We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Send money to Albania
Save time and money when sending money to Albania.
WorldRemit International Money Transfers
Send money to 110+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Compare money transfer services
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds overseas with our money transfer partners.
Banks vs. money transfer companies
While you’ll be tempted to visit your bank for a wire transfer to Albania, a reputable money transfer service can typically offer better exchange rates, lower fees and faster delivery — often without you having to leave your home.
Banks don’t often publish exchange rates, but you can sometimes find the rate you’ll receive by logging in to your online bank account.
Steps to send money to Albania
Whether you send money through your bank, a money transfer provider or any other option, the process is similar.
- Register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
- Designate the recipient of your transfer and the agent location where they will pick up the funds.
- Select the amount of money you want to transfer.
- Keep a record of any transaction reference number you receive so that you can review your transfer’s progress.
You have multiple options to choose from when sending money to Albania from the United States. To get the best value for money for your international money transfer, compare the benefits and features of competing services before selecting a provider.
How much will I pay to send money to Albania?
Say that you want to send $1,000 to your sister, who’s traveling around Tirana for the summer. You might find that your bank doesn’t send money to Albania. Exploring alternatives, here’s what you’d pay for a bank account transfer with a big-name provider and an independent money transfer specialist like Ria.
|Big-name transfer provider||Online money transfer specialist|
|Exchange rate||1 USD = 123 ALL||1 USD = 125 ALL|
|Transfer speed||4 business days||In minutes|
|Transfer options||Cash pickup||Cash pickup|
|Total ALL received||123,000 ALL||125,000 ALL|
With an independent money transfer service, you’d save $20 on the transfer fee alone. And with a stronger exchange rate, you’d get 2,000 more Albanian leks to your sister for cash pickup in minutes flat. That’s one happy sibling.Back to top
How do I compare money transfer companies?
When sending money to friends, family and businesses in Albania, you’ll want to compare these details to get the best deal for your situation.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate —especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Albania’s exchange rates is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
What are the ways that I can send money to Albania?
- Bank transfers. Confirm whether your bank will allow you to send money to Albania.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and TransferWise can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- M-Pesa. M-Pesa is a safe, secure way to send, receive and store money through your mobile phone or an app. Top up your account at one of more than 287,000 agent locations and then send money to loved ones, who can visit an agent to withdraw their funds.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or US Postal Service.
Same-day cash transfers in Albania
You might need to make an urgent cash transfer to Albania — for example, if a friend traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds in a hurry, review the exchange rate and transfer fee that will apply to your transaction.
The fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option, so compare the details of your transaction before you commit.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Albania
Whether picking up funds in Berat or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
How safe is a money transfer?
When you use a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. There are federal protections in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Read more on this topic
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to CurrencyFair Thinking of using CurrencyFair? Double check to make sure it’s the best option for you before sending money overseas.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. TorFX We look at TorFX and XE to see which will get you a better deal the next time you send money overseas.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.
Ask an Expert