Get cash to your friends or family overseas with our step-by-step guide.
Wondering about the process of sending money worldwide with a World Remit money transfer? Let us walk you through the steps from registration to receipt.
What is WorldRemit?
WorldRemit was founded in 2010, and today you can send money to more than 125 countries safely and securely through its simple online process. You indicate the country you’re sending money to and your recipient’s details, and WorldRemit will deliver your cash quickly into the hands of your friends or family.
WorldRemit International Money Transfers
Send money to more than 120 countries and enjoy a variety of transfer options when you send funds overseas with WorldRemit.
- Low fees and exchange rates are shown upfront
- It’s easy to use and we’re here to help round the clock
- Get your money to family and friends in minutes
- We’ve sent millions of transfers to over 125 countries
How much does WorldRemit cost?
Fees vary by amount sent, country it’s sent to and how you choose to deliver it to your recipient. For example, a bank deposit of $1,000 to Mexico will cost $3.99, while the same amount sent to a bank account in China will cost $7.99.
WorldRemit updates its guaranteed exchange rates daily, and they are generally stronger than those you’ll find at a major US bank.
What do I need to transfer money with WorldRemit?
Sending money overseas with WorldRemit is easy, but you will need:
- A WorldRemit account. It’s easy to set one up while initiating your transfer.
- A valid payment method. Your bank account, credit card or debit card information.
- Your recipient’s name and contact information. If you’re transferring money to a bank account, you’ll also need the bank name, the bank’s SWIFT code and an account number.
- Your contact and banking information. Including the account number and security information for the account you’re transferring from.
Short for the cumbersome Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, a SWIFT code is an international bank code used for incoming transfers. Overseas banks each have a unique SWIFT code that identifies which bank to send money to.
How to transfer your money with WorldRemit
Step 1. Click “Go to site.” In the “Send to” box, use the drop-down menus to select the country you are sending money from and to. (Take care when selecting your send country, because you won’t be able to change it later.)
Step 2. Choose how you’d like your recipient to receive your money. You can send it directly to their bank account, to their mobile phone, as an airtime top-up or for cash pickup.
Step 3. Enter the amount of money you want to send. You’ll see WorldRemit’s exchange rate, transfer fee and exactly how much your recipient will get.
Step 4. Create an account by entering your name and email address. An account will make it easier for WorldRemit to remember your details for future transactions.
Step 5. Enter the recipient’s country and their preferred currency, name, mobile number and method of money transfer.
Step 6. Send your money directly from your bank account or by using your debit or credit card. You will receive an SMS or text message with confirmation of your transaction. You and your recipient will also receive an email when it is sent and when it is received.
What happens next?
- Fast money worldwide in minutes. Your recipient can pick up cash from one of 30,000 agents on completion of your transaction. Bank account transfers are available by the following day.
- Track your money through text. Through SMS or text updates, you’ll know when your money is both sent and received.
- Contact customer service. If you need assistance, WorldRemit is available 24/7 toll-free at 888-722-7771 or online using Live Chat.
How does WorldRemit’s Mobile Money work?
While not yet popular in the US, Mobile Money is an e-wallet used in many countries that lets users receive and store money using their mobile phone. If the country you’re sending money to accepts transfers by Mobile Money, your recipient can pay bills and make other payments using a simple text message.
When will my money be available through WorldRemit?
Cash can be picked up within minutes of your transaction confirmation. For direct bank account transfers, the money is available by the following day. If mobile deposits are available in your country, they are available immediately. In the Philippines, WorldRemit can send the money directly to your recipient’s home address.
Why am I having trouble sending money the way I want to?
Transfer options vary by the country you’re sending money to. Check with WorldRemit’s website to confirm countries, exchange rates and fees, and how your recipient can receive your money.
How safe is a money transfer?
When processed through a reputable bank or company, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. And if you’re sending money internationally, federal protections are in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees up front and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.