Secured card credit limits depend on your deposit. For example, if you deposit $200, your credit limit is $200, and a high credit limit of $5,000 requires a $5,000 deposit. The reason you need a secured deposit is for the provider to use your funds to cover your balance if you fail to pay your card bill.
You may find credit cards with maximum limits from $1,000 up to $10,000. The secured cards with the highest credit limits have no maximum limits at all.
Compare high limit secured credit cards
Here’s a list of cards that offer high maximum deposits. Note that while the DCU Visa® Platinum Secured Credit Card and SDFCU Savings Secured Visa Platinum Card are listed as having no maximum deposits, this is subject to change based on the credit unions’ discretion.
|Card||Minimum deposit||Maximum deposit||Annual fee|
|Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card||$49||See terms||$0|
|OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card||$200||$3,000||$35|
|Merrick Bank Secured Credit Card||$200||$3,000||$36|
|DCU Visa® Platinum Secured Credit Card||$500||Unlimited*||$0|
|SDFCU Savings Secured Visa Platinum Card||$250||Unlimited*||$0|
|Wells Fargo Secured Credit Card||$300||$25,000||$25|
|U.S. Bank Secured Visa® Card||$300||$5,000||$0|
|BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card||$300||$4,900||$0|
|Discover it® Secured||$200||$2,500||$0|
|Citi® Secured Mastercard®||$200||$2,500||$0|
|UNITY Visa® Secured Credit Card||$250||$10,000||$39|
Pros and cons
- Flexibility. You’ll have more room to increase your credit limit if you need to.
- Higher chances of approval. If there are weaknesses in your credit report, other providers might not give you high starting limits. By opening a high-limit secured card, you can give yourself a substantial limit.
- Refundable security deposit. No matter what you deposit, your money is almost always refundable as long as you’re not in default.
- Your credit limit is based on your security deposit. While a high-limit secured card might sound enticing, remember that you get a substantial limit only if you’ve given your provider a large amount of funds. This money typically doesn’t earn you interest like a savings account would.
- Annual fees. Many secured cards with high limits come with annual fees of $25 to $49, though you’ll find select products without annual fees.
- High APRs. While it might be tempting to run up high balances if you have a high credit limit, secured cards often have higher-than-average APRs. This means your card debt could accumulate faster than you think.
Compare secured credit cards
Secured-card limits vary widely, often from $1,000 to $10,000. With some providers, you’ll find no maximum limits. There are many great secured credit cards to choose from, so take your time and compare multiple options.
More guides on Finder
This free app can multiply (5x) your card rewards this holiday season
Kudos is a free app that helps match your rewards so you can earn more than double in cash back at popular stores.
Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping stats for 2023
Finder predicts that roughly 132 million Americans will buy something on Black Friday and spend $60 billion on sale items!
Porch pirates statistics
Porch piracy is alive and well, but there are ways to protect your deliveries this holiday season.
Black Friday statistics 2023
Americans love a good deal, but how many people will be shopping Black Friday sales this year?
6 online shopping hacks for a spooktacular Halloween and beyond
See how to save money when shopping for Halloween candy, costumes or getting a head start on holiday shopping with Kudos and other hacks.
8 best tips to build excellent credit scores
Getting your credit score from less than good to great.
5 free ways to turn card spending into charitable donations
Use these five tips to get more from your credit card spending and help organizations you care about without hurting your finances.
7 ways to protect your finances from credit card fraud
Practical tips for protecting yourself from credit card fraud.
$1.28 billion to be spent on turkey’s for Thanksgiving 2023
Americans are forecast to spend $1.1 billion on Thanksgiving turkeys in 2023.
How much will Americans spend on Jack-o’-Lanterns this Halloween?
Finder looks into the cost of a pumpkin for 2023 which shows Americans plan to spend $843.6 million pumpkin bill for Halloween.
Ask an Expert