. These companies don’t offer bank account deposits like they do with other countries and only accept payment from a debit or credit card. Unlike some banks, both Western Union and MoneyGram are able to deliver the currency Algerian dinar opposed to US dollars.
- Online foreign exchange services. These companies can deposit funds in an Algerian bank account. Points of difference include: multiple transfer options, bank beating rates and fee free transfer thresholds.
AFEX - AFEX can trade in all international currencies not under international embargo. AFEX offer a number of transfer options suited to trading foreign currencies and is the world’s largest non-bank provider of international payments.
How do I receive money from Algeria in Australia?
Here are three ways to receive money from Algeria in Australia.
- Bank account. You’ll need to give the sender your bank account name, number and the bank name, address and SWIFT code. You may also need to provide your address including the name of your city.
- Cash. Provide photo identification such as your licence or passport and transfer reference code when you collect cash from an agent.
- PayPal. Provide your email or phone number to receive a payment to your PayPal account.
Emergency cash transfers in Algeria
Have a look at these options for getting access to cash in Algeria fast.
- Emergency cash assist. If you’ve lost your card, or it’s stolen, you can request emergency cash assistance from Visa or MasterCard. The funds in your account can be made available to collect as cash at a local agent.
- International cash transfer. Western Union and MoneyGram can send cash to Algeria in minutes. Both companies are represented by banks in major Algerian cities. Access to emergency funds on the weekend may be a problem in some areas.
- Travel insurance. Read up on whether you can get an emergency cash provision from your travel insurance policy. For a covered event, you may be able to get access to cash to help with expenses.
What are the steps to send money to Algeria?
Log on to your internet banking facility to send money to Algeria. You’ll need to create a new beneficiary if this is your first transfer to Algeria. You’ll need the following information.
- The recipient’s bank’s SWIFT BIC. You can usually look this code up if you know the name and address of the beneficiary’s bank
- The bank number
- Beneficiary’s bank account number
- The beneficiary’s name, address and city.
If you’re sending cash to Algeria, you must create an account with MoneyGram or Western Union first. Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes. To create an account provide your:
- Personal details. Enter your personal details such as your age, address and contact information.
- Identification. You can verify your identity online using your passport, driver’s licence or medicare card. Once you have completed this step, you’re free to start making transfers.