Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
How to cancel a BB&T credit card
You may need to do more than send a message to cancel this credit card.
If you’re trying to cancel your BB&T credit card, first try sending a secured message to customer service. Ultimately, however, you’ll likely need to talk to someone to close your account.
Banks like to get you on the phone to offer better card terms to convince you to stay. But if you’re set on closing your account, you can turn down the offers and continue canceling your card.
Steps to cancel your BB&T credit card
- Pay off your balance. You can’t close your card with a remaining balance. Pay off your balance off or transfer it to another account.
- Redeem your rewards. You’ll lose your rewards if you don’t use them.
- Contact customer service. Log in to your online account and send a secured message. Expect to get a reply within three business days.
How to call in to cancel
Even if you send an online message, it’s likely that you’ll need to talk to a customer service rep by phone. When you do, the bank could try to persuade you with exciting new offers like a lower APR, interest-free periods or other bonuses. Some of the offers may look too good to pass up. If that’s what you’re looking for, you can always change your mind and keep your BB&T card.
Otherwise, decline any offers and prepare the following:
- Your credit card and account information.
- Reason for canceling the card.
- Pen and paper — to write down the representative’s ID and name.
When ready, call 800-226-5228 to cancel. If you’re deaf or hard of hearing, call 888-833-4228.
Will canceling my BB&T credit card affect my credit score?
Yes, canceling any credit card temporarily lowers your credit score, because it affects your overall credit utilization. If you’re in the market for a loan, you might want to consider:
- Your overall credit utilization. The ratio of your total credit card balances to credit limits, or your credit utilization, makes up 30% of your overall credit score. Closing credit cards with available credit can lower your credit utilization — and lower your credit score.
- Solution. The goal is to have 20% of available credit across all cards. Get another card with a higher credit limit than what you had with your BB&T card. Your utilization levels will drop, and this could balance out or improve your credit score. However, a new card requires a hard pull on your credit.
- Future borrowing. With a temporary drop in your credit score, you may not be eligible for the strongest rates and terms on future loans.
- Solution. Wait until your loan is approved before you cancel your BB&T credit card.
- Your name and address.
- Your credit card number.
- The date of cancellation and the name and ID of the representative you talked to.
- Request for an account closure confirmation letter.
After you’ve canceled your BB&T credit card.
After you’ve canceled your BB&T card over the phone or through an online message, consider sending a formal letter to confirm the cancellation, including:
When ready, send your letter to:
PO Box 200
Wilson, NC 27893
After closing your BB&T credit card, compare your credit card options and consider a replacement for the card you’ve canceled.
Looking for a new card?
Closing your BB&T credit card may clear the way for a new card with better rewards or a lower APR. Consider a card that best suits your financial needs, like a travel or rewards card. And compare your options to find the best rates you’re eligible for.
More guides on Finder
Wells Fargo Autograph Credit Card Review
Save on interest and earn solid points on your everyday purchases.
Sable ONE Secured Credit Card Review
A user-friendly secured card with no credit check required.
Bread Cashback™ American Express® Credit Card review
A simple 2% cashback card that could benefit from extra features.
8 financial experts predict the next big credit card trend
Travel and cashback credit cards are a few cards to watch out for.
Aspire® Cash Back Reward Card Review
A credit building card held back by fees.
IHG® Rewards Premier Business Credit Card Review
A strong business hotel card for a surprisingly low price.
Oportun® Visa® Credit Card review
Build credit without the need for a credit history.
Bank of America® Business Advantage Unlimited Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card review
Earn up to 2.62% back depending on your Preferred Rewards membership.
Save Wealth Card review
Earn up to 6% back through your everyday spending.
Ask an Expert