Need to end your car insurance coverage? Do it with a simple phone call.
Liberty Mutual makes it easy to cancel your auto insurance coverage by phone. Whether you’re changing providers or selling your vehicle, here’s how to go about canceling your policy with Liberty Mutual.
Liberty Mutual’s cancellation policy
How do I avoid paying early cancellation fees?
If you will incur a fee for canceling early, you might want to consider waiting until the end of your policy term to cancel. To find out if you will be charged a fee, speak with a Liberty Mutual customer service rep at 800-658-9857. If you are not switching to a new provider and will no longer be driving, weigh the cost of the cancellation fee against the remainder of your total payments and any prorated refund.
Ready to cancel? Compare car insurance quotes
|Company||Average annual rate||Learn more|
|21st Century||$1,701||Read review|
|State Farm||$2,474||Read review|
|The Hartford||$2,529||Read review|
|Liberty Mutual||$2,611||Read review|
|Average||$1,910||Compare all reviews|
How can I cancel my policy?
While it’s easy to adjust your coverage online, you won’t be able to cancel your policy without calling in. The fees and process of canceling vary based on the state in which the policy was issued. A customer service agent will walk you through the process.
Canceling by phone
- Have your policy number ready.
- Call 800-658-9857 to speak with a licensed agent.
- Request that your insurance be cancelled and provide the date you wish it to end.
- Ask for confirmation.
Can a family member or friend cancel my insurance for me?
No. Since car insurance is a legal contract, only the policyholder can cancel. An exception is someone who’s designated as your power of attorney — this person can cancel your policy, but Liberty Mutual will require proof of POA.
Do I need to have a new policy in place before canceling my policy with Liberty Mutual?
In short, no. Liberty Mutual doesn’t require you to have another policy in place before canceling coverage.
But remember that it’s illegal to drive without at least the minimum auto insurance. Make sure you understand your state’s requirements for car insurance to avoid any unnecessary repercussions. Some states require you to carry insurance on a vehicle until you turn in your license plate, so be aware that Liberty Mutual may directly notify your state of your cancellation.
Can I cancel at any time?
Yes. It is your right to can cancel your policy at any time. But don’t just stop paying your insurance premium. You must notify Liberty Mutual that you want to cancel your policy.
What should I consider before cancelling my policy?
- Does your state require proof of new insurance? It is illegal to drive without car insurance, so make sure there is no lapse in your coverage by having new car insurance in place before canceling your current policy.
- When is the best time to cancel or switch providers? Life changes like getting married, buying a house or having a baby might be good times to shop around for a new policy. If your credit score has increased, check with your provider to see if this might lower your costs. Earning a college degree also might bring down your insurance premium. Experts also recommend shopping around for a new policy once a year.
- How much time do I need to switch policies? When cancelling by phone, your cancellation can be effective immediately. Or you can set a date in the future for when you would like your coverage to end.
Should I cancel or adjust my policy?
If you’re not happy with your provider and can’t get a resolution, switching to another provider could be the option for you. Or if you are looking to save money, you might be offered new customer discounts at another provider. But first compare all of your car insurance options to find the right provider for you.
However, there are benefits to staying with your provider and adjusting your policy. Liberty Mutual offers different discounts — for example, if you’ve been with Liberty for more than three years you might be eligible for a lower rate. Give Liberty a call at 800-658-9857 to see what discounts can be applied to your policy.
Alternatives to Liberty Mutual
If you decide you want to go ahead and switch providers, check out your alternatives to find the right provider for you.
Cancelling your coverage with Liberty Mutual is as simple as picking up the phone. But know the consequences of ending your car insurance before you do so and have new coverage in place if you intend to continue driving.