A credit card made for Holland America Line cruises regulars.
- Get this card if you spend heavily with Holland America Line cruises.
- Pick something else if you want a general travel rewards card.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card|
|Standard Purchase APR||16.24%, 21.24% or 26.24% variable|
|Intro Purchase APR|
|Standard Balance Transfer APR||16.24%, 21.24% or 26.24% variable|
|Intro Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first 15 billing cycles (then 16.24%, 21.24% or 26.24% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||27.49% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 23 days|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $37|
|Returned Payment Fee||Up to $37|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||5,000 points after your first purchase, enough to redeem for a $50 onboard credit|
|Rewards||2x points on Holland America, including onboard purchases and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Base Rewards||1x points|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
This card is relatively light on perks, but for the Holland America Line regulars it may have a great value. It costs nothing to own the card and you get to earn points on your purchases. Plus the signup bonus is a quick reward.
With several redemption options, you won’t be limited to using your rewards on Holland America Line cruises. You’ll earn the most points and redeem for the highest value when you choose Holland America Line, so regular customers will get more out of this card.
Our pick for getting to your cruise
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American ExpressRead more
After you make your first purchase, you’ll earn 5,000 points. That’s enough for a $50 of onboard credit when you take a Holland America Line cruise.
No annual fee.
You won’t have to pay an extra fee every year to own this card.
Earn 2x points on Holland America Line purchases. For everything else, earn 1x points. Redeeming points is simple, and you have several redemption reward options to choose from.
What can I redeem points for?
Redeem points for:
- Statement credit. Redeem points for a statement credit toward Holland America Line, Carnival Cruise Line, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Princess Cruises, The Yachts of Seabourn, P&O Cruises, P&O Cruises Australia, Ibero and Aida.
- Onboard amenities. Enjoy onboard spa treatments and onboard merchandise.
- Travel rewards. Redeem points for flights, hotels and car rentals.
- Gift certificates and merchandise. These are shipped anywhere in the 50 United States, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
You’ll also like …
Intro APR for balance transfers.
Get a 0% intro APR period for the first 15 billing cycles following your account opening. Balance transfers must post to your account within 45 days of card membership to qualify. After that, an APR of 16.24%, 21.24% or 26.24% variable applies.
No foreign transaction fees.
Use your card internationally without incurring fees. Other cards have up to a 3% fee for every transaction.
Get assistance with dining, travel, hotel and entertainment reservations.
Fraud liability protection.
You’re not responsible for unauthorized charges on the card when you report them.
What to watch out for
Balance transfer limitations.
To use the intro APR period for balance transfers, your transfers must post within 45 days of card membership.
Each balance transfer will also cost you either $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater.
Potentially high APR.
You could have a purchase and balance transfer APR as high as 16.24%, 21.24% or 26.24% variable . This is relatively high when compared to average rate of 16%.
If you make late or returned payments, you’ll pay up to $37. Luckily, the card doesn’t have a penalty APR.
Compare credit cards for cruises
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
If your requested transfer amount exceeds your credit limit, Barclays may decline your request or they may accept a partial amount. Keep in mind that Barclays won’t accept balance transfers from another Barclays account.
For each transfer you make, you’ll pay either $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater. That means a $1,000 balance transfer costs $30 in fees. It also takes at least four weeks for your balance transfers to post to your account, so you’ll need to request them early if you want to take advantage of the intro APR offer.
You have 10 days from the day your card is approved to cancel any balance transfers you initiate. Just call the number on the back of your card.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. Residents of Puerto Rico and US territories are not eligible.
You need to provide information, such as:
- Full name and contact information.
- Employment and financial information.
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name.
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher to increase your chances of getting approved. As with most credit products, to get the best APR and credit limit you’ll want to apply with a higher credit score. Barclays usually pulls your credit from TransUnion.
What do customers say about the Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card?
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) accredited Barclays in 2001 and rated the bank with an A+. At the time of writing, 53 customer reviews in addition to the BBB rating land Barclays a composite score of 3.77 out of 5 stars. Most reviewers on the BBB site take issue with the bank’s customer service.
How to apply for the Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card
- Go to the Barclays website and find the Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card. Click Apply now.
- Complete the application with all the required details.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card?
Barclays usually makes an immediate decision on your application. In some cases, you may have to submit additional information and wait a few business days to a few weeks for your application to be processed.
Once approved, expect your card to arrive in the mail within seven to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Barclays app. Get access to your free FICO® score, set up automatic payments, track your spending and more.
- Make minimum payments. You won’t earn points for your purchases during a billing cycle if you don’t make the minimum payment.
- Avoid interest. You have a 23 day grace period to pay your balance. Try to make your payments by then to avoid paying interest on your purchases.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Barclays customer service at 866-928-8598.
Whether this is a good card for you comes down to how much you spend with Holland America Line. If you’re a regular cruiser, you’ll quickly accumulate points you can use for future trips — and not just for Holland America Line cruises.
If you don’t travel with Holland America Line often, you may want to compare general travel rewards cards.
Frequently asked questions