Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card Review
A decent but unimpressive card with an unusual rewards system.
- Get this card if you frequently book nights through Hotels.com or don’t frequently stay at a single chain.
- Pick something else if you want bigger hotel reward opportunities at a specific brand.
- Apply with a credit score of 670 or higher.
17.24% to 25.24%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Welcome offer||Get a reward night worth $125 when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.|
|Rewards||Spend $500 on the card to collect 1 stamp|
10 stamps = 1 reward night worth $110
|Purchase APR||17.24% to 25.24% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||17.24% to 25.24% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Steven Dashiell is Senior Writer, Personal Finance at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, NASDAQ, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
To understand the Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card, you first need to understand the Hotels.com rewards program, which works off of a “punch card” system. Book a hotel night through Hotels.com and you’ll earn a “punch” on your card worth the value of that night’s stay. Earn 10 of these punches and you’ll receive one reward night worth the average value of all 10 of those punches.
On its own, this is an above average flat rate. But Hotels.com intends for cardholders to combine spending on this card with actual booked hotel nights through their site. This. unfortunately, can lead to things becoming a little confusing as you’ll need to track your actual hotel stays and how much each is worth, along with your card spending. And once you get 10 punches, there’s a bit of math involved to understand just how much your reward night is worth.
It can get a bit messy, especially considering your ultimate redemption value will be worth more or less depending on the price of any night stays you booked through Hotels.com. Factoring in the card’s other benefits, it’s roughly equivalent to other middle-of-the-road hotel cards. There are more valuable hotel cards out there, but it’s not a bad pick if you frequently use Hotels.com for your travel needs.
How to apply for the Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card
You can apply for the Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card by doing the following:
- Go to the Hotels.com website.
- At the top menu bar underneath the Hotels.com logo, click on Hotels.com credit card.
- Click the blue Apply now button.
- Fill out the requested information and click submit.
What credit score do I need to apply for the Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card?
You’ll need at least a good credit score of 670to qualify for this card.
Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card benefits
- Work toward a reward night. For every $500 you spend on your card, you’ll earn one “punch” on your rewards program card worth the same as booking a $110 night stay. Collect 10 punches and you’ll earn one reward night worth the average value of each punched hole.
- Signup bonus. Get a reward night worth up to $125 after you spend $1,000 on purchases within your first 3 months. This is an actual reward night, not a punch on your card.
- Silver membership. Enjoy a Hotels.com Silver membership for your first year, which includes benefits such as free breakfasts, free WiFi and more.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
- Travel insurance. This card offers travel accident insurance, trip cancellation insurance and cell phone coverage.
What to watch out for
- No accelerated rewards. Strangely, this card doesn’t earn additional value when you use it to pay for Hotels.com bookings. Similar hotel cards, such as the IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card, earn a much higher value when used at their corresponding hotel brand.
- Reward caveats. The Hotels.com rewards program carries a few limitations, such as not granting you punches on bookings that are part of a package deal.
- Rewards can expire. If you don’t redeem them within 12 months, you’ll lose accrued rewards on your rewards ticket.
Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card reviews and complaints
Wells Fargo, the provider behind the Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card, is not rated and not accredited by the Better Business Bureau. It’s garnered over 3,300 complaints on the site, along with a few alerts detailing recent government actions brought against the bank.
Compare hotel credit cards
The Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card plays into a rather confusing rewards program, but is otherwise a perfectly average rewards card. You might find it nice to have in your wallet if you frequently book through Hotels.com, especially since it lacks an annual fee. But if you’re really trying to drive value on your hotel bookings, you’ll want to look at your other hotel card options.