You can usually pay with your card to get gas — with one notable exception.
If you pull into a gas station affiliated with a major fuel company, chances are you can use your credit card. There are a few exceptions, however: Only select ARCO gas stations accept credit cards.
Credit cards accepted at major gas stations
|Credit card type||Accepted at Chevron||Accepted at ExxonMobil||Accepted at Shell||Accepted at ARCO*||Accepted at 76/Phillips 66|
Compare gas credit cards
Most major gas stations accept credit cards
At most major gas-station chains, you can use your credit card — whether it’s from Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover.
A notable exception is ARCO, where you usually can use your debit card but not your credit card. This long-standing policy helps the company save on credit card processing fees.
Recently, the chain has experimented with accepting credit cards at select locations. If you’re not sure if your local ARCO gas station does, just give it a ring.
Best credit cards to use at gas stations
When choosing a gas credit card, look for a product that offers bonus rewards on fuel. Your ideal card might also offer elevated rewards for other categories that you spend heavily in.
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card
- No annual fee.
- 5x points on gas at the pump.
- 3x points on groceries; 1x points on everything else.
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
- No annual fee with a paid Costco membership.
- 4% cash back on eligible gas for the first $7,000 per year in purchases, then 1%.
- 3% cash back on dining and travel; 2% cash back at Costco and Costco.com; 1% cash back on everything else.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- $95 annual fee.
- 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%.
- 3% cash back at US gas stations; 1% cash back on other eligible purchases.
Fuel might be one of your most consistent purchases, in which case a credit card could be very helpful. The good news is most major gas stations accept credit cards.
Look for a gas card that will reward you for your fuel spending. Alternatively, look for a strong rewards product.