Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® review
A well-rounded card for an ultra-low-cost carrier.
- Get this card if you fly Frontier or dine out often, or if you can qualify for the $100 flight voucher each year
- Pick something else if you want rewards you can use for general travel redemptions.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 and above.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 5x
for the first year ($89 thereafter)
16.74%, 20.74% or 25.74%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($89 thereafter)|
|Welcome offer||Earn 50,000 bonus miles plus, $100 flight voucher after spending $1,000 on purchases and paying the annual fee in full, both within the first 90 days.|
|Rewards||5x miles on flyfrontier.com, 3x miles on dining and 1x miles on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||16.74%, 20.74% or 25.74% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first fifteen billing cycles (then 16.74% to 25.74% variable)|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen was a credit cards, banking and investments writer for Finder. His work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com.
The Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® could be worth its annual fee if you’re a frequent Frontier flyer. One highlight is its accelerated rewards for purchases on the Frontier Airlines website.
The signup bonus can go a long way too. With low point-costs for one-way flights, you can potentially get several flights out of the extra points.
And with enough spending in a card year, you’ll earn a flight voucher. This is a good perk that will help you offset the card’s annual fee.
How to apply for the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard®
- Go to the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® website and choose Apply now.
- Complete the application with details like your name, contact information, employment information and Social Security number.
- Review your information and select Apply to submit your application.
How long will approval take?
Typically, you’ll receive an immediate decision on your application. In rare cases, you may need to wait a few days to a few weeks until your application is manually approved.
Reaching Elite status in the FRONTIER Miles program
The Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® is arguably the best way to reach Elite status in Frontier’s frequent-flyer program.
With other airlines, you may only earn qualifying miles by flying or spending with partners. But Frontier’s card gives you Status Miles for every dollar spent.
The airline’s lowest Elite tier, Elite 20K, offers attractive cost savings. You’re allowed one complimentary carry-on per flight, for example, and you can select your seat at no additional cost.
- Signup bonus: 50,000 bonus miles.
To earn the bonus, make at least $1,000 in purchases within the first 90 days.
This bonus is worth $400 according to our valuation at the time of writing. Flights start at 10,000 miles each way within the US and Puerto Rico, so the bonus could be good for four one-way flights.
- Rewards: Up to 5x miles.
Earn 5x miles on purchases from the Frontier Airlines website. This is a strong rate, as Frontier miles are worth an average of 1 cent a piece according to our valuation. It’s like earning a 5 rewards rate.
Earn 3x miles on restaurant purchases and 1x miles on all other purchases.
- Earn Elite status: 1 Qualifying Mile per dollar spent on your card.
This will help you earn Elite Status faster. Noncardholders can only earn Elite Status by flying on Frontier.
With the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard®, you’ll earn 1 Qualifying Mile per dollar you spend. This means you can earn Elite Status without flying on the carrier. To reach the lowest Elite tier, Elite 20K, you’ll need 20,000 Qualifying Status Miles.
Also reach Elite 20K by flying 25 segments on Frontier.
- $100 Frontier Airlines Flight Voucher.
Qualify for this voucher each card year you spend at least $2,500 with your card. If you qualify, you’ll receive the voucher within six to eight weeks after your card anniversary.
Is the annual fee worth it?
The Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® has a $89 annual fee that isn’t waived for the first year.
If you want to break even on it with miles alone, you’ll need 7,900 miles.
How much to spend in each category to earn these miles
To give you an idea of how your spending would translate to miles, here’s how much you could spend in a single category to break even on the annual fee.
Spending by single categories
|Frontier Airlines purchases (5x)||Restaurants (3x)||All other purchases (1x)|
Here’s an example of spending that could help you break even on the annual fee:
|Category||Example yearly spending||Rewards rate||Miles earned|
|Frontier Airlines purchases||$500||5x||2,500|
|All other purchases||$2,400||1x||2,400|
Other perks that could make the annual fee worth paying
When considering whether this card is worth paying for, look at its non-reward perks too.
- $100 flight voucher.
This could make the card pay for itself. You’ll need to spend at least $2,500 on the card each year to earn it.
- Attaining Elite status.
The card can help you attain Elite status faster, which in turn could save you money on Frontier flights.
- Easier to keep miles.
Make one purchase with your card every six months to keep your miles from expiring.
You’ll also like …
- Award redemption fee waiver.
When you book award tickets with your card, redemption fees assessed by Frontier Airlines will be waived.
Frontier Airlines redemption fees
|180+ days before travel||Free|
|21–179 days before travel||$15|
|7–20 days before travel||$50|
|Fewer than 6 days before travel||$75|
- Intro APR: for 15 months on balance transfers. After that, 16.74%, 20.74% or 25.74% variable.This intro rate applies to balance transfers you make within the first 45 days of account opening.It’s a strong intro APR; introductory rates on balance transfers tend to top out at around 20 months.
- Access to Family Pooling.A Family Pool consists of you as the primary account holder and up to eight pool contributors. A pool lets multiple people contribute miles, which the primary account holder can use at their discretion.Family Pooling is only available to Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® members and Frontier Elites.
- Priority boarding.According to Barclays, the card gives you access to Zone 2 boarding.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee: $89
Annual-fee airline cards often cost around $95 a year.
- The intro APR applies only to transfers that post within the first 45 days of card membership.
If a transfer posts after the 45-day window, it’ll accrue interest immediately at a variable APR of 16.74%, 20.74% or 25.74%.
- Frontier is an ultra-low-cost carrier
The airline charges extra for privileges such as seat assignments and carry-on bags. You’ll also pay a redemption fee for award travel unless you book at least 180 days in advance.
Compare travel credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard®, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. Residents of Puerto Rico and US territories aren’t eligible.
Information you’ll need
- Full name
- Permanent address, time at permanent address and residence status
- Occupation and total annual gross income
- Date of birth, Social Security Number and mother’s maiden name
- Optional: myFRONTIER Miles number
Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® reviews and complaints
Some customers say they received their cards late or not at all after being approved. Others say they find award flight availability to be very limited.
Barclays Bank Delaware has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 2001. It has an A+ rating with the agency. At the same time, it has an average customer review of around 1 star. It also has over 1,100 customer complaints.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Register for an account at the Barclaycard website. You can pay your card bill online and enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases. To get this grace period, you must have started the billing period with a zero balance.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $40. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact Barclaycard customer service at 866-928-8598.
How do I redeem miles from the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard®?
Redeem your miles for flights or cruises on the Frontier website. Also redeem miles with Frontier’s partners at their respective websites.
|Shopping & Services|
How to redeem miles for flights
You can book flights directly from the Frontier homepage. While you input your flight information, you can choose to show fares in miles.
To redeem your miles, select a flight and log in to your FRONTIER Miles account. Remember to check taxes and other costs such as Frontier redemption fees.
The Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® can be effective for regular and occasional Frontier flyers alike.
If you’re a frequent traveler, you’ll earn strong rewards for online Frontier purchases. And if you travel just once in a while, you can offset the card’s fee by qualifying for the $100 flight voucher.
If you’re not sure the Frontier Airlines World Mastercard® is right for you, consider a general travel credit card.
Frequently asked questions
- If I qualify for the signup bonus, when will I receive my miles?
You’ll receive the miles in your FRONTIER Miles account four to six weeks after you qualify.
- Do FRONTIER Miles expire?
Yes. They expire if your account doesn’t have accrual activity for six consecutive months.Accrual activity includes:
- Earning miles by flying Frontier.
- Using your Frontier Airlines World Mastercard®.
- Using your FRONTIER Miles number with the airline’s earning partners.
- If I want to bring a carry-on bag, do I have to pay?
Yes. A carry-on bag costs $35 per flight. You won’t have to pay for your carry-on if you’re an Elite member.
- Am I assigned a seat when I book a Frontier flight?
Your Frontier fare doesn’t include a seat assignment. However, you can purchase an assignment for a fee. Standard seating starts at $6 per flight. Stretch seating starts at $20 per flight.